lose fat but gain muscle

Options
Wanting to lose body fat but not lose muscle...

Any ideas on what I can do..?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Strength training is a MUST to retain/build muscle.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    It should be as simple as strength training and increase your protein. See a personal trainer to get set up on a good weights program based on your levels if you are new to it, and tweak your diet to increase your protein
  • jazminebriana
    jazminebriana Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much! (:
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OP your title and your post have conflicting agendas, I'm not sure what you want here?

I'll set it straight for you, because it seems you haven't got it down it.

You are not going to gain muscle while in a deficit. Chances are, you'll increase your strength to a certain extent.

Muscle building require a structured weight training program with a progressive overload (weights get increasingly heavier) and proper nutrition;
    • Caloric surplus of your TDEE
    • 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of body mass
    • 0.4-0.45g of fat per body mass
    • fill rest of calories with carbs

Beginner weight lifting programs are;
    • New Rules of Lifting For Women
    • Strong Curves
    • ICF 5x5
    • Stronglifts 5x5

Losing weight requires a caloric deficit. You should be lifting heavy to preserve as much muscle mass as possible, and follow the nutritional advice above (just eat in a deficit, not a surplus!)
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OP your title and your post have conflicting agendas, I'm not sure what you want here?

I'll set it straight for you, because it seems you haven't got it down it.

You are not going to gain muscle while in a deficit. Chances are, you'll increase your strength to a certain extent.

Muscle building require a structured weight training program with a progressive overload (weights get increasingly heavier) and proper nutrition;
    • Caloric surplus of your TDEE
    • 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of body mass
    • 0.4-0.45g of fat per body mass
    • fill rest of calories with carbs

Beginner weight lifting programs are;
    • New Rules of Lifting For Women
    • Strong Curves
    • ICF 5x5
    • Stronglifts 5x5

Losing weight requires a caloric deficit. You should be lifting heavy to preserve as much muscle mass as possible, and follow the nutritional advice above (just eat in a deficit, not a surplus!)

Good advice. to add to this, it's a good idea to lose the extra fat first and get down to the 20-22% BF range before going into a bulk. Doing so will make you more insulin sensitive and thus you'll synthesize protein more efficiently, making you more efficient at building muscle. Bulk to 25-27% at a rate of 0.5 pound per week, then cut down to 20-22% again.

There is also, however, the potential to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time if you're new to lifting. Newbie gains are real, and you can take advantage of them to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time (it will be a slower process than above). To do this, eat at your TDEE and follow what @IsaackGMOON said about nutrition.

Edit: sorry, had BF% for a male, I changed them to what they should be for a woman. The concept is the same though.