Intermittent Fasting

Options
2»

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    jklicka wrote: »
    I got up this morning and decided not to eat today. I've been working out like crazy (for me, at least), and on most days, end up with a calorie deficit. Sometimes the scale gives me good news, other times, like the last few days, it goes up by a half pound or even a pound a day. How can it take me days to lose a half pound, but overnight I can gain a half pound? I know - weight fluctuates daily, and since I've been working out, I'm also building muscle, which weighs more, but at some point, the pounds have to come off, right? I'm super frustrated and can't reach even a short-term, realistic goal, so for today, every time I'm hungry, I'll be chugging a big glass of water. Maybe it will jump start something.

GIF-Britney-Spears-confused-doubtful-furrowed-brow-huh-say-what-skeptical-unsure-WTF-GIF.gif

Yeah, you don't have the right mind frame to be doing any sort of fasting.

Your deficit determines how much you lose, and there are variables that come into play like glycogen stores, sodium, and if you're female your impending menstrual cycle. Also, if you are indeed in a deficit you are likely not building any appreciable muscle mass, and even then that requires lifting heavy things.

Here's some pointers @ndj1979 gives.

1. Enter stats into MFP and set for x amount of weight loss.
    2. Eat to the number that MFP gives you.
    3. get a food scale and weigh all solid foods, and as many liquids as possible.
    4. log everything
    5. make sure that you are using correct MFP database entries
    6. realize that there are no bad foods and that while the majority of foods should come from nutrient dense sources, there is nothing wrong with having pizza, ice cream, cookies, etc, as long as ones micro and macro needs are met.
    7. macro setting are typically .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight; fill in rest with carbs.
    8. find a form of exercise that you like and do it < not necessary for weight loss, but is for overall health and body comp.

And this post is a good starting place...
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Aussie_in_PA
    Aussie_in_PA Posts: 100 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I do it, helps me with diet compliance, quite a few studies around GH and other hormone improvements around fat loss and muscle retention. It's nice to train heavy on just BCAA's in the morning and eat a monster lunch.

Also check out Eat-Stop-Eat, by Brad Pilon... he is the research guy who provides a lot of good material to review. (Alan Aragon as well) and the usual LeanGains suspects (Berkhan)

also 31minutes AMA PDF on reddit is a good read for application
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    During my first long plateau, after a couple months without losses, I got frustrated and took to the forums.

Someone suggested a version of IF. I tried it for 6 weeks and had the same binges that others have metioned at first. I'd literally eat 9K-10K calories some days, though I would log everything I ate. By the end of the 6 weeks, I was down to only eating around 5K-6K calories when I was finally allowed to eat. It didn't work to end my plateau. I didn't gain any weight with the high calorie level (because I was in a plateau, which means no matter what or how much I do or do not eat, I don't gain or lose), nor did I lose any because of the change in diet plan. After 6 weeks, I went back to a normal daily deficit and then had a "whoosh" to end the plateau a couple months later (I'm not sure what triggered the whoosh).

The only remarkable thing that I noticed was that rather than fluctuating up and down within a few lbs. every time I weighed myself (yes, fluctuations still happen in a plateau, but permanent losses do not), they would fluctuate large amounts. There was once that I even gained 9 lbs. in a few hours time before losing it again over the next day.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    During my first long plateau, after a couple months without losses, I got frustrated and took to the forums.

Someone suggested a version of IF. I tried it for 6 weeks and had the same binges that others have metioned at first. I'd literally eat 9K-10K calories some days, though I would log everything I ate. By the end of the 6 weeks, I was down to only eating around 5K-6K calories when I was finally allowed to eat. It didn't work to end my plateau. I didn't gain any weight with the high calorie level (because I was in a plateau, which means no matter what or how much I do or do not eat, I don't gain or lose), nor did I lose any because of the change in diet plan. After 6 weeks, I went back to a normal daily deficit and then had a "whoosh" to end the plateau a couple months later (I'm not sure what triggered the whoosh).

The only remarkable thing that I noticed was that rather than fluctuating up and down within a few lbs. every time I weighed myself (yes, fluctuations still happen in a plateau, but permanent losses do not), they would fluctuate large amounts. There was once that I even gained 9 lbs. in a few hours time before losing it again over the next day.

The bolded statement makes no sense at all. If you are eating more calories than your body needs to maintain you will gain. If you eat less than your body needs to maintain you will lose. End of story. A plateau is not some magical place where physics do not exist.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

The bolded statement makes no sense at all. If you are eating more calories than your body needs to maintain you will gain. If you eat less than your body needs to maintain you will lose. End of story. A plateau is not some magical place where physics do not exist.

I was sharing my experience. You can believe it or not, but that doesn't change what happened to me. There are probably people who never have and never will experience a plateau. I'm not a member of that club.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

I was sharing my experience. You can believe it or not, but that doesn't change what happened to me. There are probably people who never have and never will experience a plateau. I'm not a member of that club.
    If you neither gain nor lose weight eating 9K-10K calories, the only plateau that might make that happen are the Plateaus of Leng.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

If you neither gain nor lose weight eating 9K-10K calories, the only plateau that might make that happen are the Plateaus of Leng.

I didn't lose or gain when I was eating at a small daily deficit for months prior to the IF. I didn't lose or gain during ht IF, eating 9K-10K calories some days (pretty close to zero calories other days), and at a net surplus calorie consumption for 6 weeks. Afterwards, I went back to a small daily deficit for months. I didn't gain or lose until the "whoosh" (where I lost 7 lbs. in a few days), and I'm not sure what triggered the whoosh because I had not changed anything for more than 2 months since quitting the IF plan.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it didn't happen. Not everything is as simple as CICO = immediate gain or loss.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Also, there are scholarly journal articles that explain what happens in a plateau. Not only do plateaus exist, but scientists have even figured out what happens in a plateau and published their research to the rest of the scientific community.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    edited July 2015
    Options

Also, there are scholarly journal articles that explain what happens in a plateau. Not only do plateaus exist, but scientists have even figured out what happens in a plateau and published their research to the rest of the scientific community.

LOL. I'm a non-believer. Look at kids in Africa. I'm sure they aren't starving because...plateaus.

1. Plateaus do not affect everybody.
    2. Plateaus do not last as long as food shortages in some areas of Africa.

Your point fails to recognize these. Again, believe or do not believe... it doesn't change my experience either way. It doesn't change the science either way.

ETA: I'm going to stop at this point because this thread has become an argument about whether I could have possibly had a plateau / whoosh rather than about intermitent fasting. I've made my point that I've tried it during a plateau without success. I'm not going to contribute to any additional deviation from the topic.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    alanmonks wrote: »
    Is anyone doing this?
    Yes.
    Here is a group that is somewhat active:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
    I eat my first meal of the day in the late afternoon and have something else in the evening (18:6).
    There are other versions of IF.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    alanmonks wrote: »
    Is anyone doing this?

We are legion.

I'm a 18:6er myself.
  • Lifeonmars2015
    Lifeonmars2015 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    im over in the UK doing a 16:8 daily fast and following the Kinobody program (Warrior shredding program)
  • Aussie_in_PA
    Aussie_in_PA Posts: 100 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    They don't exist.

;-)

south-rim-15-Ronnie-Macdonald-Flickr.jpg?itok=suqICvaE