Paleo diet question

Options
hi everyone,
i was woundering if any one can help, i just found out 2 weeks ago that i was gluten intorarent
and although i cut most (99.9999999%) out i am getting half board with the limited food choices i have, i am in a small town and the nearest things that are gluten free are about 400km away about a 4 hour drive,
my cousin suggested going the paleo diet, but i havent got a clue to what goes into it and what i must look for, i still got about 40kilo to lose (80lb) and it feels like i getting more and more confused, dont know what to do or what to follow
help please

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    well paleo (depending on which one you follow) has you cutting out more than just food with Gluten.

You really don't have limited food options...you just can't have gluten in large quantities so no wheat.

you can cook with coconut flower, gluten free flour (my brother is too so this is how I know)

lots of ways to cook veggies with different spices and oils, lots of proteins with spices and sauces, fruits etc.

dairy, eggs etc.

Start looking online or pintrest.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    If you're struggling with options right now, Paleo may not be the way to go. It's possible to eat a variety of foods in Paleo, but if gluten-free is your intended goal, I would start with that.

The Celiac Foundation has a nice list of foods, including grains, that are naturally gluten free. http://celiac.org/live-gluten-free/glutenfreediet/food-options/
  • earndien
    earndien Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    thanks guys you helped alot
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I think the easiest way to deal with being gluten free somewhere with few speciality options is to just eat more things that are naturally free of gluten and readily available. I'm Celiac so I eat a lot of meat, veggies, fruit, rice, beans, nuts, white and sweet potatoes, corn/corn tortillas. These things can be found even in the most rural of grocery stores! Hope this helps! :)

As for Paleo that involves cutting all grains and legumes so you'd be a lot more limited than you are now.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I think the easiest way to deal with being gluten free somewhere with few speciality options is to just eat more things that are naturally free of gluten and readily available. I'm Celiac so I eat a lot of meat, veggies, fruit, rice, beans, nuts, white and sweet potatoes, corn/corn tortillas. These things can be found even in the most rural of grocery stores! Hope this helps! :)

As for Paleo that involves cutting all grains and legumes so you'd be a lot more limited than you are now.

definitely this.
    Also if you are gluten intolerant, learn to check a lot of labels, because gluten is an ingredient in many foods you would never think of, such as soups and broths, grated cheeses, sauces, and many others. There is a good app for smart phones called ipiit that scans bar codes and tells you if a food is safe for you to eat based on ingredients you can't eat.
    Another Celiac here. :smile: