Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Your protein is excessive. Even as a 170 lb guy, I don't eat those kind of numbers. Most women I know are like 80-120g of protein max. And depending on how much you are working, calories might be a bit low. Also, I would generally suggest increase fats. Not only will they improve satiety, but they help regulate hormones as well as improve vitamin absorption.

What are your stats (height, weight), and what is your workout routine? Also, what are your goals?

i am currently 9.9 BF 130 lbs and 5'9"
    I workout 6-7 times a week and im just trying to maintain and stay lean. I been realizing that i bloat very easily the second I over eat and take vacation my body does not respond well at all.
    I would question the 9.9% bf because females get into essential fats at 14%. But it really doesnt matter.

For a young, fairly active person, i would also question why you eat so little. Based on your stats you should be around maintenance. If you want to improve definition you might want to look into doing a recomp... essentially, eating at maintenance and hoping for gain a bit of muscle while losing fat.

When do you "bloat"? Is it when you eat carbs? Because if so, you do realize that carbs add water weight in the form of glycogen?

And what do you do for exercise?

I really don't know why I bloat so badly even after a clean meal on vacation.. I notice if I go above 100g of carbs I bloat.. That pregnant rock hard bloat lol... I just wanna stay lean and gain muscle which is what I have been doing as my dunk test showed July 1. I strength train and interval train... My trainer who is a paleo freak adviced me with my current macros and I trust him especially since I'm new to this flexible dieting but getting advice from others is good too. Thank you everyone..

you are not going to gain muscle eating 1400 calories a day ..

if you want to do a recomp you would slowly add muscle and lose some fat, however that would require that you eat at maintenance level.

I would read the below sticky's on recomp and bulking ….

Recomposition:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33125652#Comment_33125652

Bulking:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hi @alexgolan610 - I follow a LCHF healthy eating plan. My macros are currently 10% carb; 70% fat and 20% protein. This works for me. I usually have around 1000-1200 cals per day on this. I also do a lot of running, which decreases my calories too - 3k run x 3times per week. Maybe reducing your carbs and increasing your fat will help you. Remeber, Carbs turn into sugar so are not good for you!!

where do people come up with this stuff..

carbs are sugar…

geez ...
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Hi @alexgolan610 - I follow a LCHF healthy eating plan. My macros are currently 10% carb; 70% fat and 20% protein. This works for me. I usually have around 1000-1200 cals per day on this. I also do a lot of running, which decreases my calories too - 3k run x 3times per week. Maybe reducing your carbs and increasing your fat will help you. Remeber, Carbs turn into sugar so are not good for you!!

where do people come up with this stuff..

carbs are sugar…

geez ...

it's dem scienterferc studeez and dem docterz
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    gracegza wrote: »
    Your protein is excessive. Even as a 170 lb guy, I don't eat those kind of numbers. Most women I know are like 80-120g of protein max. And depending on how much you are working, calories might be a bit low. Also, I would generally suggest increase fats. Not only will they improve satiety, but they help regulate hormones as well as improve vitamin absorption.

What are your stats (height, weight), and what is your workout routine? Also, what are your goals?

Would you be able to help me I'm trying to bring my BF percent down. I'm 5'2 weight 143lbs at 32%BF. I do HIIT classes 4 days a week burning up to 450 calories in 45 mins in the class we do weight training too but I also do 2 days of just weight training I've been stuck there coming down from 175lbs in 2years. I just started the flex dieting yesterday cause I had been low carb then I would binge when my monthly came!! Lol

Do me a favor and pm this to me so we dont hijack the thread.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

i am currently 9.9 BF 130 lbs and 5'9"
    I workout 6-7 times a week and im just trying to maintain and stay lean. I been realizing that i bloat very easily the second I over eat and take vacation my body does not respond well at all.
    I would question the 9.9% bf because females get into essential fats at 14%. But it really doesnt matter.

For a young, fairly active person, i would also question why you eat so little. Based on your stats you should be around maintenance. If you want to improve definition you might want to look into doing a recomp... essentially, eating at maintenance and hoping for gain a bit of muscle while losing fat.

When do you "bloat"? Is it when you eat carbs? Because if so, you do realize that carbs add water weight in the form of glycogen?

And what do you do for exercise?

I really don't know why I bloat so badly even after a clean meal on vacation.. I notice if I go above 100g of carbs I bloat.. That pregnant rock hard bloat lol... I just wanna stay lean and gain muscle which is what I have been doing as my dunk test showed July 1. I strength train and interval train... My trainer who is a paleo freak adviced me with my current macros and I trust him especially since I'm new to this flexible dieting but getting advice from others is good too. Thank you everyone..

you are not going to gain muscle eating 1400 calories a day ..

if you want to do a recomp you would slowly add muscle and lose some fat, however that would require that you eat at maintenance level.

I would read the below sticky's on recomp and bulking ….

Recomposition:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33125652#Comment_33125652

Bulking:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners

These are great threads to start with.

If your trainer put you on a 1400 calorie diet while wanting to gain muscle, i would fire him. Honestly, you are 2 lbs from being underweight. So eating at maintenance is probably the best option unless you have the emotional capacity to do a bulk and cut.

Also, the macros are cool if you like low carb or keto but it might be hard to gain muscle while on it. But then again i would have to research bulks and very low carb diets. Hopefully someone with more experience can provide more insight.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Also, regarding the carbs, the reason you probably feel bloated is because when you increase carbs, you are storing additional glycogen/water. So at first you might look puff or have that bloated feeling until you rebaseline your body. If you came off of low carb, then we would probably suggest slowly adding in carbs to reduce that feeling.

Btw, do you have any medical issues? Just want to make sure that is accounted for in our advice.
  • kwoolfwpfd
    kwoolfwpfd Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    hi everyone! I started macros not too long ago. Saw good results first month.. 60/20/20 on 1400 calories. I went on a few trips and really think it screwed me up. I've been back on track for a few days but still feel off. Any suggestions on my macros? Maybe lower my protein and higher my carbs I really am such a beginner at this and I just want my lean look back.. I'm currently on 180g of protein 80-90 carbs and 35 fats

Thanks

I think the best advice I've ever gotten was to stop worrying about macros and following them to the T. Eat a meal which consists of a meat, carb, fruit, and veggie 3-5 times a day. Eat when your hungry and drink plenty of water. Eat healthy and proper proportions. Hope this helps, but like I said not following a strict macro or calorie diet has helped me tremendously.
  • alexgolan610
    alexgolan610 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Also, regarding the carbs, the reason you probably feel bloated is because when you increase carbs, you are storing additional glycogen/water. So at first you might look puff or have that bloated feeling until you rebaseline your body. If you came off of low carb, then we would probably suggest slowly adding in carbs to reduce that feeling.

Btw, do you have any medical issues? Just want to make sure that is accounted for in our advice.

I was thinking the same just now.. It's probably cuz when my macros are on point for a few days if I spill over on other days my body takes it badly. But for a very short time. The second in back on track I feel goOf

No health issues

Do u suggest playing with calories or just higher carbs and lowering protein on 1400?
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    im cutting as well and eating 150 protein, 60 carbs, 30 fat
  • psuLemon
    Options

I was thinking the same just now.. It's probably cuz when my macros are on point for a few days if I spill over on other days my body takes it badly. But for a very short time. The second in back on track I feel goOf

No health issues

Do u suggest playing with calories or just higher carbs and lowering protein on 1400?

Well you will probably inherently play with both, but you really need to decide which course of action that you take. Do you want to recomp (long process but less emotionally draining) where you eat at maintenance for awhile, focus on doing a compound lifting program and have goals that ultimately are performance focused, or do you want to bulk/cut where you will intentionally gain weight (hoping 50% or more is muscle) and follow it by a cut.

Either path, I would still work on slowly adding calories (probably add 100-200 a week until you probably hit around 2000 calories or stop losing weight). I would rebalance macros to decrease the amount of protein and increase fats (so you at least have a source of glucose). I would probably suggest, at least in the interim, 15% carbs (this will maintain your carbs per gram once you hit 2000 calories), 20% protein and 65% fats. At some point, if you want to do a balanced macro approach, just reduce fats by 5% and increase carbs 5%.