Using a food scale

Options
Just wanted to throw out a thank you to everyone on here who has emphasized how important it is to use a food scale - I was losing okay from May to June but not consistently. In the last month or so, I've been weighing everything in grams except for liquids (which I never would have done had I not seen that advice here). I'm losing even better and more importantly, I'm losing consistently each week.

It's even easier most the time to throw my ingredients into a container or bowl, weigh them quickly, and get my numbers. And I know I'm accurate in my portion sizes, whereas when I used measuring spoons and cups, I could never really be sure.

To those of you who have constantly stressed the importance of weighing everything, thanks :).

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yay!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It really is easier and requires less clean-up. :)

Congrats on your losses! :)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Yes the scale is certainly the most accurate. Keep up the consistent work. That's what it takes! BOOM! -Roberta
  • Danixkm
    Danixkm Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    All hail the food scale! I seriously couldn't live without mine and it was a shock at first seeing how much I over estimated portion sizes. Congratulations on your loss =)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I experienced more consistency as well
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Here's a measuring tip that some people may not know about...

Instead of measuring things by taking them out of their container and putting them in a bowl that is sitting on your food scale, put the entire container on the food scale, zero it out, and remove whatever it is until you get the negative value you're looking for. For instance, put the tub of peanut butter on the scale, turn it on, then get your spoon and remove the peanut butter until the scale reads -32g (or whatever the serving size is).

This is particularly helpful for things like nut butters, cream cheese, yogurt, etc. because these things tend to stick to the spoon (and fingers). I personally lick said spoon (and fingers) clean after spreading out my peanut butter, so now I know that I'm not getting extra calories by doing that. Whatever is on the spoon is factored into those negative grams.
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Danixkm wrote: »
    All hail the food scale! I seriously couldn't live without mine and it was a shock at first seeing how much I over estimated portion sizes. Congratulations on your loss =)

Exactly! It's funny, I wasn't not weighing everything deliberately, I just didn't KNOW you could weigh food like that ;) - I also didn't realize a food scale could weigh in grams. I think I'm going to buy one for work so I have one in the office during the day, too - and I'm taking mine on our weekend trip so I can weigh out snacks in the hotel.

And thanks, all!
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Instead of measuring things by taking them out of their container and putting them in a bowl that is sitting on your food scale, put the entire container on the food scale, zero it out, and remove whatever it is until you get the negative value you're looking for. For instance, put the tub of peanut butter on the scale, turn it on, then get your spoon and remove the peanut butter until the scale reads -32g (or whatever the serving size is).

This is particularly helpful for things like nut butters, cream cheese, yogurt, etc. because these things tend to stick to the spoon (and fingers). I personally lick said spoon (and fingers) clean after spreading out my peanut butter, so now I know that I'm not getting extra calories by doing that. Whatever is on the spoon is factored into those negative grams.

Mind blown!! Thank you for this tip!!
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options

This? Is a GREAT tip. Thank you!! I was having fits trying to weigh out my Cookie Butter last night! :D
  • franfran1821
    franfran1821 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    That's a great tip lyndsey! Thanks
  • DinoChicken
    DinoChicken Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with food.. It's my addiction from growing it to cooking, caning, drying, and eating it.. I find just being able to have extra time with my food in its preparation helps me get over the fact that I'm eating less of it. Hence my love of scales!! I like seeing what a portion says it is and then weighting it out.. I've found pickles are huge liars..
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Yes! This is why MFP is the Illuminati of nutrition and fitness.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    This thread delivers.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I thought I knew all the stuffs! Now I know more stuffs and I don't have to waste as much peanut butter! (because of fear of extra lick calories, I was putting the dirty peanut butter spoon directly under a hot tap to avoid temptation)
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I always notice much more consistency when I weigh at least 80% of my intake.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    :+1: That's how it works, and will always work!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    This thread delivers.

I concur.