The BMI reality

Options
http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/diet-and-fitness/the-big-problem-with-bmi-different-bodies-with-the-same-measure-20150713-gib7yw.html

Everything I have always said about it (and a bit more because I'm not an expert, obvs!).

I keep track of my BMI because I like data! I don't put any massive store in it.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's a tool.
  • darlenelaurel
    darlenelaurel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It can be hard to swallow at times, and it's definitely flawed, but it is a good tool. If you look at it as helpful information it can definitely be useful!
    I still can't say I LIKE looking at it though, haha
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    It can be hard to swallow at times, and it's definitely flawed, but it is a good tool. If you look at it as helpful information it can definitely be useful!

You'll get there! Mine is 27 now. Not far to go but it is all relative
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    the article lost me at "muscle weighs more than fat".
  • Livgetfit
    Options

You'll get there! Mine is 27 now. Not far to go but it is all relative
  • Livgetfit
    Options

I didn't notice that! I think I am so used to reading that on here that the incorrect wording goes over my head and I just get what they mean.

You're totally right though. A journalist should know better
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It;s a tool with it's limits, especially for the overly muscular. But if you look at 100 people in most western societies with a high BMI... you might pick out a handful that are false positives.

Waist to height and waist to hip ratios probably do a better job of picking out abdominal fat, but also have their limits.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Livgetfit wrote: »

I didn't notice that! I think I am so used to reading that on here that the incorrect wording goes over my head and I just get what they mean.

You're totally right though. A journalist should know better

Haha...if it was the journalist I might have gotten past it, but they attributed the quote to a "Dr Ginni Mansberg". Someone who pays that much for an education should definitely know better. lol.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Maybe he's using common wording rather than saying "denser." When people say a concrete block weighs more than a styrofoam one, they don't mean that a pound of concrete weighs more than a pound of styrofoam.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    None of the men look good. LOL. THey would all fail the waist/hip ratio test!

And the same volume of muscle DOES weigh more than fat! Most people don't add that first bit, though. That's what they mean.