Over 2 hours of exercise, Internet says No.

Options
Hi there :)
I'm a 22 year old female, 143lbs, 5'6", my weight loss goal. No idea. But I do want a tight, toned body to feel awesome and confident about.. and according to the Internet I exercise too much.

I can't honestly say whether my routine has given me results, (from the two weeks I did well my husband says he saw a great change) because the past few months it has been more off than on due to sick toddler and accompanying my husband on business trips, etc.
But I'm hoping to get back on track next week.
The Internet tells me over 2 hours of exercise is terrible, and slows your progress dramatically, I'm no fitness expert, I'm human, I'm a housewife with lots of time and I feel great when I'm exercising.
7:30am I take a 30min 5km run.
8:10am I do Jillian Michaels Killer Buns & Thighs Circuit Training. 35mins
9:30am Strength training for 40-60 minutes, either lower or upper body.
After which I clean the house, do washing, and all my wifey chores.
At 3:00pm I do Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30, 30mins roundabout.. followed by..
3.40pm very brisk 5km walk :)
This is my everyday routine, 5 days a week, I switch up my strength training, I do different Jillian Michaels Levels and after the 30 days of both workouts I plan on doing another two videos.
But..
Apparently this is terrible and I have failed miserably, the gods of exercise look down on me and wave their arms about furiously.
I could add another 30 min circuit training on my day easily, and I would love it.
But reduce my exercise? Do I have to? :(
I honestly love this routine.
I love exercise, it makes me happy.
I eat when I'm hungry, around 1500-2000 calories a day, I'm a breastmilk donor so I eat well to ensure my milk is as nourishing as need be.
I'm not sure if I'm eating enough, but I never starve myself, I'm just not ever in the mood to shovel huge amounts of food in my mouth.

So...is over 2 hours bad?
Do you have experience of it stunting your progress?
Do you exercise like a maniac and see results?
And do you think my routine is okay? :)
Please be kind fitness enthusiasts.. I'm in no way a pro at this stuff.
Thank you x

Replies

• kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'm exhausted just reading this (I'll be honest, I gave up half way for a snooze :) )

I cant tell you whether its too much or not but I can tell you that I am almost twice your age and have seen great results workout out for an hour 4 or 5 days a week. I believe rest as a very important part of the process and you need that to bother recover and get to get stronger.

My advice is to do what works for you and to know that you'll need more time. Enjoy the process :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Depends what you're trying to achieve. I'm comfortable with a continuous run of up to three hours at the moment, or a continuous ride of 3-4 hours, but they have a specific purpose. Making up 2 hours of random stuff that doesn't appear to hang together to deliver a clear objective seems a bit pointless to me.

• tiffyland21
    tiffyland21 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to workout that much a day for couple of months in summer time ,the only thing happened is that I come to get kind of nightmare of having to exercise 2 hrs everyday for the rest of my life and it s really tiring. I know plenty of people who do cause they eat a lot and do it to stay skinny. It is up to you, how much you can handle. Anyway it doesnt do anything in particular except burn calories and might make you sore? And hungry too. Anyway im too lazy to do it for long term
  • KirstenAFerreira
    KirstenAFerreira Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm exhausted just reading this (I'll be honest, I gave up half way for a snooze :) )

I cant tell you whether its too much or not but I can tell you that I am almost twice your age and have seen great results workout out for an hour 4 or 5 days a week. I believe rest as a very important part of the process and you need that to bother recover and get to get stronger.

My advice is to do what works for you and to know that you'll need more time. Enjoy the process :)

Thank you!
    I'm sorry for tiring you out! :D bwahaha

Before my daughter started creche I used to do 1 hour a day, it sorted the damage pregnancy left behind very quickly!
    But now somehow I just ended up doing all this, and I really do enjoy it.
    Yes results. I love them. But I love doing exercise just as much!
    The fact that too much of a good thing is bad, is a bit of a bummer!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    doesn't sound like much food for 2 hours of exercise per day
  • KirstenAFerreira
    Options
    I used to workout that much a day for couple of months in summer time ,the only thing happened is that I come to get kind of nightmare of having to exercise 2 hrs everyday for the rest of my life and it s really tiring. I know plenty of people who do cause they eat a lot and do it to stay skinny. It is up to you, how much you can handle. Anyway it doesnt do anything in particular except burn calories and might make you sore? And hungry too. Anyway im too lazy to do it for long term

For me if I don't exercise, I eat a lot, strangely.
    I just love exercising, I do have some days when I don't feel for doing a certain workout and I don't do it, but the other days I enjoy it, puts me in a great mood too!
    I never have the issue of feeling sore everyday, and hunger not so much :) breakfast time and dinner times I'm hungry but not mass amounts.
    It is something I would want to do for the rest of my life, I grew up lazy and unmotivated, and an insane gamer, but when I first got out of my cosy cove and away from the glare of the pc screen and went for a jog, I was hooked :p
  • KirstenAFerreira
    Options

Depends what you're trying to achieve. I'm comfortable with a continuous run of up to three hours at the moment, or a continuous ride of 3-4 hours, but they have a specific purpose. Making up 2 hours of random stuff that doesn't appear to hang together to deliver a clear objective seems a bit pointless to me.

I hope to burn fat, and tone/tighten up, build some muscle etc, doing one single form of exercise bores me somewhat. So 30-40 mins jogging, 60 mins circuit training, 60 mins strength training and 40-50 mins brisk walking, I love it, I look forward to every day, but if it slows down by progress than obviously I must make changes
  • KirstenAFerreira
    Options

Sigh :( can't imagine myself eating 3000 calories worth of food I'll die!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    You may want to review the calories you burn, the calories you consume, and the amount of calories you need in order to accomplish 'burn fat, and tone/tighten up, build some muscle'. It seems if you consume 1500 to 2000 calories a day and workout close to 3 hours five days a week you'll struggle with these goals.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options

In this case, you could try cutting at least 30 minutes from your workouts each day. Workout for 90 minutes a day a see how that works for you.
  • KirstenAFerreira
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »

In this case, you could try cutting at least 30 minutes from your workouts each day. Workout for 90 minutes a day a see how that works for you.

Argh oh that sounds awful :(
    I'll give it a try..! :)
  • KirstenAFerreira
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    You may want to review the calories you burn, the calories you consume, and the amount of calories you need in order to accomplish 'burn fat, and tone/tighten up, build some muscle'. It seems if you consume 1500 to 2000 calories a day and workout close to 3 hours five days a week you'll struggle with these goals.

I burn approx 1000-1200 calories, not counting strength training.
    Apparently!
    Is there anything one can do to exercise as much as I do and attain said goals?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    If I was doing that much exercise I could probably maintain on 3500 calories. I would be exhausted doing what your doing and it wouldn't be sustainable long term...but thats just me
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    The short answer is no, it isn't bad so long as you give your body sufficient time to recover, tone back the intensity if needs be and eat adequately.

The reason that long bouts of cardio in particular (any session over 90 mins usually) is said to be bad according to the internet is that it is not optimal for maximising muscle growth or retention. This might be bad if your focus is body building or so on but if your goals are more general then I wouldn't worry.
  • KirstenAFerreira
    Options
    If I was doing that much exercise I could probably maintain on 3500 calories. I would be exhausted doing what your doing and it wouldn't be sustainable long term...but thats just me

Thank you!
    I really never get tired, I honestly feel awesome, the 2 straight weeks I got were awesome for me.
    I never really count the run in the morning and walk in afternoon as exercise to be honest, I go with my husband to drop my daughter off at creche, run home. And end of the day I walk to meet my husband to pick her up, I love walking.

Such a predicament! I should probably cut exercise then and slowly increase exercise and calorie intake, not sure!
  • KirstenAFerreira
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    The short answer is no, it isn't bad so long as you give your body sufficient time to recover, tone back the intensity if needs be and eat adequately.

The reason that long bouts of cardio in particular (any session over 90 mins usually) is said to be bad according to the internet is that it is not optimal for maximising muscle growth or retention. This might be bad if your focus is body building or so on but if your goals are more general then I wouldn't worry.

Are you sure?
    Basically I want to tighten up, some ab definition would be wonderful and all, you know that typical bikini body everyone longs for..
    But if I'm slowing the progress down, then I do need to make changes..
    But I love what I'm doing and couldn't possibly figure out which exercise to drop
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you could be a fitness instructor with all that energy and enthusiasm!

As for what you're doing now, I would say mixing up the impact would be ideal. One hour workout plus a leisurely one hour walk for example sounds pretty manageable. Just need to make sure your body/joints are recovering appropriately and you're not increasing your chances of injury. It almost seems the workouts are a hobby, which there could be worse ones...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

why?
  • KirstenAFerreira
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Sounds like you could be a fitness instructor with all that energy and enthusiasm!

As for what you're doing now, I would say mixing up the impact would be ideal. One hour workout plus a leisurely one hour walk for example sounds pretty manageable. Just need to make sure your body/joints are recovering appropriately and you're not increasing your chances of injury. It almost seems the workouts are a hobby, which there could be worse ones...

Haha! Thank you! :) Make all my clients exercise to death :/

Fortunately I never experience any pain, discomfort etc, I've experienced very slight muscle strain in my leg weeks ago, but took things slowly and that was the last of it :)
    Workouts are a huge hobby, I just hope it isn't bad. I enjoy it so much!
  • KirstenAFerreira
    Options

why?

Because 1500-2000 is me eating normally. But adding on an additional 1000 is somewhat hard to imagine as I'm forcing myself to eat more as is, I used to only eat dinner.. but since I got pregnant and with the breastfeeding I've had to eat normally and it's taken a long time to get okay with it