Should I exercise if...

Options
My calorie intake is barely above 1,200? My calorie goal is 1,500. Lately I've been bringing fruits and salad to work for lunch. The past couple days I've had pretty high calorie dinners, so it's come out to just around my BMR. But tonight for an event I pre-logged my dinner, and even being pretty generous with my food it's going to be just around 1,200.

Stats-
Weight: 190
Height: 5'10"

My average workout burns probably 200 calories (25 mins on the elliptical, then lifting weights and doing resistance stuff) according to Scooby's Calories Burned calculator. I know women can technically eat as low as 1,000, but I'm not sure if I should exercise this evening. The other day I exercised before dinner and almost passed out. My diary is open, so you can see what my meals are like.

Mostly I just want to know if it's safe to exercise on days when calorie intake is lower than normal?

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    yes
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Women should not be eating as low as 1000. The minimum you should eat is 1200 and, frankly, I believe that is too little for your height/weight so I wouldn't suggest making that your goal.

If you are not going to eat more today and you've had a problem feeling ill after eating low cal and exercising, don't do it. Are you unable to eat more calories today (i.e., are you going to be out somewhere and won't be able to get more food)? In general, you should be eating your exercise calories.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Why not eat more? 1200 is low for someone that is your height. At the very least, is there a reason you can't eat back the burned calories? One serving of PB would give you 200 more calories....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Why not eat more? 1200 is low for someone that is your height. At the very least, is there a reason you can't eat back the burned calories? One serving of PB would give you 200 more calories....

This. It's not that hard to add a banana and some nuts or a yogurt or, sure, some PB or a million other possibilities.

Or don't exercise, up to you.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    This might be a crazy idea, but you could...eat more food. And then you can exercise without passing out. Woah...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I would not go below 1200 even if you don't exercise.
    Eat more food. Eat up to your calorie goal. If you exercise eat a portion of the exercise calories.
    You could choose different foods that provide you the appropriate amount of calories if you feel you can not change the quantity of food that you eat. Nuts, avocado, banana, peanut butter, salad dressing, rice... somewhere on the forum there was a list.
    Stop getting diet versions of stuff- reduced fat, sugar free, etc.

ETA the link to calorie dense foods.
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Once in a blue moon probably isn't going to hurt - but more than a sporadic time or two and you're going to notice it. My recommended calorie allowance is 1400. When I work out with my trainer for 90 minutes, I know that I've burned the 200 difference between 1400 and 1200. Some days I eat it back, some days (though rarely) I don't, but on the days when I don't and then short myself too much again - wow I get fatigued.

Is there anyway you can fit in a little more? A spoonfull of peanut butter, some mixed nuts, or a little bit of cheese can add some good protein and fat into your day while also pushing you up above that minimum. Trust me, it can make a difference.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Women can technically eat 1,000 if they're short. I'm 5'1'' and even I get fatigued if I drift under 1,200 for too long. Try to get the energy in that your body needs. It's okay every once and a while to drop below, but it's important to try to eat more when you're exercising. It will make your workouts much easier. Try to find some calorie-dense foods like peanut butter, cheese, or even avocados to help meet your calorie goals.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Women can technically eat 1,000 if they're short. I'm 5'1'' and even I get fatigued if I drift under 1,200 for too long. Try to get the energy in that your body needs. It's okay every once and a while to drop below, but it's important to try to eat more when you're exercising. It will make your workouts much easier. Try to find some calorie-dense foods like peanut butter, cheese, or even avocados to help meet your calorie goals.

This^

1,200 is not for someone who is 5'10"

Do try to eat more. You want to eat enough so that your body will support existing lean muscle while losing fat. This will help you lower your body fat %
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm worried that if I try to eat more, I'll go overboard and eat WAY too much. That's what's been happening as of late. My roommate and I are hosting a game night tonight, so I wanted to set limits as to what I'm eating (tonight is a sandwich potluck thing, where everyone brings different sandwich ingredients). It's really easy for me to get carried away :[
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    im 5'1 and get real mean and bitchy if i fall too far below 1400 (net) for too many days.

eat back your exercise calories, or at least enough to get you over that 1000 (at a MINIMUM) mark, and make them fairly nutritious calories.
  • newblue95
    newblue95 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and 146 lbs and I have to eat between 1800 and 2200. Lower than that, I feel terrible. I work out a lot though and the more I eat the more energy I have to work out so it's always better for me to eat more. My bmr is also somewhere around 1400 so if I were you I would not eat 1200.
  • victoriaamarie1330
    victoriaamarie1330 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    There is no reason you should be eating as low as 1000. Even at 1200, you are probably below your maintenance. Your body needs more energy to survive and it needs even more if you are going to workout on top of that. One of the reasons you probably go way overboard if you eat more is because your body does in fact need more. I understand you are probably trying to lose weight, but it needs to be done in a healthy and sustainable way.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up so that you get to eat your calories back. So if you are eating 1500, and you exercise off 300, then you get to eat 1800. Be aware, however, that MFP is often too generous with the number of calories MFP assigns to exercise.
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Figure out your calorie goal, which sounds like it's somewhere between 1200-1500. Exercise, eat back at least half of the calories, which keeps you at the original 1200-1500 goal. Log how much you're losing and how you feel, and you may need to adjust from there. For example, if you are getting dizzy or feel like you have little energy, you may need to be closer to 1500. Don't use calories as an excuse not to move and exercise. Unless your wages somehow are limiting you from eating more, there is no reason to keep yourself from feeling healthier and energized by eating less. If you are tempted when eating more food, then try to only purchase food you know you won't binge on. For example, my husband and I no longer buy cookies cause we know we'll eat them all in one day.

I'm 5'11" and have lost 80lbs on MFP by eating back exercise calories and eating somewhere between the lose 2lbs and 1lb the whole time, so don't be afraid to eat back what you work out.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    kandell wrote: »
    I'm worried that if I try to eat more, I'll go overboard and eat WAY too much. That's what's been happening as of late. My roommate and I are hosting a game night tonight, so I wanted to set limits as to what I'm eating (tonight is a sandwich potluck thing, where everyone brings different sandwich ingredients). It's really easy for me to get carried away :[

I had this exact fear. I figured if i set the goal low I would have room for when i inevitably blew past it and/or logged everything i ate inaccurately. Instead I ended up sticking to my ridiculous goal pretty well but started going on nasty binges every week or so. Now I have changed my goal to 0.5 lb/week, try to eat all of my calorie goal (including most of my fitbit charge hr calorie adjustment, which general consensus around here seems to say is pretty accurate) and things have been going much more smoothly.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Nutrition and exercise work together to help you achieve your weight goals. You MUST eat enough to sustain your exercise. Plan a pre and post workout snack to fuel your energy burn.