Why do you run?

Options

Replies

• silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I run because when I was younger, I was told I couldn't. I run because I can. I run because I lvoe that feeling of absolute peace and amazement at what I can do.

... Also it keeps me from flipping out on people! :wink:
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    To become better at running :)
  • Marcel182
    Marcel182 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a couple of years now. I could never make it a social experience, running with friends or in groups just wouldn't work for me. It's the ultimate 'me-time'. I like prepping for a run : putting on my running clothes and shoes, preparing a custom 'Run of the day' playlist for my iPod and then off I go. The music keeps me going, pushes me harder when I start to tire, gives me a steady rhythm to move to, and lifts my spirits.

I haven't always been fond of running, mind you. Back in school, PE was a nightmare for me. I was scrawny, suffering from asthma and extremely unfit. I'd run for 5 minutes and I'd be out of breath with painful side stitches. But the teachers made me run anyway, so I hated it. After years of being unfit, I decided things had to change. I started running. It was awful at first, the shoes I had weren't right, and I barely managed a mile. But this time it was my decision. So I went again. And again. I bought better shoes and started listening to music during my runs. Runner's high, Flow... those are things I never would have believed I'd experience one day. But soon, they actually started happening.

Now I'm training for my first half-marathon later this year. I know running isn't for everybody, but it's definitely my jam.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I started exercising in general to aid in my weight loss and to improve my cardiovascular fitness. I chose walking because it was something I could do and still breathe. I didn't need special equipment. I didn't need anyone to show me how. I didn't need anyone to do it with me (unlike most sports). About 6 months in… I signed up for my first 5k because I was kinda "starstruck" by the person who was organizing it. And the 13 year old girl "groupie" in me went into flail mode and I "just had to meet him!" (I promise I conducted myself with more dignity and class than that!) I walked the whole thing, but it was after that event that I decided I wanted to be a runner. I loved the atmosphere and the feeling of being outside and alive and participating instead of just watching from the sidelines.

So now… why do I run? I feel a little like Forrest Gump when everyone was asking him why he was running. "Are you running for world peace? Are you running for the rain forest?" And his response was "I just felt like running!" I was doing a 10k just this past Saturday with my niece and she said she runs for her son. And she asked me why I do it. And that was my response… "I just felt like running."

So, now I've done a few 5k's, a 10k, and I'm training for my first half marathon in October.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It's accessible, challenging, builds my endurance and it's nice to get outside. Plus it really burns those calories!
  • Allison1385
    Allison1385 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    All great! Thank you! I'm loving it more and more ♡
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have dogs. We must run!
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I run because I really like to drink beer and wine... and of course it relaxes me, it makes me feel energized, helps me sleep better at night, and I can always improve so it never gets boring.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of stress from my job so I run to burn off energy. Weight loss is a great side effect, too.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I have no consistent answer. It started just as a way to increase the intensity of my prior exercise, that was just walking up to 6 miles. Then it became a curiosity to see if I could run further, even up to a half marathon. Then somewhere along the way as distances kept growing it just became something I liked doing but have trouble explaining why. It is particularly hard to explain right now due to the amount of time I invest weekly in my running. But I do enjoy it very much. Even if I am sore afterwards I am very pleased with myself.

So, I have no idea why. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I realized I was becoming a peptide fragment. It was at that moment, that I decided to break the chain.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i run because i love ice cream, beer, donuts, and other delicious foods in large quantities. i also run because it keeps me sane. and, i also run because i love the solitary nature of it.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I run because like several other people said, it makes my mind stop frantically thinking about every thing all at once. Plus, I like the endorphins. I've had some injuries lately so I'm limited on how much running I can do and where. I'm not doing great on paved surfaces yet (which I actually like running on), but that first run on the treadmill after 12 weeks of no running at all....even though it was the treadmill I had the biggest *kitten* eating grin on my face and people at the gym were looking at me like I was completely crazy.

I too am a beer drinker. I think most of us can probably relate to this comic. It explains most of how I feel about running.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running
  • Allison1385
    Allison1385 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I use to hate running but I enjoy a 2-3 mile run a few times a week. I still enjoy walking, swimming, and lifting weights, but a good run pushing myself helps me to stay in shape. There is a nice 1 mile trail by the river near my house and I go there 3-5 times a week and get about 3-6 miles, depending on the day.
  • PumpkinRunning
    PumpkinRunning Posts: 35 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    In October of 2014, I watched my brother run his 4 (or 5th?) marathon. While waiting for him at one of the mile markers, my cousin and sister-in-law had a conversation about how my brother had asked each of them to train for a year (or two, in my SIL's case) and run the marathon with him next time. They were both laughing/joking about saying no to him. I realized that he hadn't asked ME to run with him, and really, why would he? At the time I weighed around 280lbs; I had been working out with a trainer for a few months, but it was only weight training, and I had only lost about 10-15lbs at that time because I hadn't made any changes to my eating.

Now, I wasn't about to volunteer to run a marathon with him, but I was thinking maybe he would agree to run a 5K with me in time for my 29th birthday in May. I asked him later that night, and he agreed. I waited until January (after losing another 15-20lbs) before even attempting to run: my trainer had me go 30 seconds on the treadmill at 4mph, and I thought I was going to die -- she still likes to remind me of this :smile:

I downloaded the C25K app, and after a few stops and starts, I began to really follow it in Feb/March. I was very skeptical of how quickly they expected you to progress in the running sections; I would always warn my trainer that I might not be able to make it, but then, funny enough, we would always finish it. As race day loomed closer, I was really worried that the C25K wasn't enough for me to be ready; my pace is so slow that I had only really run 2.25-2.5 miles at a time with the app. Also, I scoped out the course and realized it was quite hilly; nothing too steep, but it was pretty much rolling hills the entire course! I told my trainer that my goal was to be able to run at least half of the 5K without stopping. She just smiled.

On May 17th, with my trainer/friend by my side, we crossed the finish line at 47 minutes; and no, we didn't take any walking breaks (I really do just run that slowly...about a 15min/mile pace). My brother wasn't able to run with us that day, but he did meet me at the finish line to celebrate. Honestly, the 5K is one of my biggest accomplishments to date; it's one of the only times I've ever set a goal that far in advance and stuck with it (having my running partner/trainer/friend/therapist, Kim, made all the difference).

My brother warned me when I first started running that it becomes addictive. I told him no way... Now I'm training for my first 10K on Halloween, so I guess he was right ;)
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Marcel182 wrote: »
    I've been running for a couple of years now. I could never make it a social experience, running with friends or in groups just wouldn't work for me. It's the ultimate 'me-time'. I like prepping for a run : putting on my running clothes and shoes, preparing a custom 'Run of the day' playlist for my iPod and then off I go. The music keeps me going, pushes me harder when I start to tire, gives me a steady rhythm to move to, and lifts my spirits.

^^^^^ This is so me...
    Plus I like to drink beer!!!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    LOVE the turtle stomping through peanut butter quote! lol. I wanted to do mud/obstacle runs, I wanted more endurance for sparring, and more calories for more food. When I first started, I couldn't run more than a couple minutes without my shins hurting. I got fitted for shoes, did a bit of C25k, Zombies!Run (still do this sometimes), and just kept trying. Last weekend, I managed 5+ miles with hills without walking once and enjoyed it! That was like 60% more than my previous best.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I think I peeked in earlier and as @WhatMeRunning said, reasons change...
    now I think I'm running because I said I couldn't
    and I just ran 25 min this morning and last week I ran 35 min without stopping.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    That was beautiful! :love:

I never thought to use a straw with Nutella. Now that I know this secret though, it is sure to happen on my next Nutella rampage.