Walking up/down steps vs walking

Options
br3adman
br3adman Posts: 284 Member
In 4 mins of walking up and down steps I could feel the burn in muscles I've never felt walking 3 - 30 min walks daily.. I've read you burn 50% more calories but you get tired quicker also. N
I burned 79 calories in 4 mins. I'll increase a minute each time or until I give out lol. Do you guys feel differently vs walking

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    On my last China trip, I switched from walking the 3.2 mile round trip to and from the office to doing extra circuits up and down the 25 flights of stairs in the building. Did a circuit that ended up being 29 flights.
    Stairs were substantially less impact on my feet and most definitely felt it more in my legs than walking. Also a lot more sweat. Higher heart rate too. Better for my mental health too since I was not in as much pain. Walking hurts my arthritic feet.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I would be great exercise if you only walked up stairs because you are lifting your weight with each step. On the other hand, going down you are coasting.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Here in SoCal we have earthquake drills. People have to take the stairs from the high rises. And the next day no one is moving.

We have a thousand-stair beach near me. And, my first time I thought, "piece of cake". Wrong. Such a great workout. I keep it up at my local highschool stadium's bleachers.

Go to your local highschool and walk the bleachers. When that gets easy, you can mix it up with lunge, wide and side steps.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,063 Member
    Options
    At my place of employment, we are encouraged to take the stairs to our 5th floor office. There's a sign at the bottom that tells us that we'll burn 30 cal if we do. :)

So ... I try to do it several times a week.

At first, I probably looked like I needed medical attention when I got to the top, but it is getting easier.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Steps will definitely increase the intensity over walking and will demand more from your muscles which will in respond and build capacity, so it's all good. Anything that you can do to keep challenging yourself, your mind and especially your body is good. Keep increasing that challenge over time.

If I didn't enjoy running I might use stairs as you suggest to improve the benefit vs time equation. Some strength training could help you avoid injury especially while descending stairs. Your knees need good support from the related musculature. Don't forget to stretch!