new to food scale question about weights and calories...

Options
Do I count the calories of food before I cook it or after? I have been doing it before I cook...

Replies

• lisajahn3
    lisajahn3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Most foods I tend to do after I cook them because they can change a lot. I think consistency is key. What are your goals?
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Before. I was weighing chicken breasts after I baked them for the longest time, then when I found out that you need to do it before, I started seeing better weight loss results.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Before. Cooking removes water weight, and you have no way of knowing if your cooking method removed the same amount of water as listing in the database.

If you're using oil or butter in your cooking method, weigh that separately and then add it to the calorie total.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The nutrition information on the packaging is generally for the raw weight (unless the label specifies otherwise). Weighing it before cooking is generally more accurate.

But, if you need or want to weigh your foods after cooking that should be okay. Just be absolutely sure that you're choosing an accurate entry in the database that matches your style of cooking (ie, don't choose a grilled entry if you boiled it, etc.)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's a personal choice. When I can, I like to weigh things after they've been cooked. I like to log what I eat. Recipes often make this impossible, so I'll use the raw weights.

Some people swear by weighing everything when it is raw. It's really up to you.

Pasta - weigh it before you cook it. Al dente will have different calories than soggy when it's cooked and weighed, but the difference is water weight.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Before whenever possible.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    *shrugs* I'm going to buck the trend. Yes, it's arguably better to weigh foods before you cook them. I don't bother. My success is sufficient to my purposes. I would say consistency is equally as important. Just pick a method and stick with it.

Weight loss isn't an exact science; failing a "best practice" isn't going to skew your results for anybody other than yourself, and that will probably work itself out over time.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input! You are great! I'll keep doing what I am doing then. Have an awesome day. :smiley:
  • amr32r
    amr32r Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I love you lol i had the same question