21 day fix.

Options
So I just started the 21 day fix but haven't bought the package. I was wondering if anyone that has done it can answer a question.
I am confused about portions and suggested serving size. Do I ignore suggested serving sizes to get my portions? For example tonight I had rotisserie chicken suggested serving is 4oz. I needed 5 more protein portions so decided to do 3 during dinner. This put me at 18 oz of chicken 4.5 servings. Would I only eat 3 suggested servings (12oz) and count each serving as 1 cup?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    save your money and just get a food scale and use MFP....
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    A food scale off of Amazon and Tupperware containers from the dollar store will save you a lot of money in the long run.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    you don't need to spend money on fancy containers and programs. just weigh your food on a scale and eat at a calorie deficit.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    sweetn3ss wrote: »
    So I just started the 21 day fix but haven't bought the package. I was wondering if anyone that has done it can answer a question.
    I am confused about portions and suggested serving size. Do I ignore suggested serving sizes to get my portions? For example tonight I had rotisserie chicken suggested serving is 4oz. I needed 5 more protein portions so decided to do 3 during dinner. This put me at 18 oz of chicken 4.5 servings. Would I only eat 3 suggested servings (12oz) and count each serving as 1 cup?

The serving sizes are just plastic bowls with lids (really expensive Tupperware IMO) ...... Someone posted the program on here already......way too many threads to find it (anyway)

1 Cup Green—Vegetables
    1 Cup Purple—Fruit
    ¾ Cup Red—Protein
    ½ Cup Yellow—Carbohydrates
    1/3 Cup Blue—Healthy Fats and Cheese
    2 Tbls Orange—Seeds and Oils

The 2 Tbl portion is the same size as a coffee scoop

This is basically a rip off of Weight Watcher's old "exchanges"....or Richard Simmons "Deal a Meal"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP here is my advice, it is free, and you don't have to PM me to get it...

1. Enter stats into MFP and set for x amount of weight loss.
    2. Eat to the number that MFP gives you.
    3. get a food scale and weigh all solid foods, and as many liquids as possible.
    4. log everything
    5. make sure that you are using correct MFP database entries
    6. realize that there are no bad foods and that while the majority of foods should come from nutrient dense sources, there is nothing wrong with having pizza, ice cream, cookies, etc, as long as ones micro and macro needs are met.
    7. macro setting are typically .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight; fill in rest with carbs.
    8. find a form of exercise that you like and do it < not necessary for weight loss, but is for overall health and body comp.

couple stickies I would recommend:

Recomposition:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33125652#Comment_33125652

Bulking:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners

sidesteels guide:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • extacymoon
    extacymoon Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I bought the program and tried it for awhile. I gave up on the containers and just do the exercises now. I stay within my calories for the day, 1353, and am doing just fine. I found that the 21 day fix was confusing and in some instances restrictive. I have had a lot more luck with the calories in versus calories out that everyone talks about. I try not to eat back my exercise calories either. I have lost about 15 pounds in the past two months since I have been sticking to the CICO. Like most people say on here you don't need the fancy stuff, just a food scale and log on MFP. Be honest with yourself and you can do it.
  • qb63
    qb63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Anyone else reminded of the old Richard Simmons food mover thing? :D
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That sounded really complicated, my head hurts :p My advice would be to just use MFP, plug in your data and follow the instructions. Aim to hit your calorie and protein goal every day. You don't need those containers or a special diet plan. You can eat what you like for weight loss as long as you don't exceed your calorie goal - but for health and satiety and making it easy for yourself, you should have a varied diet with fruit and vegetables, dairy and eggs, meat and fish, nuts and grains.
  • Allison1385
    Allison1385 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I did the 21 day fix last November. I liked it because it helped me understand portion control. You don't need the book if you have the containers. There are plenty of webites that will help you set up how many of each container you need to eat. The book explains this, but I found it all on the Web too.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I don't think that really works with MFP. MFP is a calorie counter, where 21 day fix is just volume measurements of foods. They don't work together.

As everyone else said, buy a food scale and use those containers for leftovers.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Can you fill every container with ice cream? If so, I am IN B)
  • activefatgirl
    activefatgirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    mpo only... I need help with portion control. Calories in vs. Calories out work great I will agree, however the 21 day fix has shown me how to eat clean foods in a proper portion. I eat why more food on this program then I ever did with Calories in vs. Calories out. Why.... because I'm eating less garbage and eating more clean foods.

I was on Weight Watchers and did great with the point system, but I was eating all take out food.... why.... because I could and still lose weight. With this program you really can't eat out all the time and I'm good with that.