any binge eaters who have over come it?

Options
2»

Replies

• ReadynWillin
    ReadynWillin Posts: 104
    Options
    Sadly, yes.
    When I feel tempted to binge, I immediately go do either something entertaining that I love or something that relieves stress (whichever the occasion calls for). But that all starts with asking myself "why" I feel the need to binge. I found that when I take time to question myself, I also take control of the situation, so I'm less likely to give into the temptation.

More practical advice: try to plan your meals in advance. Eat "filling" food (often with high fiber content--hot liquids make you feel "full" as well) when you do eat. So, some vegetables rather than processed carbs and meat only, and fruit in place of processed sugary desserts on most occasions. This will help curtail the desire to binge, just because your stomach "feels" fuller. And try to eat your meals throughout the day rather than skipping breakfast/lunch and eating a single large dinner.

Hope that helps some.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    i don't know if i'd say i *overcame* it, but my psychiatrist put me on prozac a week ago and i haven't really binged since then. of course, if you're not depressed or severely eating disordered, medication is probably not a good choice.

I went on prozac earlier this Spring and it has been a HUGE help with my eating. I was a binge eater for at least 10 years and as I got out of college it just kept getting worse and worse. I tried MFP unsuccessfully many times because I would give in to binge eating. I found it took my body awhile to adjust to prozac but now I honestly do not have the urge to overeat. I still get cravings, but I can eat a normal portion of those foods and honestly feel completely satisfied. I still amaze myself- I was never able to do that before! For most of my life I wasn't able to just eat one or two cookies- I'd have to have at least 10 of them. Now it's no problem for me.

I do a "cheat meal" once a week (not all day, just one meal with dessert) but I still try to keep that day around 2,000 calories so it won't throw everything off track. I eat whatever I want, but in normal portions.
  • heartworth9
    heartworth9 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like books that deal with emotional eating:

Just 10 pounds by Brad Lamm
    http://www.amazon.com/Just-10-LBS-Weighing-Finally/dp/1401931790

A Course in Weight Loss by Marianne Williamson
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Marianne-Williamson-Course-Weight-Loss-Tips-23049284

Adequate vit D3 helps my mood as well as adequate exercise. Emotional eating is difficult to come to terms with. Night time especially. If I want that "full feeling" at night, I think it was in part because I was not eating 3 meals a day before. So I came to my evening hours feeling hungrier. Raiding the fridge at night, no matter how healthy my choices or well meaning, is like shooting myself in the foot. I don't want to use food as a weapon to hurt myself anymore, for any reason.

Hope these books help.
  • GKoz004
    GKoz004 Posts: 87
    Options
    I've been binge free for almost 3 months now. Ironically, I'm up 10lbs haha :(

I increased calories to try to repair my metabolism, but I guess I went about it the wrong way? Idk, but since I've been eating more, I've never felt the urge to binge.

Another thing I've done is set up an instagram. I prepare my food, make it look nice and pretty, then take a photo. It's kind of like accountability. You see what you're eating. I'd rather see a nice, healthy, well portioned meal as opposed to an entire box of cereal, half a pint of ice cream, and like 4 muffins haha.