Gaining muscle weight, but not losing fat???

Options
124»

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Eat at maintenance and lift heavy. 3200 sounds like you're bulking Are you certain you're logging accurately?

Not 100% accurate but trying. I was going based off the MFP profile that i did. I will try and see if the results start to show. Shooting for 2400 and go from there.

Using a food scale is pretty important when you're looking for accuracy. Eating at maintenance or 250 under, while lifting heavy is a recomp. It takes a tremendous amount of time, but the results are nice. If you're a new lifter, you're enjoying the time of "newbie gains" right now, so ride that train!
  • dfavela1988
    dfavela1988 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    lol i like the gains but would the love the dip in weight. Many say that for my height thats a good weight but i disagree.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,786 Member
    Options
    OK: I see too many conversations here. The 2400 @Mr_Knight suggests is approximately 1000 Cal below his eyball estimate of where you would maintain today and is designed for weight loss. So is my suggestion that you check out your TDEE at your target weight.

If you are trying to recomp you would be eating at or just slightly below your current maintenance level. You would be noticing almost no changes in your weight, up or down.

Regardless. Have you been gaining weight slowly? -250Cal will probably stop that. -500Cal will probably be a slight deficit. -750 to -1000Cal will probably result in weight loss.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    2400 sounds like a good place to start. But your logging has to be accurate so can assess how well that is working. I'm 6'2" and easily lose 1 lb/week at ~2250. Have maintained weight at ~2650 for over a year.
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about lifting weights but I do know that you are not going to lose muscle unless you don't eat enough calories based on your weight and activity level. Your body starts using muscle as fuel when it thinks it's starving.
  • dfavela1988
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    OK: I see too many conversations here. The 2400 @Mr_Knight suggests is approximately 1000 Cal below his eyball estimate of where you would maintain today and is designed for weight loss. So is my suggestion that you check out your TDEE at your target weight.

If you are trying to recomp you would be eating at or just slightly below your current maintenance level. You would be noticing almost no changes in your weight, up or down.

Regardless. Have you been gaining weight slowly? -250Cal will probably stop that. -500Cal will probably be a slight deficit. -750 to -1000Cal will probably result in weight loss.

Thanks guys. Been missing with the settings of the app. What exaclty my TDEE at?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Thanks guys. Been missing with the settings of the app. What exaclty my TDEE at?
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

MFP doesn't figure TDEE. It uses the NEAT method, where it figures your calorie requirements before exercise and expects you to log the exercise and then adds them in.
    You can use online calculators to figure your TDEE then manually set your calorie goal.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com is a popular one.
  • dfavela1988
    Options
    So my TDEE is 3800 on fitness frog. Sounds a bit off. 6'4 264.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options

Try scooby's calculator. These are all estimates, so you will need to adjust based on real world personal experience.
  • dfavela1988
    Options
    OK so on scooby's bmr is 2466 the TDEE is 3824 and with a 20% deduction about 3000. So to lose 1.4 pounds a week I need to intake 3000 calories a week?
  • dfavela1988
    Options
    So on scooby's my bmr is 2622 and TDEE is at 3824 and with a 20% deduction it comes at 3000. So I would need to intake 3000 calories to lose 1.4 pounds a week?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

That's way off. Don't worry about TDEE, the numbers are all just guesses, especially as BF% goes > 30. Eat at your 2400 and you'll find your TDEE based on your weight loss.

If you really need a calculator, use the one at IIFYM and set it to Katch McCardle...

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked how well this conversation went.

I am in agreement with everyone, especially Mr. Knight. I was going to suggest 2500 cals or thereabouts. Either way, I think 2400 gives you enough padding that if you aren't completely accurate as sometimes it's hard to be, you will still remain in a deficit assuming you don't go crazy.

• dfavela1988
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I'm shocked how well this conversation went.

I am in agreement with everyone, especially Mr. Knight. I was going to suggest 2500 cals or thereabouts. Either way, I think 2400 gives you enough padding that if you aren't completely accurate as sometimes it's hard to be, you will still remain in a deficit assuming you don't go crazy.
    Agreed thanks for the help guys and gals. I've seen other post and ended up bad. So glad we all got on page with the topic hopefully I can continue this journey to lose weight while keeping the muscle.