Why am I not losing? please help.

Options
CJsf1t
CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
I am 31 y/o female. I have been using mfp on and off since one year now but since April this year I am really doing it . I bought a food scale in may and have been using it all the time. When I started out this time I used tdee cut method and got a calorie goal of 1900 . I logged a that for about a few weeks and when I did not see any loss I cut it down to 1850. And then further down to 1750. But still was seeing any significant change. So I went back to mfp method. I put my activity level to sedantary and got 1620 cals as my limit which I am following currently. I exercise for 1 hr daily. 5x week. Half hour of weights and half hour cardio. I measure all my food on scale.when I use recipe builder I weigh all items separately and once it's done measure the entire dish and divide into 4 servings . My starting weight was 102.5 kg I went down to 99.5 kg 2 weeks ago but I got my Tom and weight went up to 101 kg and now after 2 weeks of Tom its till there! So effectively I have lost only 1.5 kg in 3 months!? My measurements are down by 1/2 an inch at all places. But why is my weight loss so slow? Please help

Replies

• peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
  • CJsf1t
    Options
    Thank you . the chart is very informative. But just one question, my calorie goal is already less then my bmr. Which is around 1700 cals(bmr). So is it OK if I cut it down by further by 10%?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal is not less than your BMR. I suspect that even though you think you are accurate with your calorie counting, you are eating more than you realize.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    1650 for a sedentary women is high on MFP. Most of the women on this board are at 1200 calories a day. If you're eating back calories burned, it's a good rule of thumb to never eat more than 1/2 of calories burned, as electronic devices, machines and MFP have a history of overestimating calories burned, and you could be overeating your workouts and could end up actually gaining weight.

Check your profile again, and be honest of really how active you are. If you only exercise occasionally--push the sedentary button and it will reduce your calorie intake.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    hearthwood wrote: »
    1650 for a sedentary women is high on MFP. Most of the women on this board are at 1200 calories a day. If you're eating back calories burned, it's a good rule of thumb to never eat more than 1/2 of calories burned, as electronic devices, machines and MFP have a history of overestimating calories burned, and you could be overeating your workouts and could end up actually gaining weight.

Check your profile again, and be honest of really how active you are. If you only exercise occasionally--push the sedentary button and it will reduce your calorie intake.

This isn't true. Many women eat 1700-2000 (more active women eat more). 1200 is low for a lot of women, even sedentary ones.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

This isn't true. Many women eat 1700-2000 (more active women eat more). 1200 is low for a lot of women, even sedentary ones.

I believe they meant most of us women who are dieting are using the 1200 calorie amount, since MFP sets that for most of us at 2lbs/week weightloss.
  • CJsf1t
    Options
    I put in sedantary and weight loss goal of .5 kg per week. I got 1620 as my cal budget
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »

I believe they meant most of us women who are dieting are using the 1200 calorie amount, since MFP sets that for most of us at 2lbs/week weightloss.

Although I also engaged in moderate exercise, I dieted at 1800-2200 and got to my goal, originally. Right now I'm effectively sedentary and losing with a net goal of 1650 (which I don't always meet).

I know MFP gives everyone 1200, just because it's the medically validated minimum. That's ridiculous, imo. Or yes it's everyone who chooses a 2-lb rate of loss, but not all people should or need to. In any case it's certainly not true that most women on MFP are eating 1200. (Or intending to lose 2 lbs a week.)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    CJsf1t wrote: »
    I put in sedantary and weight loss goal of .5 kg per week. I got 1620 as my cal budget

Are you sure you're accurate with weighing your food? (First question in that box :) )
  • sojerj
    sojerj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Msut be so frustrating when you are doing all the right things!Have you tried reducing your exercise for a week and see what happens.Maybe you could try cutting it back to a half hour daily and combine interval training into it.The harder we exercise the more calories we want so it can be counter productive as a weight loss tool but obviously so good for our overall health and fitness and so a necessity!Maybe try for a week or two and see what happens you can always increase it again later.They say weight loss is 2/3 diet so as far as food goes maybe its not the amount of calories but the type your eating so called low cal foods and health foods can be counter productive.I have been doing lots of reading on the adverse affects of sugar and quit a year ago and so called health foods can hinder health and weight loss.Try googling it lots of interesting info online.Are you getting enough protein?Maybe if still no weight loss it would not hurt to see doctor and see if any underlying health issues affecting it?Hope this helps in some way.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    sojerj wrote: »
    Msut be so frustrating when you are doing all the right things!Have you tried reducing your exercise for a week and see what happens.Maybe you could try cutting it back to a half hour daily and combine interval training into it.The harder we exercise the more calories we want so it can be counter productive as a weight loss tool but obviously so good for our overall health and fitness and so a necessity!Maybe try for a week or two and see what happens you can always increase it again later.They say weight loss is 2/3 diet so as far as food goes maybe its not the amount of calories but the type your eating so called low cal foods and health foods can be counter productive.I have been doing lots of reading on the adverse affects of sugar and quit a year ago and so called health foods can hinder health and weight loss.Try googling it lots of interesting info online.Are you getting enough protein?Maybe if still no weight loss it would not hurt to see doctor and see if any underlying health issues affecting it?Hope this helps in some way.

Huh?!? How is reducing exercise, thus reducing calorie out put, going to help? If they are not losing weight with their current calorie intake and calorie output, reducing the output would not cause weight loss but potentially weight gain since you are decreasing the deficit/creating a calorie surplus.

How is exercise counter productive to weight loss?

Weight loss is not 2/3 diet, it is 100% diet. You could exercise until you drop but if you are still eating too much, you will not lose weight.

And no, sugar does not have adverse effects on weight loss. Just because someone writes it online does not make it true. If you have no diagnosed medical condition, sugar really isn't the devil of weight loss. You quit ALL sugar? So you eat absolutely no fruits or veggies?

Calorie deficit is what is required to lose weight.
  • CJsf1t
    Options

Are you sure you're accurate with weighing your food? (First question in that box :) )
    I think I'm pretty accurate as I mentioned in my original post. Anyway I made my diary public so you can have a look if you want. I am so frustrated currently! I just want the scale to move!
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Ooookay, looking at your diary, I see a lot of 'cups', 'pieces', and 'spoons'. Weighing accurately means weighing everything. Pretty much all the things you don't accurately weigh are calorie dense so I am assuming you are eating more of it then you thing. Measure and log everything in grams for a while, eat at a deficit, and check back in two weeks. But seriously, no more cups, pieces, and spoons if you want to weight accurately :smile:

Edited to ask: all those logged full meals, are they home made...? If not, maybe you could try limited eating out some and replacing those meals with things you don't have to guesstimate the calories of? Just a thought.
  • CJsf1t
    Options
    Ooookay, looking at your diary, I see a lot of 'cups', 'pieces', and 'spoons'. Weighing accurately means weighing everything. Pretty much all the things you don't accurately weigh are calorie dense so I am assuming you are eating more of it then you thing. Measure and log everything in grams for a while, eat at a deficit, and check back in two weeks. But seriously, no more cups, pieces, and spoons if you want to weight accurately :smile:

Edited to ask: all those logged full meals, are they home made...? If not, maybe you could try limited eating out some and replacing those meals with things you don't have to guesstimate the calories of? Just a thought.
    OK thanks for taking a look at my dairy. Yes all the recipes are homemade and I weigh it before I put it in the recipe builder.
  • elphie754
    Options

Just because someone's diary says cups, spoons etc, doesn't mean they are not weighing. I weight EVERYTHING but will use the packaging deriving size as the measurement: ie peanut butter says 2tbs (32 grams). I weigh out 32 grams but use the "2tbs" choice for the calorie information in my diary.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options

OK thanks for taking a look at my dairy. Yes all the recipes are homemade and I weigh it before I put it in the recipe builder.

:+1: Then all good. I do that, too. Works brilliantly.
  • sojerj
    sojerj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Elphie I didnt say give up exercise just reduce it a little and see what happens.The harder we exercise the hungrier we get therefore we want to eat more food and if losing weight is 100% diet as you say this this shouldnt be an issue as we will want to eat less.It personally worked for me.I was exercising heaps and not losing weight and always felt hungry I cut it back a little with good results.No of course I eat fruit and veges but thought that would be obvious to most people so didnt clarify it.I do not have any processed sugars or food containing them or processed food in general.You say sugar doesnt have an adverse affect on weight loss but of course it does as most foods contaning it are calorie dense and unhealthy.And please dont belittle my intelligence with "because someone writes it online does not make it true",I thought we were all grown ups on here.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Elphie I didnt say give up exercise just reduce it a little and see what happens.The harder we exercise the hungrier we get therefore we want to eat more food and if losing weight is 100% diet as you say this this shouldnt be an issue as we will want to eat less.It personally worked for me.I was exercising heaps and not losing weight and always felt hungry I cut it back a little with good results.No of course I eat fruit and veges but thought that would be obvious to most people so didnt clarify it.I do not have any processed sugars or food containing them or processed food in general.You say sugar doesnt have an adverse affect on weight loss but of course it does as most foods contaning it are calorie dense and unhealthy.And please dont belittle my intelligence with "because someone writes it online does not make it true",I thought we were all grown ups on here.

Exercise is the "CO" of "CICO". Exercise burns calories, which in turn, helps you lose weight. I don't get why people say that exercise doesn't matter because it definitely does. Once you are on a regular exercise regimen, you will find that it actually reduces your hunger pangs. Most of the time when we're hungry, it's because we are actually bored. Drink lots of water, exercise, and the pounds will start to magically disappear after a couple of weeks.
  • elphie754
    Options

Wanting to eat more does not result in weight gain, it is the actual eating more that does. Reducing exercise would reduce the calorie output, thus creating a smaller deficit, possibly even a calorie surplus.

The following numbers are for demonstration purposes only:
    If your tdee is 2300 plus 150 for exercise- your output would be about 2450 calories. Say right now you are eating 1950 to create a 500 cal deficit to lose a lb a week. If you cut down on the exercise your total output would be 2300, and now you are only at a 350 cal deficit a day, leading to .7 lbs a week. If there is an error in how many calories you are eating and you are not losing, lowering the out put could potentially lead to a gain. If you think you are eating 1950, but are really eating 2450, and you cut back on exercise, resulting in 2300 calorie out put, that would put you in a 150calorie surplus per day leading to a gain of .3lbs per week. See why cutting down does not seem like the right answer?

Also- your body processes sugar the same way, fruit or added. And obvious or not, you claimed not to eat sugar. Again, body processes it the same way.

And no, sugar does not have an adverse effect of weight loss by itself. You even answered that by saying foods that contain added sugar tend to be high in calories. It is the calorie count that has an effect on weight, not the sugar its self.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Balderdash!