Dizziness

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Mandi98U wrote: »
    I do eat around 1100 a day and yes i eat a lot of snacky foods but that because I snack all day minus dinner that I consider a meal. It makes me feel like I'm eating a lot and I would have already talked to my doctor but I don't have health insurance and they always say one thing and keep scheduling appointments to just check on things and that's really expensive

I lost weight on 1800 a day at 5'8

Eat more
  • WhiteRaven
    WhiteRaven Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I had dizziness for a while as well. Eating well and exercising. Doc said add a bit more salt of all things. I went with having cucumbers and some tomatoes sprinkled with a little salt.

I don't cook with much salt or add much to anything, most food I eat is low in salt. This is not intentional I don't scan labels for the sodium, just works out that way. Not sure of your situation. Seemed to help me in the end.
  • Mandi98U
    Mandi98U Posts: 115 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Is prepping food a problem for you? The directions for cooking lentils are on the package. You do have to cook them, but they're pretty easy. But no, they're not a snack. Do you live with your parents still or are you on your own?
    I live with my parents and my mom works where I do and they both tell me I eat a lot and no I don't mind prepping food I just have no way to warm it up at work.
    I've entered your age and height into a TDEE calculator. I don't know how much you weigh, so I entered your stated goal weight. According to the calculator, if you were completely inactive, you could still eat 1450 calories a day and lose weight at a healthy rate.

You eat 1,100 (on a good day). I really don't think you have anything to worry about by adding a serving of almonds or a tablespoon of peanut butter into your diet.

Aside from nuts, you can also get protein and good fats from eggs, some dairy items and cheeses, and some oils. IMO - you should cut out some of your snacks and fill your diet with more food that's going to give you the nutrition you need.

Oh, and if jerky's the only meat you can eat during the day, then that's fine. You might want to eat a little bit more of it though - or eat a good serving of it for lunch. Jerky comes in different flavors too, so there's always mixing it up (turkey jerky fan).

I don't like peanut butter and I do eat light cheese sticks a lot oh and I get the smart pack beef jerky that comes in different flavor sits got like 20 grams of protein for 1200 calories oh and I don't know what tdee is but MfP set 1200 for me
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It looks like, most of the time, you are not getting nearly enough protein.
    In the short term, adding a little bit of electrolyte drink can also help. I like to pre-freeze a water bottle 1/3 full of ice, then add 1/3 filtered water and 1/3 low-cal Gatorade.

I've been trying to get more protein it's just hard because the calories in nuts seem so not be worth it and I usually only get meat at dinner or if I get a beef jerky pack. That's why I've been eating protein bars and I can't think of much else that has protein. Oh and with the Gatorade does it still have the thick ness of Gatorade if u drink it like that because Gatorade kind of leaves a lot of flem in my throat ( it's hard to describe)

I've entered your age and height into a TDEE calculator. I don't know how much you weigh, so I entered your stated goal weight. According to the calculator, if you were completely inactive, you could still eat 1450 calories a day and lose weight at a healthy rate.

You eat 1,100 (on a good day). I really don't think you have anything to worry about by adding a serving of almonds or a tablespoon of peanut butter into your diet.

Aside from nuts, you can also get protein and good fats from eggs, some dairy items and cheeses, and some oils. IMO - you should cut out some of your snacks and fill your diet with more food that's going to give you the nutrition you need.

Oh, and if jerky's the only meat you can eat during the day, then that's fine. You might want to eat a little bit more of it though - or eat a good serving of it for lunch. Jerky comes in different flavors too, so there's always mixing it up (turkey jerky fan).

I would have to agree with this one. While I'm not a fan of "eat more" to lose weight, at your height you can certainly eat a little more and still lose weight. Protein is your best bet and finding lean protein would help keep your calories in check.

We are all different for sure, but if I can lose weight at 5 foot tall on 1300 if I'm extremely accurate with counting/measuring than most likely anyone taller than me can.

• Mandi98U
    edited July 2015
    Options
    WhiteRaven wrote: »
    I had dizziness for a while as well. Eating well and exercising. Doc said add a bit more salt of all things. I went with having cucumbers and some tomatoes sprinkled with a little salt.

I don't cook with much salt or add much to anything, most food I eat is low in salt. This is not intentional I don't scan labels for the sodium, just works out that way. Not sure of your situation. Seemed to help me in the end.
    I get quite a bit of salt from my beef jerky but that's really interesting..
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Is prepping food a problem for you? The directions for cooking lentils are on the package. You do have to cook them, but they're pretty easy. But no, they're not a snack. Do you live with your parents still or are you on your own?
    I live with my parents and my mom works where I do and they both tell me I eat a lot and no I don't mind prepping food I just have no way to warm it up at work.

I don't like peanut butter and I do eat light cheese sticks a lot oh and I get the smart pack beef jerky that comes in different flavor sits got like 20 grams of protein for 1200 calories oh and I don't know what tdee is but MfP set 1200 for me

Are you trying to lose 2 pounds a week?

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    MFP probably set you to 1200 because you put your goal at losing 2 lbs. a week, which is a very aggressive goal. I don't know what your current weight is or how close you are to your goal, but usually people who need to lose 75 lbs. or more set their loss that high. Also, even with 1200, you're supposed to eat your exercise calories back. I'm 56, 5'1.5", and 1200 is around what I need. You could still lose eating 200 calories more a day.
  • Mandi98U
    Options

Are you trying to lose 2 pounds a week?

Yup
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I just looked at your ticker. It looks like you're closing in on goal. Change your target to 1 pound a week loss.

Two pounds was fine when you started because you were 90 pounds overweight.

Now? Notsomuch.
  • Mandi98U
    Options
    My plan was to get to my "goal weight" and then drop my target of weight loss and lose a few more pounds so I can slowly make my way back up to maintence calories
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You're not eating the right things and you're definitely not eating enough. You're eating too many empty calories. Eat more protein, vegetables, and fruit.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You're under eating! You have days not even reaching 900 calories. I would get help with your eating disorder.
    Don't you have to be underweight to have an eating disorder ... I'm overweight
    You can have an eating disorder at any weight. The explicit diagnosis of anorexia nervosa requires the person also be underweight, but anorexia is a specific eating disorder that includes dysmorphia about one's appearance.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    My plan was to get to my "goal weight" and then drop my target of weight loss and lose a few more pounds so I can slowly make my way back up to maintence calories

It seems like your body may be trying to tell you that your plan isn't working very well for it. There are reasons that many people recommend reducing your rate of loss as you get closer to goal. You're welcome to ignore those reasons, but I hate to see posters blow off good advice when they've asked for advice.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

So you want to go slowly into maintenance, but rush to get there (and arriving dizzy)? K...

Your maintenance won't likely be much more calorie-wise than what you have now if you keep damaging your body like this. Please seek some help about this.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

It seems like your body may be trying to tell you that your plan isn't working very well for it. There are reasons that many people recommend reducing your rate of loss as you get closer to goal. You're welcome to ignore those reasons, but I hate to see posters blow off good advice when they've asked for advice.

^This. It's time to maybe rethink your plan. Aggressive weight loss can lead to bad results. Your body is already sending up a warning signal.

It might be best to listen to it.

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    PS while it's likely your dizziness means you need to simply eat just a little more (and of course healthy would be better) I won't assume you have an eating disorder. Sometimes it's just a matter of learning the right amount of food. How you feel (like the dizziness) going to be your best indicator, not what any of us says.
  • Mandi98U
    Options
    Thanks for all the help I'll see what I can do do for more protein during the day and of course eating a little more nutrient dense foods
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? If this is happening when you're outside and you're spending a lot of time outside and it's hot, I would suggest that you're suffering from dehydration.

Dehydration is very rare in cases where people aren't losing a lot of water through sweat, but being hot actually depresses your thirst, and you can think you're fine but not be. (This happens in winter sports a lot, too, actually!) If your pee's mostly clear or a very light yellow, you're good. If it's darker, you're having problems.

You can also suffer from heat exhaustion without being dehyrated. Above 140lbs, I'm really susceptible to it, myself.

NO, your calorie-counts aren't too low for your height RIGHT NOW, but you should pay pretty close attention to your macros AND micros as you get into the low calorie diet zone for women (1000-1200 calories). It's harder to get the minimums with a "random" diet at that calorie count, but there's nothing wrong with it.

And your plan to get to your "goal" and then slow your loss is perfectly fine, but you should find out what your lean mass is an have a deficit of NO MORE THAN 27 calories per day per pound of fat that you have. This is because fat can only mobilize at a certain rate. At 5'7", 142lbs might be too low a fat mass for you not to be burning more lean mass, which is what you TOTALLY don't want!!!! To be safe, I'd start decreasing my deficit by 30 calories for every pound I lost below 145lbs. Then at 140, you could jump down to 750 cal deficit, and at 135, if you still want to lose, to 500...or just ease into maintenance.

My "goal," too, is my "ease into maintenance" number. I've hit 135lbs now, and at 5'6", I don't have enough fat mass to support a 1000-calorie deficit. LOL. So I've cut it to 945 max deficit now and will continue to drop it as I get closer to goal to ensure that I really am losing as much fat and as little muscle as possible.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    wtf OP SEEK HELP
  • AnnaBellQ14
    AnnaBellQ14 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight since about January with the ups and downs as usual. I have my goal weight set to 155 ( I'm 5'7) and then once I hit that I want to lose a few more pounds but plan to do that with losing less weight per week so I can slowly make my way to maintence. As it is the summer I am a lot more active because I have a physically summer demanding job but I don't want to change my activity level because I am not as active on my days off. However lately I've been getting dizzy a lot like today is my day off and I was out walking my dog before my softball double header (we walk a mile a day) and I got sooo dizzy I had to sit down on the side of the road and relax mind you we don't walk fast at all it's a leisure pace. Any ideas on why I've been so dizzy lately and how I can change that. Oh and any tips on how I can account for the extra calories I'm burning working.

I'm 5' 7" as well. I eat roughly around 2100 calories a day on average. My goal weight is 158. I have been losing around 3/4 pounds a week, but my rate of loss is set at 1/2. I think that's because of my activity level. I try to eat most of my exercise calories back. Maybe you could try eating your exercise calories back. You could definitely be eating more, even if it's a couple hundred calories.
This discussion has been closed.