ISO modern day June Cleavers...

Options

Replies

• john_not_typical
    john_not_typical Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My wife does most of the cooking in our family. Sometimes we cook enough food for several days at once and just heat it up as we go through the week, but we always eat dinner together unless one of us is working late. (Or the kids have a late activity.) I'm usually doing laundry or cleaning while she cooks because could kids be more dirty?
  • lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    We (my husband and I) not only cooked most of the meals in our house, but we also took the time to teach both of our daughters how to cook. I love to bake, though i don't do it as much as when the kids were still at home, as I really don't need to eat it !! LOL We ate dinner as a family almost every night, and our girls each has a day of the week that they cooked for the family, so they could see what it was like to plan and cook an entire meal. I miss those days... ;)
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    lborsato1 wrote: »
    We (my husband and I) not only cooked most of the meals in our house, but we also took the time to teach both of our daughters how to cook. I love to bake, though i don't do it as much as when the kids were still at home, as I really don't need to eat it !! LOL We ate dinner as a family almost every night, and our girls each has a day of the week that they cooked for the family, so they could see what it was like to plan and cook an entire meal. I miss those days... ;)
    See...I love this! It doesn't mean that your daughters were "programmed" to be "perfect" wives or mothers! But, they shared with you & dad and they can go on to care for themselves and understand time management, budgeting, etc. All useful life skills and priceless memories!

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Becka4prez wrote: »
    ThomasW13 wrote: »
    i love to cook. no family though of course so its not quite the same. i do it because i enjoy it more than anything,

but i definitely agree that it is a dying breed of people who enjoy it and are willing to do it regularly. most of the girls i know can't cook to save their life. unless its y'know like a grilled cheese or something.

It's kind of unfortunate that women these days aren't learning to cook. I get the career thing, but, ladies, men like to eat. Learn to cook, keep a man! LOL

I have the 1950's on the phone. They want to talk to you.
  • asianfashionista86
    asianfashionista86 Posts: 5,045 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    i love to cook. no family though of course so its not quite the same. i do it because i enjoy it more than anything,

but i definitely agree that it is a dying breed of people who enjoy it and are willing to do it regularly. most of the girls i know can't cook to save their life. unless its y'know like a grilled cheese or something.

It's kind of unfortunate that women these days aren't learning to cook. I get the career thing, but, ladies, men like to eat. Learn to cook, keep a man! LOL

Hahahha you sent me that diarrhea pic didn't u?
  • MrsGreco
    MrsGreco Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 years old (married for 3.5 years) and my husband and I cook dinner every night together. If he has had a long day at work I tell him to relax and prep/cook dinner myself. I prepare our lunches for the next day as well. I have a full time job (45hrs/week) and we also own a thriving business. We also live on a small ranch and take care of several animals. He usually takes care of all the yard work...which is about 4 acres to maintain (thank goodness for our tractor!) and I maintain the house (cleaning, laundry, shopping...etc)
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom and cook most of the nights when my kids are home. They are still fairly young but are beginning to learn the basics because I think it is important to know how to feed yourself. With that being said I don't find it "sad" that not everyone takes the time to cook or goes out and grabs take away food. Each family is different and has different goals and priorities. Yes, I can get dinner on the table faster than I could drive to fast food and back and divvy it up, but some days I just don't want to cook and clean up the mess after. Also, I have better conversations with my kids in the car than I do when we are sitting at the table eating dinner and they are trying to rush off to finish playing whatever game they are playing or to go back out to play with their friends. Sometimes it's worth it to drive somewhere and eat out.
  • Becka4Real
    Becka4Real Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with the 1950's. Oh, wait, let me grab my pearls and a coctail!
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with the 1950's. Oh, wait, let me grab my pearls and a coctail!

I've got my heels on and my cosmo in hand. Let's talk recipes @Becka4prez
  • Becka4Real
    Options
    Of course! Let me just tie this apron and pull out my recipe box!
  • asianfashionista86
    asianfashionista86 Posts: 5,045 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with keeping a man happy by cooking. That's why I keep myself happy. Wait, that's...yeah, that seems about right.

:'(
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It's never a good idea to compare yourselves to others.
  • Becka4Real
    Options
    Cooking is something I bring to the table. I guess other women are bringing other things to the table.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    We still try to do family meals, but I do a lot of cooking since that was a long ago career aspiration of mine. So not as traditional as June, but still gotta have family time like Andy.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    We cook every night. I do more of it because I plan the meals to fit within my requirements but he cooks a few nights a week. We both work full time but he's often home earlier so he cooks or assembles ingredients I've pre-prepped. I also make our protein balls, muesli bats etc. it's cheaper and healthier than eating out.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I really cook (like roasting a chicken or making chili) a couple of times a week. But then there are also nights where I'll make "convenience" foods...like pasta with sauce from a jar served with a bag o' salad, or scrambled eggs (because my kids love breakfast for dinner...aka "brinner"). Then of course there are the evenings where our kids' activities keep us out late and we end up grabbing a pizza or I'll just make sandwiches (when we are going straight from karate to baseball or cub scouts there is also the occasional drive-thru meal.) My husband travels for work about 50% of the time, and while my kids are good eaters, they don't always appreciate the effort I put into more elaborate meals...so I am more likely to cook when he is home...although I admit that sometimes it's annoying that he wants a home cooked meal when he returns on the weekend because he's been eating in restaurants all week, and I've been cooking all week and want to be taken out for a change.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    My mom was the one who cooked regularly, but I learned how to cook from my dad. I get up and pack my husbands lunch, make him breakfast, and cook dinner most nights. My girls get to cook dinner by themselves a few times a month, and. Not because they are girls, but because I happen to have all girls. I love cooking (most of the time lol) so that is why I cook. Cooking is my love language. I like making things for other people and seeing them enjoy it. Food is my passion.
  • SquatNSparkle
    SquatNSparkle Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    Cooking is something I bring to the table. I guess other women are bringing other things to the table.

OMG, you so hot! I think you are a real woman unlike the ones lifting weights and counting calories. I love you Becka

She is an amazing woman and a wonderful friend. From her food pics on IG, she is an incredible cook too...I'm often drooling over her food.

But you know what? She can count calories, lift weights AND is a helluva cook. :)

• masihbelum
    masihbelum Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For us, a shared meal at night brings our day to a focus--we're home to enjoy time and a good meal together. I'll admit that my husband and I eat on the couch in front of the television most nights, but it is a home-cooked meal and we take time to catch up after the show when we've relaxed a bit. When kids happen, we'll follow the Cleavers' (and many others') fine example, since family conversation can be such a great place for learning how to be a positive part of a group--pleasant, polite, engaging in constructive conversation. In the school for at-risk kids I work with, sitting down for lunch each day is a learning curve for lots of kids, but helps them relax and enjoy each other and eat a good meal before being excused. We're intentional about this routine, as it's such a healthy lifetime habit.