Spartan race super 7/11/15

spxebn38zfvo.jpg

Just wanted to try and start a thread here. I just did my first ever Spartan race at blue mountain! What a challenge especially since I didn't train I just dieted. I am doing a sprint in August and I recommend that if any of you want to truly challenge your mental strength and physical endurance than do a Spartan. Don't just trudge along either I mean go out there and push your body until it wants to quit and then push harder! I am so glad that I did it and finish as well as I did with a little better training and proper pre race diet I will do 100 x's better at my August race hope to see you therek96qkeu0xyyw.jpg
imqyuemhijam.jpg

Replies

• 13BANE13
    13BANE13 Posts: 65 Member
    I've create a OCR's support (Myrmidon) and info group if anyone is interested in joining I will list upcoming events and whatever gems of information I gather from veteran runners there to help those of us interested in taking our fitness to the next level. Myrmidon is the group name
  • 13BANE13
    Next Spartan is coming up quick. This Saturday morning for the DC sprint
  • 13BANE13
    Spartan sprint 8am tomorrow in DC can't wait a0w0ka2jz3re.jpg
  • 13BANE13
    1yxm3atuwuyh.jpg
    Vermont beast I'm coming for you
  • 13BANE13
    d30jadwfl1c1.jpg
    DC sprint and Blue Mountain Super
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    So @chuckieslats you headed to SC or VT for your Beast?!?! ;)

AROO!
  • esjones12
    Oh, I just saw your post above haha. Excpect VT to be 5x harder than the PA Super ;)

I'll be in VT earning my 3x trifecta for the year. :smiley:
  • 13BANE13
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Oh, I just saw your post above haha. Excpect VT to be 5x harder than the PA Super ;)

I'll be in VT earning my 3x trifecta for the year. :smiley:

Yes VT
  • kristinareisinger
    kristinareisinger Posts: 37 Member
    I did the Super at Blue Mt too! I have done twi Tough Mudders before but neither of them could prepare me for the punishing sufferfest of Soartan. Don't get me wrong, I loved it!
  • 13BANE13
    I did the Super at Blue Mt too! I have done twi Tough Mudders before but neither of them could prepare me for the punishing sufferfest of Soartan. Don't get me wrong, I loved it!

I hear the mudders are more fun I also hear Savage is a good one

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited August 2015
    I am doing Seattle Super on Oct 17. It won't get out of the 50s and there stands a 50% chance of rain, according to the last 10 years of almanac history.

Only problem with that is...I live in the desert. It will be at least 80°F every day. I may have to do some training in the mountains to condition.

After that, I will be going to Dallas Beast on Halloween.

Should be a fun, life changing sequence of events!
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member

So they are fun runs? :blush:
  • 13BANE13

So they are fun runs? :blush:

Spartans bring in some very serious competitors I hear the others are less serious but I honestly had a blast at the DC sprint I thought it was a lot of fun more so than a challenge. But my first race was also Blue mtn super

• esjones12
    There are certain Spartan Races that are very hard core due to the terrain. Blue Mountain is definitely one of them. VA and VT are the other big ones on the East Coast. There are some West Coast ones that will give you a run for your money too.

Tough Mudder tends to have more mental obstacles, the race in general is less competitive, but you will find TONS of Spartans out there running for a good time.

Savage Race has an elite wave that is VERY competitive. The courses are usually much flatter than Spartan Races is what I hear. I was supposed to try one out back in June but injured my back two days before and had to miss it :(

From what I've heard you will find friendly people at any OCR event you do. I've personally never witnessed bad sportsmanship on a course. I've done 10 Spartans, two TM's, a Battle Frog and a few lesser known local OCRs. There will always be exceptions and bad apples, but I recommend OCR to anyone willing to give it a shot! It is a blast!
  • 13BANE13
    There are certain Spartan Races that are very hard core due to the terrain. Blue Mountain is definitely one of them. VA and VT are the other big ones on the East Coast. There are some West Coast ones that will give you a run for your money too.

Tough Mudder tends to have more mental obstacles, the race in general is less competitive, but you will find TONS of Spartans out there running for a good time.

Savage Race has an elite wave that is VERY competitive. The courses are usually much flatter than Spartan Races is what I hear. I was supposed to try one out back in June but injured my back two days before and had to miss it :(

From what I've heard you will find friendly people at any OCR event you do. I've personally never witnessed bad sportsmanship on a course. I've done 10 Spartans, two TM's, a Battle Frog and a few lesser known local OCRs. There will always be exceptions and bad apples, but I recommend OCR to anyone willing to give it a shot! It is a blast!

**********WARNING********************************* THE OCR'S ARE ADDICTIVE*********
  • cheflaurawalke
    cheflaurawalke Posts: 42 Member
    I was at the DC sprint, next weekend I will do Wintergreen Super and i can't wait. It is going to be kick *kitten*. Last year 2000 people who started, didn't finish. This one is going to be a mental mind f*uck. Wintergreen is no joke.
  • esjones12
    edited August 2015
    I was at the DC sprint, next weekend I will do Wintergreen Super and i can't wait. It is going to be kick *kitten*. Last year 2000 people who started, didn't finish. This one is going to be a mental mind f*uck. Wintergreen is no joke.

It is all mental. One foot in front of the other. 9 times out of 10 your mind will break before your body. DC will look like a 5k compared to this. I was laughing to myself when people in DC were complaining that there were so many hills. Their friends had told them it was a flat race....it was a flat race for a Spartan ;) I'm expecting a 5-6hr completion time next Saturday. Definitely, definitely carry a hydration pack and fuel. And my rule for mountain races is to never, ever look up.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited August 2015
    Just awesome brother!

My neighbor did the trifecta last year. I'm slacking this year, but have two goals for next season - the trifecta and to finish a sprint with my wife, which will be her first OCR!
  • 13BANE13

It is all mental. One foot in front of the other. 9 times out of 10 your mind will break before your body. DC will look like a 5k compared to this. I was laughing to myself when people in DC were complaining that there were so many hills. Their friends had told them it was a flat race....it was a flat race for a Spartan ;) I'm expecting a 5-6hr completion time next Saturday. Definitely, definitely carry a hydration pack and fuel. And my rule for mountain races is to never, ever look up.

What was your time at DC and your goal time for Vermont if you don't mind me asking I'm curious of how long Vermont may take on average. I did notice that only 875 people finished last year I don't know how many signed up. I was 1240ish at DC and around 1400 at Blue Super I'll be happy just to finish Vermont under 10 hours from what I hear of it I seen 15:00 was last place last year
  • esjones12
    My PA Super time was 5:19, but I was literally just coming off an injury. I spent the entire two weeks leading up to the race on the couch. Back injuries = nothing you can do to train. I know I could have been faster if I didn't tank my cardio right before the race.

DC my time was 2:07....I was 857 overall (top 11%) and top 5% for females and my age group.

VA is supposed to be harder than PA, but I will be in better shape, a solid 10lbs lighter and not coming off an injury. So I'm shooting for 5ish hours and hoping under 6 for max time. But you really can't compare venues or even same venue year to year times....so I'll just give it everything I've got. I shoot for placing %'s now.

VT is a Beast for sure. My buddy did it last year in pretty good shape and it took him 7.5-8 hours. I personally would shoot for 8-9 hours (I think). I'm doing the NJ Super for time the week before VT. So I'm doing VT for fun with a group and am hoping we are not out there for more than 10 hours. They just have wicked elevation available to them in Killington. You literally have to deal with massive weather changes throughout the race and freezing cold water/swims. And most people are just not trained for or have been exposed to such a long requirement of mental and physical endurance. That is why a lot of people don't finish. That and hypothermia. And severe cramping. And starting too late and being too slow and getting pulled off the course (make sure you take a head lamp!). My buddy did the HH12HR with me and said I really didn't have anything to fear in VT. But I still do fear it. Even though my goal is really to just finish and survive it. It won't be easy. That's if I survive VA next weekend LOL....*sigh*