Exercising and Dieting...not losing weight?

Options
I started working out about a week ago, as well as eating below the recommended calorie intake...why is my weight staying as is?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Numerous reasons. Are you weighing and measuring your intake accurately?

Is the "working out" new to you? If so, this can often lead to a person holding water which can make you "think" you aren't losing.

To be honest though, while those are possibilities, 1 week is way to early to be able to tell. Keep at it for a month and reassess.
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are measuring your food and not "eyeballing" it.
  • MsSecondGuesser
    MsSecondGuesser Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The working out consists of gentle yoga, pilates (which I felt worked well cuz I can definitely feel it the next morning), low/mid intensity zumba, etc. So it's nothing too intense. It is fairly new as I started only 4 days ago...

Is it possible to lose 15 lbs in one month?
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The working out consists of gentle yoga, pilates (which I felt worked well cuz I can definitely feel it the next morning), low/mid intensity zumba, etc. So it's nothing too intense. It is fairly new as I started only 4 days ago...

Highly unlikely. The scale may say you lost quite a bit but it will probably be water weight. To truly lose body fat you need to be in a 3,500 calorie deficit in order to lose 1 pound of fat, which would mean you would need to have a deficit of 52,500 calories in one month. Do you know how many calories you burn in one day as opposed to how many you eat?
  • seneth
    seneth Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    A week is too early to tell, give it a month and see where ur @. I lost 12lbs my 1st month, but about 4-5lbs was water weight.
  • MsSecondGuesser
    Options
    Ok thanks guys!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

With 17 pounds to go........nope

A 15 pound a month loss would be a 1/2 pound loss every single day. That's a 1,750 calorie deficit every day of the week. That big a deficit can be had when you are a huge person. But you are smaller, and gentle to mid-intensity workouts won't burn a ton anyway....not gonna happen unless you eat almost nothing. Very dangerous....don't do it.

Set your goal to 1 pound a week for the first few weeks. Then dial it back to 1/2 pound a week (really). Weight loss is super slow when you are close to goal.
  • DinoChicken
    DinoChicken Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    How much weight you can lose also depends on how much you have to lose (your current bmi) as well as the type of weight you count as loss. I personally love losing the water weight in the beginning as my face and the back of my arms instantly seem less flabby. That's one of the main reasons I always start with restricting my carbs severely and add them back when I reach my goal.

So if its so easy why am I on here? I lost 60lb from oct1-jan1 one year starting at 205 and I'm 5'9. Those are real numbers.. I went <20g carbs a day with no other restrictions and used a stationary bike on its built in workouts. I brought my weight back up some to 150 during the first 6 mos after my loss because I didn't like my composition and from 2007 to 2012 kept myself within 10lbs of that weight.. Then at the end of 2012 I started nursing school and have rewarded my exhaustion and overstressed chair sitting self by gaining 45 lbs to my current weight of 200. I started today with new motivation. I graduate in exactly 13 weeks and want to be the person that started this journey and not here at 200 where I've become.
  • MsSecondGuesser
    Options
    I know that feeling! I lost about 35 lbs in 2 months when i first started and didn't keep my diet during the school year (also nursing).

Good luck to you!