Advocare 24 day challenge

Options
124»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    wow... I am sooo bummed out right now. So today I finished my 24 day challenge and I didn't lose a single pound in the so called Max Phase..not one. I lost 5 pounds in the Cleanse phase.The thing is I am not so upset about the pills working or not working but I am frustrated because I was eating super clean, documenting everything I ate and exercising. The fact that I didn't lose any more weight in the past 2 weeks makes me wonder if I am ever going to meet my goal weight again...At this point I really don't know what to do. I am going back to bed.. ugh

How much weight are you trying to lose because 1200 calories or less is pretty low. And if you are exercising, its your body fighting you for lack of fuel. But if you want some help post your height weight age and workout routines and we can get you on a better path.

On a different path, not a better path. No one plan is better than any other.

Also please note I don't and never have pushed anything here. I merely share what has worked for me. Have a fallen off the wagon from time to time? Sure. To err is human.

I disagree. Not all paths/plans are equal.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    wow... I am sooo bummed out right now. So today I finished my 24 day challenge and I didn't lose a single pound in the so called Max Phase..not one. I lost 5 pounds in the Cleanse phase.The thing is I am not so upset about the pills working or not working but I am frustrated because I was eating super clean, documenting everything I ate and exercising. The fact that I didn't lose any more weight in the past 2 weeks makes me wonder if I am ever going to meet my goal weight again...At this point I really don't know what to do. I am going back to bed.. ugh

How much weight are you trying to lose because 1200 calories or less is pretty low. And if you are exercising, its your body fighting you for lack of fuel. But if you want some help post your height weight age and workout routines and we can get you on a better path.

Also please note I don't and never have pushed anything here. I merely share what has worked for me. Have a fallen off the wagon from time to time? Sure. To err is human.

I disagree...if all you've lost is 10lbs in all this time and most of it during a 'cleanse' phase, your plan isn't remotely as good as a simple FREE calorie deficit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks guys.. I had to take a break from documenting because I was just too mad.. Anyway, when I told my Advocare coach what happened she told me "that has never happened ever".. Great. I know I followed the program to the detail so I guess it just wasn't for me. Anyway, I'm moving on now. I still need to lose weight and get healthy so I just have to keep doing what I can do.. I think someone asked me about the weight I have to lose etc. I am 5'8 3/4 (yes, 3/4):smile: Now I weigh 164.5. My goal weight is 140. I am medium frame. I have always struggled with my weight but I had maintained 140 give or take 5 pounds until about 5 years ago. I am in my late thirties. Thanks for the support.

whats your exercise routine like and how old are you? I can run some numbers and hopefully give you a better and more sustainable plan that will actually provide results.
  • missysjas
    Options
    Anyone with 15 lbs or less to lose, do well on this?
  • missysjas
    Options
    Thanks for your response. For me I think carbs do matter some because a few weeks before Advocare I ate 1200 calories and gained 1.4 pounds. Thanks to fitness pal I tracked EVERYTHING and realized I was eating like 140-160 grams of carbs. When I dropped the carbs to like 100, I lost weight (2 pounds the next week). Now I do have a thyroid issue which I have been told makes it difficult to lose weight--who knows. I'm just trying to figure this thing out here without losing my mind in the process. I am on day 18 of the Advocare 24 day challenge and what I know for sure is I will not be doing it again. There are just too many pills for me and I don't feel right. I did lose 5 pounds on the 'cleanse' phase and I should've stopped there but I had to go sign up for 24 days so I am going to finish it. I am not sure if I am still losing weight or not because I really don't feel like I am, but I am following the plan and will weigh in on Friday... I just can't wait to stop taking all of these pills!

what thyroid meds are you on? Are you optimal?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.. I had to take a break from documenting because I was just too mad.. Anyway, when I told my Advocare coach what happened she told me "that has never happened ever".. Great. I know I followed the program to the detail so I guess it just wasn't for me. Anyway, I'm moving on now. I still need to lose weight and get healthy so I just have to keep doing what I can do.. I think someone asked me about the weight I have to lose etc. I am 5'8 3/4 (yes, 3/4):smile: Now I weigh 164.5. My goal weight is 140. I am medium frame. I have always struggled with my weight but I had maintained 140 give or take 5 pounds until about 5 years ago. I am in my late thirties. Thanks for the support.

whats your exercise routine like? I can run some numbers and hopefully give you a better and more sustainable plan that will actually provide results.

I'd give Psulemon's ideas a shot. At least they are free!!! Also, I doubt you are the only one that it has happened to and personally have found that it is the sales person's "free from liability" go to phrase when a customer is upset with the results of an item.
  • tamikas3
    tamikas3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    3x/week I do a crossfit like class. It is called total body training. It lasts 50 minutes. 3x/week I do elliptical for 30 min. intervals burn around 230-260 calories. 1-2x/week yoga- basically for stretching because I have trouble with flexibility and old knee injury from high school. Thanks again for the feedback.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi,
    3x/week I do a crossfit like class. It is called total body training. It lasts 50 minutes. 3x/week I do elliptical for 30 min. intervals burn around 230-260 calories. 1-2x/week yoga- basically for stretching because I have trouble with flexibility and old knee injury from high school. Thanks again for the feedback.

So for a person without hypothyroidism I would suggest 1900 calories but with that condition your body will naturally burn less calories. A lot of times its around 400 or 500 calories less than a person without a condition. With that said leta try 1500 calories with macros around 30% carb 40 % protein and 30% fats. Also try to get most of your carbs from veggies. There are a few thyroid issues group whcih you can search that might be very helpful in your process. I will be the first to admit I dont know every thing about this medical conditions so I would definitely validate my information in the group.

Next as someone suggested, are your medications good. Its possible you may have swap to allow for weight loss. I would definitely compare in the group as well.

Good luck. If you have more questions let me know or friend me. If I dont know I can point you in the right direction.

Lemon
  • tamikas3
    tamikas3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will try it. I am not taking meds at this time but being 'monitored' by my doc every 6 months because I am considered borderline. He doesn't want to put me on meds yet. I am over my pity party so I am going to get back on it and try the combination you suggested.
  • JorisSt
    JorisSt Posts: 36
    Options
    I followed a Protein Diet, i lost 15lbs so i'm on the right track.

For me it really helps when i eat normal food that i only eat products with low carbs. Instead of many slices of bread i eat only two each day. I try also to eat less patatoes and rice and opther high carb products. I eat more vegetables and meat.
    For me this really works great, and during the diet i follow now i eat little proteine baggs with lots of different flavors. Some are good and some are not so tasty. You have to find your way in the flavors.
  • frenchy41474
    Options
    I just received my Advocare 24 day challenge. I am pretty excited about it. I have was diagnosed with thyroid problems in 2006, had two children after that and gained 45 lbs since. I hope this is a start to getting healthy again.... Wish me luck
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I just received my Advocare 24 day challenge. I am pretty excited about it. I have was diagnosed with thyroid problems in 2006, had two children after that and gained 45 lbs since. I hope this is a start to getting healthy again.... Wish me luck

Good luck!
  • AmyH465
    Options
    I tried the 24 day challenge. A close friend of mine joined as a distributor and kept bugging me about doing this. I went to one of her wine and cheese meat and greets and heard about the program and met a few of her fellow distributors. My honest first impression was that this is a cult. All the girls and guys that were there that I knew were in Advocare were so cheesy nice that it felt fake. I was shocked at how expensive their products were. I can see now why people join as a distributor. They get a discount on the inflated prices. I went away from that evening with an uneasy feeling and honestly felt bad for my friend. She'd recently lost a pet she was really close to and I felt she was looking for some kind of new direction for her life. I thought about it and after weeks of her pestering me I spend the money and started on my 24 day challenge. I honestly went into this with a positive outlook and was hoping it would be all my friend said it would be. The Spark drinks aren't too bad kind of like the flavored metamucil. I did get a little buzz after drinking 2 8 oz glasses. But I crashed about 4 hours later and felt like ****, that's when I'd drink another 8 oz glass of Spark. The supplements were freaking horse pills and there are so many of them but I took them on schedule. The first week is the cleanse, I didn't lose a pound or any inches and that herbal cleanse gave me the runs and gastric issues so bad! That stuff tastes nasty. I tried mixing it with my spark and just downing it in two gulps but it made me want to throw up, That was the worst of the 3 weeks. The next 2 weeks are the rebuild and I lost 5 lbs. I'd eat an egg for breakfast, do the shake for lunch, take my Max3 supplement horse pills and exercise 40 minutes every day. After the 24 day challenge I didn't feel like I had any extra energy or feel like a new me. I think I would have gotten the same results by watching what I ate, like I did, and exercise, like I did. I honestly don't believe the challenge supplements did anything for me. I can buy protein shakes at Costco, or Sam's a lot cheaper and my daily multi-vitamin feels all my daily requirements. I honestly gave Advocare a fair chance and all I can say is I believe anyone looking into this, be careful, It's a pyramid scheme and I also think it's a cult. My friend has shunned me because I failed on the 24 day challenge and told her exactly what I thought and my concerns for her. I still call, just to stay in touch and hope one day she'll come to her senses.
  • AmyH465
    Options
    Have you noticed how for every negative comment someone posts a reply trying to mitigate the reasons the reviewer gave for not liking Advocare and their products? Like I said in my post I believe Advocare is a cult. It's my opinion that Advocare members troll sites like these and when they see a negative post they sign up enmasse with their friends and post opposing replies. Also as I said in my other post my friend has been sucked into this scam. Her FB page is nothing but Advocare this and Advocare that. Her Advocare friends post comments touting the benefits and how many lives they've changed. According to a recent study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1789253 Supplements and Vitamins, like those pushed by Advocare reps are a waste of time. Why waste $200, use that money for some new clothes, just watch what you eat, move around more and get some exercise. It's common sense. Before you try Advocare you might want to read these articles.

Advocare: What they don't want you to know!

http://www.pissedconsumer.com/reviews-by-company/advocare/advocare-what-they-don-t-want-you-to-know-20110629245985.html

Is Advocare Healthy?

http://lindsayleighbentley.com/2013/07/11/is-advocare-healthy/

Acute Effects of Advocare Spark

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CIIBEBYwCQ&url=http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2067&context=etd&ei=qD3qUuuvBOmCygH284DwBw&usg=AFQjCNHM1mcTqWRfjDB0psh87K2SLt62JA&sig2=wUey6lIDUeKoypHpuj8_0A&bvm=bv.60444564,d.aWc

Advocare Allergic Reactions?

http://www.pissedconsumer.com/reviews-by-company/advocare/advocare-allergic-reaction-20130618420468.html
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I did it because I knew I needed a "jump start" after several "false starts" and a plan to really commit and get in good habits again. Also, having a personal coach helped a great deal with inspiration and support. True you can do it on your own. For me paying the $ helped me commit and stay on target. The vitamins, & amino acids helped me ease off of carbs without intense hunger. I lost 4% body fat and 13 lbs. It is true you can do the same on your own and save $, but If I could do it on my own I wouldn't be overweight to begin with, so I think it depends on your personality/support, etc. The $ I spend on the products are less than what I paid at my naturopath to cope with my unhealthy eating. I used the basic plan, not any of the extra ad-ons. They do have a 100% money back guarantee so if it doesn't work for you, you aren't out any money. Good luck in whatever decision you make!

If it's a matter of sticking with something because you paid a lot of money to do it, you can pay me the money and I'll call you ten times a day. For enough money, I'll take a leave of absence from my job and park myself on your sofa while clearing out all the junk carbs out of your pantry.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

If a plan is something that you repeatedly fall off of, then it isn't a good plan. I am human and I err plenty, but the plan I made for my nutrition and fitness was designed to be permanent.
  • chuls1
    chuls1 Posts: 1
    Options
    So, I really feel like I need to give you some info. I didn't read through all the comments, so I don't know if anyone has said anything like this. I am a college student and two years ago was diagnosed with pcos and hypothyroid (Hashimotos) and I was only 19. It made sense seeing as how I always only was able to sleep one or two hours a night and my body just couldn't turn itself off. Well I was really depressed for years, but didn't really tell anyone or pay attention to that, until I was too overwhelmed by college, too tired, wasn't eating for days that my mom made me go to the doctor. They put me on antidepressants which I did not want any part of at all. While my mom knew hormone problems run in the family, I got tested for everything imaginable and it came back hypothyroid and my levels were not crazy, but crazy enough to affect ME. I then refused to continue taking antidepressants and I started seeing an endocrinologist for thyroid and was put on synthroid, which seemed to work at first....until a few months later I gained 35 pounds in less than three weeks. It was like my thyroid just completely shut off. So my mom and I did a whole ton of research and if you have thyroid problems YOU need to know everything about it by doing YOUR own research and start with the book titled "stop the thyroid madness". This is coming from first hand and I am a medical school student. Anyway, realizing that pharmaceutical companies make a KILLING off synthroid and knowing it obviously wasn't working, we "fired" my doctor and found a doctor who prescribes Armour, which is the natural pig thyroid that doctors no longer advocate, even though it has been used for thousands of years. If you aren't on armour , I would seriously find a doctor who prescribes it and make an appointment as soon as you can. The week I started taking it, I lost 5 pounds, and had energy! It was amazing! It's because instead if fake synthesized synthroid being a chemical, armour is a natural thyroid hormone itself and actually converts the specific levels that thyroid patients need (t4 into t3) which synthroid does NOT do! I would really recommend into researchig this and advocating YOUR own healthcare. Don't let the dr tell you how your body is. If he shad you are borderline, but your life and your body FEEL like you need medicine, he needs to put you on medicine. Their scAles and ranges they use are not even all equivalent. Different doctors have different ranges which they want to start giving you medicine. That's not how it works though. When I started taking armour it took a couple months to get levels evened out and the dosage right because the thyroid is SOOO finicky and everyone is DIFFERENT. The best advice I can give you is look into armour, and if your doctor doesn't do it, GET ANOTHER DOCTOR WHO WILL. I have learned fast that you have to advocate for yourself in this area based on how you FEEL and if your doctor is a good one he will work with you, not tell you what to do. Doctors still have so much unknown in this area and they are simply taught prescribe synthroid that's how you treat it, but everyone is different. My doctor told me protein and no carbs, no sugar, and that includes very little fruit. Lots of veggies and meat, but I have lost 30 lbs in the past few months just by having my thyroid work and eating that way. That was without exercise! Another tip, your body may be different but alpt of research has shown that thyroid patients seem to actually need MORE calories than 1200-1500 in order to lose weight and I have actually found lately that when I restrict my food, I can't lost weight, but if I'm eating right and eat when I am hungry, it seems to come off. I hope you do look into this , because it really has changed my life and the path my health could have been going down. It sucks pretty bad to gain 35 pounds in 2.5 weeks.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    So, I really feel like I need to give you some info. I didn't read through all the comments, so I don't know if anyone has said anything like this. I am a college student and two years ago was diagnosed with pcos and hypothyroid (Hashimotos) and I was only 19. It made sense seeing as how I always only was able to sleep one or two hours a night and my body just couldn't turn itself off. Well I was really depressed for years, but didn't really tell anyone or pay attention to that, until I was too overwhelmed by college, too tired, wasn't eating for days that my mom made me go to the doctor. They put me on antidepressants which I did not want any part of at all. While my mom knew hormone problems run in the family, I got tested for everything imaginable and it came back hypothyroid and my levels were not crazy, but crazy enough to affect ME. I then refused to continue taking antidepressants and I started seeing an endocrinologist for thyroid and was put on synthroid, which seemed to work at first....until a few months later I gained 35 pounds in less than three weeks. It was like my thyroid just completely shut off. So my mom and I did a whole ton of research and if you have thyroid problems YOU need to know everything about it by doing YOUR own research and start with the book titled "stop the thyroid madness". This is coming from first hand and I am a medical school student. Anyway, realizing that pharmaceutical companies make a KILLING off synthroid and knowing it obviously wasn't working, we "fired" my doctor and found a doctor who prescribes Armour, which is the natural pig thyroid that doctors no longer advocate, even though it has been used for thousands of years. If you aren't on armour , I would seriously find a doctor who prescribes it and make an appointment as soon as you can. The week I started taking it, I lost 5 pounds, and had energy! It was amazing! It's because instead if fake synthesized synthroid being a chemical, armour is a natural thyroid hormone itself and actually converts the specific levels that thyroid patients need (t4 into t3) which synthroid does NOT do! I would really recommend into researchig this and advocating YOUR own healthcare. Don't let the dr tell you how your body is. If he shad you are borderline, but your life and your body FEEL like you need medicine, he needs to put you on medicine. Their scAles and ranges they use are not even all equivalent. Different doctors have different ranges which they want to start giving you medicine. That's not how it works though. When I started taking armour it took a couple months to get levels evened out and the dosage right because the thyroid is SOOO finicky and everyone is DIFFERENT. The best advice I can give you is look into armour, and if your doctor doesn't do it, GET ANOTHER DOCTOR WHO WILL. I have learned fast that you have to advocate for yourself in this area based on how you FEEL and if your doctor is a good one he will work with you, not tell you what to do. Doctors still have so much unknown in this area and they are simply taught prescribe synthroid that's how you treat it, but everyone is different. My doctor told me protein and no carbs, no sugar, and that includes very little fruit. Lots of veggies and meat, but I have lost 30 lbs in the past few months just by having my thyroid work and eating that way. That was without exercise! Another tip, your body may be different but alpt of research has shown that thyroid patients seem to actually need MORE calories than 1200-1500 in order to lose weight and I have actually found lately that when I restrict my food, I can't lost weight, but if I'm eating right and eat when I am hungry, it seems to come off. I hope you do look into this , because it really has changed my life and the path my health could have been going down. It sucks pretty bad to gain 35 pounds in 2.5 weeks.

Very strong first post, ( :flowerforyou: ), but I can't figure out what it has to do with Advocare.
  • charityharvill
    charityharvill Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lbs does not necessarily mean lbs of fat I'm guessing
  • stacy87gallard
    Options
    The 24 Day Challenge is, essentially, the 10 Day Cleanse + Extra stuff. AdvoCare recommends you only do the full challenge every 6 months, and the cleanse every 3 months. So essentially you could do a 3-month rotation... Cleanse, 3 months later Challenge, 3 months later cleanse, and soforth. In the meantime, KEEP IT UP!! :D Keep eating clean, movin' that booty, and living a happy life. Don't throw away the success! I always recommend people continue Spark, and depending on your lifestyle I'd be happy to recommend other products that would help you stay on track.
    http://www.colonhealthmagazine.com/colon-products-review/advocare-cleanse.html