Thoughts about treadmills?

Options
While I love walking outdoors, there are only a couple of walking trails where I live and they are only half a mile. All roads outside of my small neighborhood (one mile walk with almost no shade) are two-lane highways. So most of my walking is done on the treadmill at the Y.

I can watch television, play with the speed and incline, program in my stats to get a relative close assessment as to how many calories I've burned, and can check my heart rate. But I would much rather what I had where I used to live: A two-mile track with every quarter mile marked that opened at 5:00 am with plenty of other people there. The only decent trail in a park here doesn't open until 8:00 am, sigh!

Replies

• JustChristy79
    JustChristy79 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Well, I run every morning & walk every night. I also have a treadmill in my garage...which I've literally never stepped on! My husband thought I might like it for "rainy days" but what's better than running in the rain!? I like go to outside & get fresh air. I'll pass on treadmills.
  • deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Personally I hate them now I'm comfortable on the road, but they're low impact and usually have a few motivators built in, so they serve a noble goal, just not my cup of tea.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are the handiwork of Lucifer.

Honestly... if my only choice to run were on a treadmill, I think I'd give up running.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Running is more enjoyable outside; and I'm sure it's a bit tougher too.

• williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a treadmil. less impact on the joints but understand that 2 miles on the treadmil is not the same as 2 miles outside. still, it can help you get in shape so that's the positive side to it.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I like them for practicing interval runs, for when it's too hot outside (or inclement weather)... when I have my kids, I like the free childcare at the YMCA, but I can't leave the gym so on the treadmill I go.

I actually don't mind the monotony of it - I listen to good music and I'm constantly changing the speed at regular intervals to keep it interesting.

Of course, I like to run outside too for a change of pace, but that gets boring too - I only have a few different routes around my house and it gets boring after awhile too.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I <3 my treadmill. Seriously. Being in the 100's outside with really high humidity, (like hitting a wall of wet heat when I step outside!) I can pop on my headphones, shut the door to the garage and be in my own space for a while. I will be walking more outside in the fall when the kids are back in school and it's cooler but I do anywhere from 3-8 miles a day on it.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Depends on the circumstances treadmills can be very helpful. I just started to run and my immediate goal is a 5K. I would love to train outside, but unfortunately I don't have the time to do it. I literally have one hour between work and school in the afternoon Monday to Thursday, so my only option is to use the treadmill early in the morning. I am trying to run in an outside track at least two days between Friday and Sunday. Also in harsh winters treadmills can be helpful.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use them when the weather gets awful (storms, freezing cold, sweltering heat) and I am not a fan. I like them best for running intervals, where I can vary things and fiddle with the pace to keep it somewhat interesting. Otherwise it is outside running for me!
  • Runningman_78
    Runningman_78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well, I run every morning & walk every night. I also have a treadmill in my garage...which I've literally never stepped on! My husband thought I might like it for "rainy days" but what's better than running in the rain!? I like go to outside & get fresh air. I'll pass on treadmills.
    My feelings exactly, nothing better than being outdoors regardless of the conditions
  • Pattie74
    Pattie74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a treadmil. less impact on the joints but understand that 2 miles on the treadmil is not the same as 2 miles outside. still, it can help you get in shape so that's the positive side to it.
    Can you explain the difference?

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it's better than nothing. i understand using one in case of inclement weather, or lack of proper trails and roads, but i prefer outside.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are awesome if the weather outside is awful. I park it in front of a TV and bang out an hour +/- when the weather is too bad to go outside. Wonderful in brutal winters...did I mention the TV? Incredibly boring plodding along in one spot.

#1) Don't forget: DO NOT HOLD ON and SWING YOUR ARMS or you are cheating on a treadmill.

#2) If you are doing the water-skiing pose on your treadmill - see #1 - and lower the incline until you can DO IT RIGHT.

Good day ;-)
  • deathninja82
    Options
    Pattie74 wrote: »
    Can you explain the difference?

Not wanting to steal this other Will's thunder, but... it's a lot easier biomechanically to run on a 'mill (IIRC you need 1-3% incline to compensate for wind) However the soft surface and lack of wind resistance means that some people prefer it, and if it burns calories and makes you feel good who's to judge?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I am sad for you that you don't have many nice places to walk near your home. If I had to rely on a treadmill I don think I ever would have take up running.

No, actually I'm sure I wouldn't have. It appeals to me in no way whatsoever.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are awesome if the weather outside is awful. I park it in front of a TV and bang out an hour +/- when the weather is too bad to go outside. Wonderful in brutal winters...did I mention the TV? Incredibly boring plodding along in one spot.

#1) Don't forget: DO NOT HOLD ON and SWING YOUR ARMS or you are cheating on a treadmill.

#2) If you are doing the water-skiing pose on your treadmill - see #1 - and lower the incline until you can DO IT RIGHT.

Good day ;-)

There was a thread a couple of months ago about people holding on while on the TM. The majority said it was okay. I forgot about it until today, when I was testing higher inclines and was holding on to check my heart rate. You are absolutely right about cheating! It's not just that you aren't swinging your arms, but you don't have to keep your balance which is probably a large part of the calories burned.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I love walking on the treadmill and I like doing short sprint intervals on it. Regular steady running, though, is a no go for me when it comes to the treadmill.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    However the soft surface and lack of wind resistance means that some people prefer it, and if it burns calories and makes you feel good who's to judge?

I'm not seeing anyone judge the OP or other treadmill users.

Those who are anti-treadmill are anti-treadmill for their own purposes and preferences.

Some start on treadmills and never venture outside. But for those who do it's a whole other world out there. Explore your neighborhood or one several away on the streets and sidewalks, loop through city park trails, ramble on rural roads, traverse mountain paths, zip along lake or river-side routes, ridge running, oh my - so much variation! Never boring.
  • deathninja82
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    However the soft surface and lack of wind resistance means that some people prefer it, and if it burns calories and makes you feel good who's to judge?

I'm not seeing anyone judge the OP or other treadmill users.

Those who are anti-treadmill are anti-treadmill for their own purposes and preferences.

Some start on treadmills and never venture outside. But for those who do it's a whole other world out there. Explore your neighborhood or one several away on the streets and sidewalks, loop through city park trails, ramble on rural roads, traverse mountain paths, zip along lake or river-side routes, ridge running, oh my - so much variation! Never boring.

Might have been pre-empting a bit there, mea culpa. No complaint with the message though.

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I like treadmills for doing HIIT workouts or hill intervals. For longer runs or WALKING?!?! No fu*#ing way