What kind of milk is best for you?

Options
Hey y'all! I've been on MFP on and off for about a year or so, but I'm new to the message boards. So on to my question...

Which type of milk packs the most nutrition into a serving while keeping the calories low? I have been switching back and forth between skim almond, and light soy milk. I tried almond because it has less calories, but didn't like that it was so low in protein compared to the others. I like that almond and soy have more vitamins and minerals than dairy milk. I really need as much protein in my diet as I can get.

So what are your thoughts? Also, please feel free to add me! I need more friends to connect with and receive support from. Thanks and have a healthy day! :)

Replies

• withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm not concerned with getting more protein, just calcium and lower cals, which is why I love love love unsweetened almond milk!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Fair Life milk has extra protein. If you want the biggest bang for your calorie buck, skim/fat free milk will give you that.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't rely on milk for protein. There are plenty of other protein sources out there.

Drink the milk that you like best and get your protein from meat, cheese, nuts, seeds, etc.

• ktgbgrme
    ktgbgrme Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just started using unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my coffee to save carbs. It's surprisingly good!
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I drink good ol' fashioned cow's milk. 2%. 122 cals, 5g of fat, 11g carbs, 8g protein for an 8 oz serving :) I've tried nut milks and they just aren't for me.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i love almond milk, but I find dairy milk works best for my needs.
    whatever meets your needs/wants is the milk you should drink
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Whatever you like best and fits your nutrition goals.

I rarely drink milk or add it to anything, but eat a lot of dairy and love it and finds it helps me meet my protein needs. I also use tofu sometimes. I would see no reason to replace dairy with soy, but if you like it better, it's fine.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on where you end up at the end of the day. I'll occassionally fit in a cup of 1% cows milk, but that's because I'm always lacking in fat and protein and 1 cup will give me a little bit of both (plus, I like milk before bed, so it's not a bad "snack" for me.)

But almond milk is also very good and I love that it's lower in calories. (Although sometimes I'll go for the sweetened chocolate. >_> It's a rare treat, but I love it.)
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I drink unsweetened cashew milk, it's very creamy and has a lot of calcium. I've never tried to cook with it though.
    It's only 25 calories a cup.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Milk isn't a necessity in the diet, so don't force yourself to drink it if you don't want to. That said, if protein is the issue, then just drink the milk with a protein powder that's high per serving. Many are 24g plus per serving.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kristenngreen
    kristenngreen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love flax seed milk. Had it at a friends and it was the best kind. I have tried fat-free, 1% and 2% cow's milk. Soy, almond, and cashew. My next favorite is fat-free cow's milk.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened vanilla almond milk!!!! I am addicted to that stuff
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Whole milk, but not too much, is what I prefer. YMMV.
  • jillybeaner00
    jillybeaner00 Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That's exactly what I'm looking for!! Biggest bang for my caloric buck!! :)

I always drink milk with my breakfast, and if I have a protein or fiber bar. I'm just trying to get the most from my calories. At the end of the day I'm usually always lacking in protein.