sprained ankle

Options
Hello. I recently sprained my ankle and have difficulty walking/running (which I do 60 mins a day for my cardio workout) and am wondering about other cardio exercises that offer the same workout, but require less footwork. It should heal in about a week or so. Don't want to sit around in the meantime. Any ideas? Thanks. :)

Replies

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Oh that's tough. I've sprained my ankles quite a few times (stretched out ligaments) and I always found it difficult to do something which didn't put strain on my ankle. Stationery bikes and rowing machines require you to flex your ankle but if the sprain is mild you can probably manage. Boxing and swimming are other options but you will still need to flex your ankle. You'll probably just have to experiment a bit. Maybe the elliptical?
  • Bigmitch41
    Bigmitch41 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I sprained my ankle last weekend but found I can still cycle ok, give it a go it could work for you.
  • Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My first go-to with injury is my spin bike, but if that aggravates it...swimming. No impact and still a good all over work-out. There will be an element of flexing involved but a lower amount of pressure.

You could also use the time to experiment with small weights? There are a lot of arm and ab exercises you can do that don't require standing - some even just laying on the floor? If you can't do cardio, this would be a good option. Strength training will also help your running in the long run