Working out with inflammation.

Options
Inflammation in my back and shoulders. Usually can take 1 Alleve but sometimes just can't move. I'm short with lots of extra weight so that definitely acts as a trigger. Some areas of my body don't get moved to avoid infuriating it. Anyone else with similar symptoms?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do some gentle movements like walking or chair exercises from YouTube if you can.
    Otherwise, focus primarily on your food. People lose weight mostly from watching their food intake.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have chronic pain due to inflammation and scar tissue. I've talked to my doctor about it and have gotten on a good pain management routine. Part of that is popping ibuprofen prior to exercise instead of after. You should talk to your doctor if it's inhibiting your movement.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    mojo501976 wrote: »
    Inflammation in my back and shoulders. Usually can take 1 Alleve but sometimes just can't move. I'm short with lots of extra weight so that definitely acts as a trigger. Some areas of my body don't get moved to avoid infuriating it. Anyone else with similar symptoms?

Is it chronic though, or is acute? I don't do a whole lot when I have a muscle spasm.
    I have chronic pain due to inflammation and scar tissue. I've talked to my doctor about it and have gotten on a good pain management routine. Part of that is popping ibuprofen prior to exercise instead of after. You should talk to your doctor if it's inhibiting your movement.

I'm curious - what was your injury, and how does inflammation fit in?

I ask because I no longer believe this talk about chronic inflammation for most things people say are related to inflammation. What my physio's told me is that inflammation is an acute response to a trauma or injury. And that that kind of inflammatory response is actually really rare, and related to blunt trauma/force, not repetitive strain or overuse issues, which is what most people have. Which my physio said is mostly down to scarring + nerve damage or sensitivity (with pain being "trained in" to that and nearby areas).

And if that's the case, does it make sense to take NSAIDS all the time? They're not great for ligaments and tendons long-term, is what I've read. and if you have those kinds of problems, why risk making it worse? plus there are the other systemic issues (stroke/heart attack risk) I know NSAIDS usually work better than aspirin for pain, but I'm asking myself whether it's worth it.

Saying all that, I think it's great you've found a way to manage pain and stay active.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

I ask because I no longer believe this talk about chronic inflammation for most things people say are related to inflammation. .

I've had multiple abdominal surgeries due to female issues that have caused massive adhesions in my abdominal cavity. I typically have an inflammatory response post exercise or at the end of a more active than usual day where the pain (which is typically localized) radiates and causes the surrounding area to be hot and tender to the touch. There's also some nerve damage going on as well. Ibuprofen is only one of the meds I take to control it and is on an as needed basis. I alternate ibuprofen with aspirin for daytime use as needed. My case is on the extreme end, and it's taken a long time to get it to a manageable level.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Muscular or joint?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

I ask because I no longer believe this talk about chronic inflammation for most things people say are related to inflammation. .

I've had multiple abdominal surgeries due to female issues that have caused massive adhesions in my abdominal cavity. I typically have an inflammatory response post exercise or at the end of a more active than usual day where the pain (which is typically localized) radiates and causes the surrounding area to be hot and tender to the touch. There's also some nerve damage going on as well. Ibuprofen is only one of the meds I take to control it and is on an as needed basis. I alternate ibuprofen with aspirin for daytime use as needed. My case is on the extreme end, and it's taken a long time to get it to a manageable level.

Oh wow, I'm so sorry for my assumptions. I should have said, thoughts above are about non-rheumatic joint issues - I thought it was maybe a joint or tendon thing. So sorry you have to deal with this.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    youtube chair workouts?
    they can be challenging or easy. depending on each workout
  • Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have Ankylosing Spondylitis which is an inflammatory disease that attacks the joints, back, neck and sometimes organs (in my case lungs). I find walking helps immensely (on days I don't walk I typically hurt more). Though having right medications have also allowed me to be more active lately.

Wish you well on finding what works for you!
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    Options

Oh wow, I'm so sorry for my assumptions. I should have said, thoughts above are about non-rheumatic joint issues - I thought it was maybe a joint or tendon thing. So sorry you have to deal with this.

it's OK I didn't take offence :D I'm happy that I've been able to find a combo of meds that work.

• cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    mojo501976 wrote: »
    Maybe concentrate on stretches rather than exercise per se. I had chronic inflammation to the point where I could barely move. A physio told me my hamstrings in particular were the tightest she had seen (and my other muscles weren't too good either). I'm now regularly attending a stretch class (I didn't know such a thing existed) and it's the best. You can find stretch therapy on youtube http://www.kitlaughlin.com.