Sugar issue

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I agree with your hypothesis. It still grates on me though. I don't need the real reason for something dumbed down for me, etc. I do get it though. Most doctors are very busy. Let's assume they understand all there is to know about weight loss (which many don't)...and they say "you want to lose weight, cut carbs" because to explain about the whole thing takes more time and if I cut carbs I will probably eat less and therefore lose weight is just simpler....I don't need you to trick me to lose weight. And if you are too busy too explain it to me, send me a referral to a dietitian and let them do the work for you.

I also think that is why programs like Weight Watchers work. It helps people find their way to eat more nutritionally sound food and more low calorie high volume food if they use the point system.

Yes. I understand why many doctors approach it like that -- many people are very bad at calorie counting and one easier way to do it is to say cut down on carbs or fat or whatever (which you are probably going to do if you cut calories anyway). I think this is also why many doctors seem to recommend 1200 (going by what's reported here) or to respond to "I'm not losing on 1200" with "cut calories more." They simply don't trust their patients to count or to understand nuances.

As someone who wants to understand everything and gets annoyed when given a dumbed down version--it feels patronizing and rude, especially since I don't actually think I'm dumber than my doctor, just less educated in certain areas--that would bother me. And happily for me my doctor treats me with what I consider respect and does not assume I won't get it. (She asks me sensible questions and discusses things.) But I do understand why a doctor frustrated with seeing someone try to lose and fail again and again would fall back on such things.

Oh, well, I digress.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I agree with your hypothesis. It still grates on me though. I don't need the real reason for something dumbed down for me, etc. I do get it though. Most doctors are very busy. Let's assume they understand all there is to know about weight loss (which many don't)...and they say "you want to lose weight, cut carbs" because to explain about the whole thing takes more time and if I cut carbs I will probably eat less and therefore lose weight is just simpler....I don't need you to trick me to lose weight. And if you are too busy too explain it to me, send me a referral to a dietitian and let them do the work for you.

I also think that is why programs like Weight Watchers work. It helps people find their way to eat more nutritionally sound food and more low calorie high volume food if they use the point system.

Yes. I understand why many doctors approach it like that -- many people are very bad at calorie counting and one easier way to do it is to say cut down on carbs or fat or whatever (which you are probably going to do if you cut calories anyway). I think this is also why many doctors seem to recommend 1200 (going by what's reported here) or to respond to "I'm not losing on 1200" with "cut calories more." They simply don't trust their patients to count or to understand nuances.

As someone who wants to understand everything and gets annoyed when given a dumbed down version--it feels patronizing and rude, especially since I don't actually think I'm dumber than my doctor, just less educated in certain areas--that would bother me. And happily for me my doctor treats me with what I consider respect and does not assume I won't get it. (She asks me sensible questions and discusses things.) But I do understand why a doctor frustrated with seeing someone try to lose and fail again and again would fall back on such things.

Oh, well, I digress.

Actually, I think a part of this is that most people want a clear, simple solution, preferably something fast. That's the way our society has evolved to, so when a doctor says to just eat right and watch your calories, some people can't believe that's all there is to it. It's good that your doctor is willing to discuss things with you and go deeper. I had to do some hunting before finding one that would talk with me instead of just the 'here, have this pill and you'll be fine' or the 'there's nothing wrong, it's in your head, but i'll give you something if it'll make you feel better' mentality.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Low or lower-sugar snacks:

nuts
    seeds (sunflower, flax, etc.)
    cheese
    hummus with veggies (red peppers, pod peas, jicama, carrots, etc.)
    Greek yogurt dip (with homemade Ranch mix) and veggies
    hard-boiled egg
    edamame, soynuts
    avocado
    ceviche
    cottage cheese
    ricotta
    kale chips
    protein powder drink/shake/smoothie
    turkey roll up
    tuna (one of my favorites is a salad with tuna, garbanzos and salsa-type veggies)
    green salad + protein
    coleslaw + protein

Another thing that you could try is half a serving of fruit with some protein and fat...more satisfying, less sugar. For example, 1/2 an apple and a piece of cheese, 1/2 a pear with some almond butter, etc.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    So, I've a hypothesis.

I think the reason past weight loss advice focused on "low this, low that" is because it was a simplified way to reduce kcal. A candy bar isn't bad for you, but it can easily pop you over maintenance. This plus that you don't get much else but calories in one gave us the "bad sugar" mantra (though when I was young fat was evil!)

I think we can put these ideas to rest in his age because we have tools like MFP which you can access anywhere to keep track of your calories.

I've found that I tend towards more nutritionally dense foods now that I'm counting. Sure that candy bar is good, but I don't have 250kcal to spare. I learned that fast when I tried to eat one for dinner!

When I'm in maintenance It'll be easier to work these things in, but I'm still gonna be hungry and miserable if my whole day is cake.

So count away, my guess is that you have defaulted to a balanced diet as it pertains to your body. Good luck!

Also, cheese. High in protein, comes in stick form, low in sugar.

Well, I don't think it's the Drs or ppl being lazy, though it could be part, I don't think it was dumbing down either. Kcal counting pre-Internet was near impossible if you didn't eat everything pre packaged. It was difficult. Tools like MFP make it much easier, but the tech is still new (and occasionally buggy!), and not everyone might have access. I think as more early adopters are seen succeeding, more ppl will realize this is the way to go.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Any ideas for non-sugary snacks?

I'm meeting my 1,200 a day goal just fine. Lots of nice, healthy snacks of fruit are pushing me over the sugar limit every day, though. I'm veggie, so meat is out, and I don't think I could face yogurt without some sweetness.

I know the answer is probably 'don't snack', but do you know how much I can eat when I get to a meal ravenous?!

Fruit can be used to sweeten yogurt, and if you are eating fruit anyway, just add some yogurt. Greek yogurt can be a good protein source if you are vegetarian. Dry roasted soybeans or edamame are high in fiber and protein and very low in sugar. Chickpeas are also good dry roasted. Nuts are high calorie but they are a pretty filling snack. Boiled eggs. Hummus or pb and veggie sticks.
  • isthatpoisontoo
    isthatpoisontoo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think you're onto something, @crazyjerseygirl. It's good advice, in it's own way, but counting calories is so much easier than it was that it seems a bit outdated.

I've had to deploy a spare mixing bowl to hold all the extra fruit I bought today, following your advice. Thanks for the suggestions, too. I've made myself a small bag of popcorn to take to work tomorrow for variety. I'm doing 1,200 calories in name, but buying extra with exercise most days, so I'm actually eating a bit more. Mostly in fruit!
  • moondrake
    moondrake Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love your answers, folks. I have always struggled with this sugar thing on these diet trackers. I don't consume HFCS (just don't like the stuff), but I eat quite a lot of fruit, mostly fresh, and sweet vegetables such as corn and beets. I usually use Stevia when sweetening things, but some recipes need cane sugar, it interacts with food in a very different way than Stevia. But 95% of my sugar is from fresh fruit, yogurt, milk, etc. Its good to hear that there's not much reason to worry about it as long as it is primarily natural food-derived sugars.