Shoulder pain from running?

Options
sudmom
sudmom Posts: 202 Member
Ok weird question... I have been running a lot. Nearly every day and I am getting pain in my left shoulder. I cannot figure out what I am doing to cause this-It is on the outside of my shoulder right above my tricep. I am also getting a twitching in the same area. Has anyone else had this problem?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't have that problem myself. Are you hunching up when you run or keeping your upper body tense? You may simply need to make sure that you're keeping your upper body loose.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Tension. As you run occasionally shrug your shoulders and occasionally lift your arm over your head for a moment. Try to relax.
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I thought maybe it was that too. I have tried shrugging my shoulders, relaxing, etc. But it doesn't seem to help. It is only on the left side which is equally weird..lol
  • synapse74
    synapse74 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Before you run, try warming the joint up by doing arm circles. If the problem persists, best to check out an Athletic Therapist in your area.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    In addition to the arm circles, try this stretch for 30+ seconds a few times a day, and right before running too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bQH4fQwMSo
    (Have your elbow up at eye level)

And when you run, check that your arms are by your side, not in front you.

Does it worsen as your run progresses, or does it hurt the same early on too?