Yet another noob question about cardio vs weight training.

Options
Shereewhitney88
Shereewhitney88 Posts: 87 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I hate cardio. I hate it. BUT I need to lose roughly 35 pounds to be in a healthy weight range for my height. That being said, should I suck it up and do the cardio until I lose the weight I want to lose then try to build muscle or should I be focusing on weight training? I've read that weight training while trying to lose weight is pointless and then some people swear by it. I'm not really too focused on how much I weigh, though I know I need to lose the weight. I am more interested in looking and feeling better. I want to be ... tighter and more toned, less jiggly. But I am literally at a loss as to what I should be doing to accomplish MY body goals. I've seen some of you, your bodies are amazing and I am hoping one of you can give me a little guidance. <3

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I hate cardio. I hate it. BUT I need to lose roughly 35 pounds to be in a healthy weight range for my height. That being said, should I suck it up and do the cardio until I lose the weight I want to lose then try to build muscle or should I be focusing on weight training? I've read that weight training while trying to lose weight is pointless and then some people swear by it. I'm not really too focused on how much I weigh, though I know I need to lose the weight. I am more interested in looking and feeling better. I want to be ... tighter and more toned, less jiggly. But I am literally at a loss as to what I should be doing to accomplish MY body goals. I've seen some of you, your bodies are amazing and I am hoping one of you can give me a little guidance. <3

Absolutely not.

Lifting will help you retain (and in some cases increase ) LBM while in a caloric deficit. You can also increase strength while in a caloric deficit, if that is important to you. A caloric deficit is needed in order to achieve weight loss. You do not NEED cardio, but it can aid in the process by allowing you to be able to eat more or create a larger caloric deficit.
  • igarcia13
    igarcia13 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think you have to do both, I've been weight training for 2 weeks and eating clean but I've only lost 2lbs. I have had compliments that I look like I've lost a lot of weight but my scale doesn't show it. On other occasions, doing only cardio has helped me lose about 2-3 lbs a week so now I've decided to do both weight training and cardio everyday. Hope that helps
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio. I f**king hate it. BUT I need to lose roughly 35 pounds to be in a healthy weight range for my height. That being said, should I suck it up and do the cardio until I lose the weight I want to lose then try to build muscle or should I be focusing on weight training? I've read that weight training while trying to lose weight is pointless and then some people swear by it. I'm not really too focused on how much I weigh, though I know I need to lose the weight. I am more interested in looking and feeling better. I want to be ... tighter and more toned, less jiggly. But I am literally at a loss as to what I should be doing to accomplish MY body goals. I've seen some of you, your bodies are amazing and I am hoping one of you can give me a little guidance. <3

Absolutely not.

Lifting will help you retain (and in some cases increase depending on the circumstances) LBM while in a caloric deficit. You can also increase strength while in a caloric deficit, if that is important to you. A caloric deficit is needed in order to achieve weight loss. You do not NEED cardio, but it can aid in the process by allowing you to be able to eat more or create a larger caloric deficit.

COSIGN
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I strictly consider my "exercise" to be weight training at this point. However I try to incorporate more cardio-like activities such as walking my dogs and hiking as bonus calorie burners (I don't count them). I hardly do real cardio exercises now and I am still losing weight at steady pace. Good luck :smile:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I hate cardio. I hate it.

If you don't enjoy it, don't do it.

What I would question is what are you doing? Personally I fully understand not enjoying droning along on a machine in a gym, but I am happy going for a trail run, or a good long cycle out in the real.

Find something you enjoy, rather than feeling constrained to machines.

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    A progressive strength training program + progressive cardio program can be ideal for getting lean. They must be fueled as they can wipe you out.

I think the key is to find a progressive (challenging) program you like.

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio. I f**king hate it. BUT I need to lose roughly 35 pounds to be in a healthy weight range for my height. That being said, should I suck it up and do the cardio until I lose the weight I want to lose then try to build muscle or should I be focusing on weight training? I've read that weight training while trying to lose weight is pointless and then some people swear by it. I'm not really too focused on how much I weigh, though I know I need to lose the weight. I am more interested in looking and feeling better. I want to be ... tighter and more toned, less jiggly. But I am literally at a loss as to what I should be doing to accomplish MY body goals. I've seen some of you, your bodies are amazing and I am hoping one of you can give me a little guidance. <3

Absolutely not.

Lifting will help you retain (and in some cases increase ) LBM while in a caloric deficit. You can also increase strength while in a caloric deficit, if that is important to you. A caloric deficit is needed in order to achieve weight loss. You do not NEED cardio, but it can aid in the process by allowing you to be able to eat more or create a larger caloric deficit.

Absolutely this.
    It is true you will gain hardly any new muscle, but without weight training part of your weightloss will consist of muscle. Through weight training you will limit (or even prevent) muscle loss.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    igarcia13 wrote: »
    I think you have to do both, I've been weight training for 2 weeks and eating clean but I've only lost 2lbs. I have had compliments that I look like I've lost a lot of weight but my scale doesn't show it. On other occasions, doing only cardio has helped me lose about 2-3 lbs a week so now I've decided to do both weight training and cardio everyday. Hope that helps

ah no...actually don't have to do any exercise to lose weight..just calorie deficit.

and eating clean is what??? washing your food?

To the OP start weights now...don't wait...I waited for 2 months...mind you I was doing strength training but lifting is the bomb.

I run now...2 years after I started....hasn't helped me lose weight but my cardio is in pretty damn fine shape again

• pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Weight training ( with supporting protein ) while at a caloric deficit is muscle sparing ( reduces loss of mass ) and can have measurable and valuable results in both body composition and strength.

Cardio based exercises are not required to lose weight, they are a tool that can help create a caloric deficit. You don't have to, but it has value. There are other significant health benefits. Cardio doesn't have to be you on a machine in the gym ... most recreational sporting activities can provide a good cardio workout, if the intensity level is sufficient to increase your heart rate.

I read somewhere that 90% of weight loss is based on nutrition, and only 10% on exercise, for the average person. I don't know if those exact percentages are true, but I can tell you from personal experience that it is much more practical to control what you put in to create the deficit, then to create it solely via exercise when not eating sensibly.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Agreed, you should lift.

Without the lifting, if you maintain a caloric deficit, yeah, you'll lose weight, but not just fat - you'll lose muscle.

The muscle is what you want to hang on to, so lift.

Cardio? I hate it. So I don't do it. But I walk, and walking is easy and really helps a ton. A simple fasted walk in the morning, or a brisk walk after dinner... You'll notice a difference in your fat loss rate.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Agreed, you should lift.

Without the lifting, if you maintain a caloric deficit, yeah, you'll lose weight, but not just fat - you'll lose muscle.

The muscle is what you want to hang on to, so lift.

Cardio? I hate it. So I don't do it. But I walk, and walking is easy and really helps a ton. A simple fasted walk in the morning, or a brisk walk after dinner... You'll notice a difference in your fat loss rate.

Yup I started out saying "I hate cardio" so I just walked...and biked a bit...now I run 3x a week and lift 4x a week.
  • strangeling06
    strangeling06 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio. I f**king hate it.

If you don't enjoy it, don't do it.

What I would question is what are you doing? Personally I fully understand not enjoying droning along on a machine in a gym, but I am happy going for a trail run, or a good long cycle out in the real.

Find something you enjoy, rather than feeling constrained to machines.

Agreed. Find what you enjoy doing. Some people run, dance, lift, play on playgrounds, hike, bike, jump, play sports, etc. If you enjoy what your doing, you'll be more likely to stick to and benefit from it.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If the only goal is for the scale to say a number, then 100% cardio is the way to go.
    If you'd like to have some muscle to show when you strip off the fat, then a combo of the 2 is the way to go.
    And don't try and stay at 1200cals while doing either version. Eat back some of the cals that you burn, otherwise you start winding up with loose skin from losing so fast you body can't adjust to the changes.
  • thingofstuff
    thingofstuff Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I treat cardio like a multivitamin. Something I try to do daily, but don't beat myself up if I forget once in a while. Strength training is important for looking toned, but vigorous cardio is an amazing protective step against many types of physical and cognitive impairment later in life. Even if you hate cardio, consider it an investment in your retirement, like an RRSP or something. Personally, a mix of cardio and strength training has helped me maintain my goals and feel healthy and confident.
  • igarcia13
    igarcia13 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

ah no...actually don't have to do any exercise to lose weight..just calorie deficit.

No need for rudeness and sarcasm, we're all here to help each other lose weight. Btw clean eating is eating unprocessed food, mostly fresh veggies, fruits, and lean protein.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

why would lifting be pointless? if you don't do any resistance training, you're going to lose a greater ratio of muscle to fat as you lose weight...which in turn will NOT give you that "toned" look...having muscle is kind of important to being "toned"

also, your weight loss is going to be largely attributable to your diet, not your exercise. start to look at fitness for the sake of fitness...and in that RE I highly recommend both cardio and resistance training as a matter of general fitness. mind you, cardio doesn't have to mean droning away on some machine...go outside and run or ride a bike or swim or hike, etc...open up your mind to other possibilities besides sitting in a gym using some machine.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options

No need for rudeness and sarcasm, we're all here to help each other lose weight. Btw clean eating is eating unprocessed food, mostly fresh veggies, fruits, and lean protein.

You missed the point of the sarcasm.

There's no such thing as "clean eating."

• Shereewhitney88
    Shereewhitney88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    <3 I love all of you (even the sarcastic ones!) I appreciate all the feedback and amazing advice. From what I gathered a little of both can be most beneficial, so I will try doing both, but I will focus more on weight training and building my strength. I used to love cardio, when I had my treadmill I used it every single day but I burned out. I still enjoy doing things outside, hiking, biking (even though I am so clumsy it's ridiculous) and swimming but I don't get the chance to do those all that often, especially in 95 degree weather. Earlier this year we bought the max trainer from bowflex .. the thing kills me but using it a couple times a week for the greater good can be done lol I really appreciate you guys, thanks for taking the time out of your day to reply to my questions :)
  • cwolfman13
    edited July 2015
    Options

actually, that's not true at all...last I checked this was called My Fitness Pal, not My Weightloss Pal or My Diet Pal...people here have numerous goals that go beyond weightloss...hell, I lost all of my weight over two years ago.

also, if you can't handle a little sarcasm, you're seriously doomed...and probably should just stay off of the internet in general.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    <3 I love all of you (even the sarcastic ones!) I appreciate all the feedback and amazing advice. From what I gathered a little of both can be most beneficial, so I will try doing both, but I will focus more on weight training and building my strength. I used to love cardio, when I had my treadmill I used it every single day but I burned out. I still enjoy doing things outside, hiking, biking (even though I am so clumsy it's ridiculous) and swimming but I don't get the chance to do those all that often, especially in 95 degree weather. Earlier this year we bought the max trainer from bowflex .. the thing kills me but using it a couple times a week for the greater good can be done lol I really appreciate you guys, thanks for taking the time out of your day to reply to my questions :)

I ride about 80 miles per week...and we're generally approaching 100* plus...I've never let the weather interfere with my training.