How common is it at the beginning...

Options
To have trouble going? I have dieted all my life, but I feel really motivated and have lost 10 lbs in the past month. However, I previously had a bowel movement most mornings after coffee and now I am going twice a week. The last one was after 6 days and it was not pleasant. The things I am doing right include lots of fruit, walking, and water. However, I did cut most caffeine from my diet (with the exception of one 8 oz cup of coffee in the morning) and am certainly eating less. Is this normal? Will my body likely reset itself?

Replies

• kidcuba176
    kidcuba176 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    So funny I was just telling my doctor the same thing recently. And he said it was normal so I won't look to much more into it. Simple tho, eat less, less comes out the other end lol. And I'm sure the little you eat, is being very efficiently used by your body so less waste is excreted.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    are you getting enough fiber with the water? if not that could be one cause of being constipated.
  • auntannette1
    auntannette1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new motivation. Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but I would call a doctor instead of waiting 6 days. I drink coffee on a regular basis, 2 large mugs every morning before noon. And I know when I started eating less, I had less bowel movements.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Try magnesium citrate.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Try magnesium citrate.

I've had good luck with this ^^ I had the same problem when I cut my coffee intake.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    A cup of coffee with half & half helps keep me going, if you will. Try to make sure you're drinking enough liquids and getting plenty of fat and fiber. Dehydration tends to get the best of me when I'm busy and the coffee takes care of that most days!

~Lyssa
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Magnesium definitely helps.

I'd be in the hospital doubled over in pain if I didn't go for 6 days!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you're going six days without a BM, you should contact the doctor. It might be your new diet and it might be something else. There is just no way for us to know.

Before they fixed my thyroid,I had loads of issues with constipation and was always fighting it. It's horrible. Don't live like that.

Be safe. Be sure. Ask the doctor.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    If you're going six days without a BM, you should contact the doctor. It might be your new diet and it might be something else. There is just no way for us to know.

Before they fixed my thyroid,I had loads of issues with constipation and was always fighting it. It's horrible. Don't live like that.

Be safe. Be sure. Ask the doctor.

^^This!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    yes,if this is not your normal routine then I would see a dr.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I had some constipation issues with my new diet at first until I added Chia seeds. See your Doctor and if he/she recommends more fiber you can try them. I think MFP goal for fiber is too low. I am happier with closer to 30 grams than the 20 recommended.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Whats your fat intake like? Super low fats can lead to constipation as well
  • DinoChicken
    DinoChicken Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Depending on the diet you're following, I've found adding a teaspoon of coconut oil divided into my morning coffee keeps me regular while dieting.. Otherwise I can't "go".

Just the decrease in food volume alone will effect your bowels. As long as you're not feeling uncomfortable and the stool isn't hard when it actually comes out you should be OK.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm back in a deficit and I did notice this. But I also know my fat is low, my fiber is high, protein a bit too high. Macros outta whack=no pooping.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    If you're really freaked out about it, buy some sugar free gummy bears. that'll loosen things up.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    If you're really freaked out about it, buy some sugar free gummy bears. that'll loosen things up.

Yep yep.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options

I read the reviews on Amazon. OH MY.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It probably is normal if you change your diet like that. I believe previous threads about constipation have suggested consuming more fats, more water, more fiber and moving more.

I didn't change what I ate and drank just the amounts and everything stayed pretty normal for me.
  • billr9mm
    billr9mm Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    From what I have heard this is great advice!! Another bit of advice, should you go this route, is to stay close to home.