Suck in abs while running?

Options
Just wondering if you should lol. When I run I sometimes touch my abs to feel if they're working, I guess... It varies, but I try to keep them engaged. Is it good, bad? What should I be doing? :smile:

Replies

• joeysfacts
    joeysfacts Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's never a bad thing to try to keep them engaged. I even try and keep them tight when sitting at the desk working.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    i use the elliptical instead of running but i do try to keep my core engaged while doing it.
  • jesssi1984
    jesssi1984 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ^agreed, you can't properly breathe if you are "sucking in"... Considering you should be filling your lungs. I think this would lead to exhaustion rather quick and endurance would suffer. Now if you just mean "engaged" by all means, as long as it doesn't impair breathing.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Doing this is just asking to get a stitch in your side while running. I wouldn't recommend it.

ETA: Completely agree with the two previous posters about it impairing your breathing as well.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    What is the reasoning behind this? If you think it will give you six pack abs, um, no. Plus, how can you take a deep breath?
  • GenF32
    GenF32 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I was only noticing last night how much harder it is to keep my abs locked when running - maybe because as Pu_239 suggests we use our stomachs more for breathing when running?
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I know it won't give me a 6 pack or do anything significant, I just thought I read somewhere that your core should be engaged to stabilize yourself and something about your hips. But I probably took it the wrong way, thats why I asked.

I can keep my abs engaged/flexed/idon'tknowwhattocallit while running with no problems, I just have to make a conscious effort towards it.. my knees and ankles give out sooner than my endurance. :smile: Just weighing pros and cons I guess.

I don't focus too much on my breathing, I just know I breathe out my nose for 3 counts and in for 2, I pace myself pretty well so its never been a struggle for me. But thank you.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    i didn't know you suppose to relax your stomach. i suck in stomach normally. actually, i don't think i ever relax my stomach while standing up.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If your goal is getting a solid core then go ahead and flex it while you run, but your running performance will suffer because it prevents you from maximizing your lung capacity. If your goal is to run in the most efficient manner, then you need to breathe from your belly , meaning you need to inhale so much air that your belly expands instead of staying tight.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Your core muscles brace your spine. You should have some tension but not 100%. You can still breathe properly with a small amount of core tension. No you should not "suck it in".
  • FretheMJsmokingcannibal
    Options
    Your core muscles brace your spine. You should have some tension but not 100%. You can still breathe properly with a small amount of core tension. No you should not "suck it in".

^ This, times a thousand.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    You should be focusing on running when you run.
  • jesssi1984
    jesssi1984 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Umm matter of opinion, my biggest problem previously was the stitch in the side type problem.. Not my knees, not my legs, not my feet... Nothin but breathing is on my mind. In through my nose, out through my mouth. Filling my lungs. Endurance through breathing is key for me. It's almost like I hit a point where I don't think about running, I just do it. I've never heard I anyone worried about core/abs though. Good posture is always important for anything and to have good posture your back and core have to be working ;)
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    How would you breathe?
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options

Form is part of running. I engage my core to watch my posture, but I agree with posters about breathing from the diaphragm. Don't be afraid to puff your belly out when you breathe.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    No, it will impair your breathing... If you're breathing from the chest you're breathing incorrectly... breathe from the stomach.

The above is correct. Cardio is not strength training and strength is not cardio. Don't try to combine them. Never hold your abs tight when doing cardio. Make sure to breathe properly and allow complete expansion of your lungs.
    Do your abs after.