Motivational Buddy's Needed

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some motivational support from individuals with similar goals. I want to make myself available as well with recipes, fitness tracking and ideas, all around ally support, etc.

A bit about me: I'm 24 and have gained 30lbs in the past 5 years and find myself at a size 14 from what used to be a size 6. I recently got engaged and want to start a healthier lifestyle for myself and fiance. I often find it difficult during the weekends to stay on track, especially since we like to party and eat/drink. I am here to end my food addiction as well as sweat out my 5 years of weight gain!

Replies

• barickmn
    barickmn Posts: 5 Member
    Hi Kelly, you have several things going for you. First, you are young and I found losing weight when I was young to be much easier. Second, you are using an effective system for tracking food, exercise, weight, measurements, etc. I learned the hard way that when I didn't weigh myself regularly, sometimes for a year, I would be horribly surprised at how much weight I had gained thinking I was maintaining my weight. Thus, I have found that tracking weight consistantly to be very important. My doctor strongly recommended that I start tracking my food intake and I like to track exercise activity because I feel like I have accomplished something really good when I exercise.

I read a magazine article a few years ago, I think in Fitness magazine, that explained that women in relationships with men often gain weight. I found that to be true in my life, so it's something we have to learn to work with and counteract. You might enjoy a really excellent book called, Mindless Eating. It is written by a psychology professor who has studied eating habits and he has a lot to say about peer pressure when eating, and he suggests some strategies, such as pacing yourself off the slowest eater at the table.
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Congrats on the start of your journey! You can add me as a friend if you like!
  • gabbybrown7583
    gabbybrown7583 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm just starting out too! I'm really going to work hard to eat clean and stay on track. If you would like to add feel free!
  • kellybnnr
    kellybnnr Posts: 3 Member
    barickmn wrote: »
    Hi Kelly, you have several things going for you. First, you are young and I found losing weight when I was young to be much easier. Second, you are using an effective system for tracking food, exercise, weight, measurements, etc. I learned the hard way that when I didn't weigh myself regularly, sometimes for a year, I would be horribly surprised at how much weight I had gained thinking I was maintaining my weight. Thus, I have found that tracking weight consistantly to be very important. My doctor strongly recommended that I start tracking my food intake and I like to track exercise activity because I feel like I have accomplished something really good when I exercise.

I read a magazine article a few years ago, I think in Fitness magazine, that explained that women in relationships with men often gain weight. I found that to be true in my life, so it's something we have to learn to work with and counteract. You might enjoy a really excellent book called, Mindless Eating. It is written by a psychology professor who has studied eating habits and he has a lot to say about peer pressure when eating, and he suggests some strategies, such as pacing yourself off the slowest eater at the table.

Thank you for the feedback and findings you've uncovered during your journey. I also find that I have gained weight since my relationship.

Feel free to friend me and we can share our progress together!