Astronomy Geeks: We have reached Pluto!

Options
Luke_I_am_your_spotter
Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
edited July 2015 in Chit-Chat
I'm a bit of an astronomy geek and today is an exciting day in space exploration. This morning, NASA's New Horizon Spacecraft finally flew by Pluto after a 10 year journey. It took this picture, the most detailed picture yet we have of the dwarf planet. Turns out Pluto has a heart (measures 1,000 miles across) How cool is that?1? Anyway just wanted to share for anyone interested!

14sos_pluto-articleLarge.jpg

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    That's really cool! I can't wait to show the kids.
  • grkfire
    grkfire Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Can't wait to see what further pix it sends out.
  • huynhkt760
    huynhkt760 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How does everyone know that you actully did that just with a perfect picture? This is not even an exercise.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I followed it on Twitter this morning. It was so cool. I even saw the video of when they passed Pluto. Very exciting :)
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I believe this pic was taken 7800 miles from the surface. The spacecraft cant collect data and send info out simultaneously so we are going to have to wait a bit for more pictures and data. I think it will be finished collecting most of its data by tomorrow and then it will take a while to receive it all.

Prior to this mission, this was the best picture ever taken of Pluto. It was taken by Hubble:

plutoh_wide-fd2a345604156dc94ab67863d1eddd84c069cdaf-s700-c85.jpg

That picture is nothing more than a blur. We have learned so much in the last couple weeks as New Horizons was approaching Pluto.

We are currently learning a LOT! Scientists now know that Pluto is 1,473 miles in diameter. Before this, they thought it was smaller.

This is a timeline of how Pluto looked as New Horizons approached.

NH_LORRI_OP4_mid-June_v3_PLUTO.001.jpg

• PewterSky
    PewterSky Posts: 9,224 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of an astronomy geek and today is an exciting day in space exploration. This morning, NASA's New Horizon Spacecraft finally flew by Pluto after a 10 year journey. It took this picture, the most detailed picture yet we have of the dwarf planet. Turns out Pluto has a heart (measures 1,000 miles across) How cool is that?1? Anyway just wanted to share for anyone interested!

14sos_pluto-articleLarge.jpg
    Looks beautiful! I have been so caught up in my work haven't been up to date with any news lately. Thanks for sharing! :)

• Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Options
    huynhkt760 wrote: »
    How does everyone know that you actully did that just with a perfect picture? This is not even an exercise.

I don't know what you are trying to say, but I didn't take this picture. NASA did.
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Options
    fannyfrost wrote: »
    I followed it on Twitter this morning. It was so cool. I even saw the video of when they passed Pluto. Very exciting :)

That tweet was awesome! :)
  • asianfashionista86
    asianfashionista86 Posts: 5,039 Member
    Options
    But it's no longer a planet r.i.p
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Options

it will always be my #9
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    So here's the NASA post:

Gorgeous Pluto! The dwarf planet has sent a love note back to Earth via our New Horizons spacecraft, which has traveled more than 9 years and 3+ billion miles. This is the last and most detailed image of Pluto sent to Earth before the moment of closest approach, which was at 7:49 a.m. EDT Tuesday - about 7,750 miles above the surface -- roughly the same distance from New York to Mumbai, India - making it the first-ever space mission to explore a world so far from Earth. This stunning image of the dwarf planet was captured from New Horizons at about 4 p.m. EDT on July 13, about 16 hours before the moment of closest approach. The spacecraft was 476,000 miles (766,000 kilometers) from the surface. Images from closest approach are expected to be released on Wednesday, July 15. Image Credit: NASA #nasa #pluto #plutoflyby #newhorizons#solarsystem #nasabeyond #science

My question to you guys, can you help me understand the two sets of miles/distance given (one says 7,750 miles above the surface, then later says 476,000 miles from the surface); what????
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Options
    So here's the NASA post:

Gorgeous Pluto! The dwarf planet has sent a love note back to Earth via our New Horizons spacecraft, which has traveled more than 9 years and 3+ billion miles. This is the last and most detailed image of Pluto sent to Earth before the moment of closest approach, which was at 7:49 a.m. EDT Tuesday - about 7,750 miles above the surface -- roughly the same distance from New York to Mumbai, India - making it the first-ever space mission to explore a world so far from Earth. This stunning image of the dwarf planet was captured from New Horizons at about 4 p.m. EDT on July 13, about 16 hours before the moment of closest approach. The spacecraft was 476,000 miles (766,000 kilometers) from the surface. Images from closest approach are expected to be released on Wednesday, July 15. Image Credit: NASA #nasa #pluto #plutoflyby #newhorizons#solarsystem #nasabeyond #science

My question to you guys, can you help me understand the two sets of miles/distance given (one says 7,750 miles above the surface, then later says 476,000 miles from the surface); what????

It was 7,750 miles at its closest distance. The 476,000 miles was 16 hours hour before the 7,750 point.
  • asianfashionista86
    asianfashionista86 Posts: 5,039 Member
    Options

it will always be my #9

Mvemjsunp no longer :(
  • CarlydogsMom
    Options
    So here's the NASA post:

It was 7,750 miles at its closest distance. The 476,000 miles was 16 hours hour before the 7,750 point.

Yes, but it says "This is the last and most detailed image of Pluto....(meaning that incredible image posted here) before the moment of closest approach...7,750 miles..." And then later says "This stunning image was captured 16 hours before closest approach...476,000 miles..." Both referring to the same image, right? I'm conFOOSED....
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Options
    no. The way the spacecraft is designed it can not receive data/take pics and send at the same time or it will malfunction and have to reset. (It did a reset last week when it tried to do that.) So we still haven't received the closest, most detailed images yet. Some have been taken and some havent-- but we are waiting for them. Make sense?
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    *some childish joke about reaching Uranus*
  • lmd177
    lmd177 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    That is amazing!
  • CarlydogsMom
    Options
    no. The way the spacecraft is designed it can not receive data/take pics and send at the same time or it will malfunction and have to reset. (It did a reset last week when it tried to do that.) So we still haven't received the closest, most detailed images yet. Some have been taken and some havent-- but we are waiting for them. Make sense?

OK. Thank you......whew.
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Options
    And most importantly, the aliens tried to send a message of love by carving a giant heart right on the front of it.

this is correct. a sign from the universe we should all love one another.