The Thug Kitchen Cookbook

Options
Hypsibius
Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
This made me laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar7g_26QWu0

Eat like you give a *kitten*. I may need to gift this book to some people...

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I love the Thug Kitchen cookbook. Hilarious!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The use of swearing to entice people to buy the book made me wonder how good it was. Good cookbooks don't need that, KWIM? The backlash over racism convinced me not to get it.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I think it's hilarious. Tee hee. I don't think swearing is a bad thing.
  • initialsdeebee
    initialsdeebee Posts: 83 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    The use of swearing to entice people to buy the book made me wonder how good it was. Good cookbooks don't need that, KWIM? The backlash over racism convinced me not to get it.

Yes! Thanks for this comment. Swearing in and of itself is not a problem for me. Co-opting an excessive and unnecessary use of lingo obviously associated with "working class"/ "urban" communities in an attempt to evoke the experience of or relate to them (or to just make your book seem unique, kitchy, quirky, spunky or whatever) is way obnoxious and inappropriate. Plus it's just annoying to read. Too many words.

I will add though, on a positive note, that it was mildly redeeming that the author stressed that health foods do not need to be for the rich. Even though he made this more the problem of the presumed low-income, under-privilaged reader rather than a greater societal problem, I appreciated that he at least sort of hinted at a problem of whole/healthy eating too often being the cultural and financial territory white, middle and upper class populations with access to education.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I love the blog and the cookbook. It's absolutely amazing. The recipes are great, yummy, and easy to make. We have many on rotation here. They also work for a lot of food preferences. Most, if not all, of the recipes are vegan in the book, so whether you are looking to do a "Meatless Monday" thing or choose to replace tempeh with ground beef, it can cater to many, many things.

As far as the swearing is concerned... Are you aware of the blog? That's been around for years? That's what got attention. It doesn't make sense for it to be edited out. It makes me sad that people are apparently judging the quality of the recipes based on the presence of swearing, especially because it isn't actually that pervasive, instead of just saying that the swearing offends you. What year is it again? I think it's a fun hook, to be quite honest, especially since a lot of people seem to think that cooking is a super difficult skill. It can be, but it often doesn't have to be.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I followed the couple on facebook for a long time. Their recipes are fantastic and relatively easy to make. They have a second book coming out.
  • autumn_skye
    autumn_skye Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love this book! I think the swearing is funny and they kind of take the stress out of preparing meals perfectly. They offer up substitute ideas for ingredients and make vegan cooking fun and accessible
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    I love the blog and the cookbook. It's absolutely amazing. The recipes are great, yummy, and easy to make. We have many on rotation here. They also work for a lot of food preferences. Most, if not all, of the recipes are vegan in the book, so whether you are looking to do a "Meatless Monday" thing or choose to replace tempeh with ground beef, it can cater to many, many things.

As far as the swearing is concerned... Are you aware of the blog? That's been around for years? That's what got attention. It doesn't make sense for it to be edited out. It makes me sad that people are apparently judging the quality of the recipes based on the presence of swearing, especially because it isn't actually that pervasive, instead of just saying that the swearing offends you. What year is it again? I think it's a fun hook, to be quite honest, especially since a lot of people seem to think that cooking is a super difficult skill. It can be, but it often doesn't have to be.
    I'm not offended by the swearing, lol. I'm just not impressed by it. I won't be shocked. I won't giggle. That all ended when I was about twelve years old.

I don't want a cookbook that draws attention because the author swears.

Then there was the whole racism issue. It kind of pissed me off. I was so glad I'd passed on that book.

The author is a punk. There, I said it. Thug life.