eating every 2 hours is it necessary

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism will go fine no matter how often you eat.

I mostly ate three meals, because that's what I prefer. I lost 95 lbs. You will find people here who did the 6 mini meal thing (not overnight though!) and others who do intermittent fasting or eat only once or twice a day. It's all personal preference.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    To lose weight , all you need is a calorie deficit. Meal timing has nothing to do with it. Eating every few hours to keep your metabolism going is a myth.

Eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight. Calories in - calories out
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Eat every 2-3 hours if you feel that that keeps you from over eating due to prolonged hunger. Like everyone else said...it doesn't effect your metabolism.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I don't think the body cares honestly. As long as the calories in are consistent and within the range that you want, you'll be absolutely fine. Back when I started, I tried to micro manage my total intake, and it ultimately did more harm than good. I was over training and trying do all of that extra stuff, dietarily, made no sense and gained me no progress when it was all said and done. Consistency is king, no matter what you do. Good luck!
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    While it might matter a tiny bit, it's not enough to worry about. Losing weight is 99.8 calories in/calories out. Too many people like to focus on the .2 though.

that .2% sounds easier. EAT 6 MEALS A DAY! why not? im fat and hungry. DRINK GREEN TEA! i love green tea!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Unless the green tea is replacing a sweeter beverage like soda or juice, it does nothing for weight loss in and of itself. ;)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Is it necessary to eat every 2 or 3 hours..to loose fat...anybody here who lost fat witjout eating every 2 or 3 hours...

No, it's not necessary. How could it be when people who have literally nothing to eat end up looking so skinny?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have always heard it's good to eat every two hours because it keeps your metabolism going.

nope total myth …just eat in a calorie deficit
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Is it necessary to eat every 2 or 3 hours..to loose fat...anybody here who lost fat witjout eating every 2 or 3 hours...

No, it's not necessary. How could it be when people who have literally nothing to eat end up looking so skinny?

Ya but then they say u store fats...
    Some people eat once a day and lose weight.
    As long as you eat less food than you used to eat, you will lose weight.

Your body stores fat when you eat over your calorie limit.
    It does not care when you eat because is working for you twenty-four/seven.
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    eat as many times as you want providing you have a deficit. when i am dieting i eat every 2/3 hours simply because i can't stand feeling hungry. when bulking i eat every 4/5 hours
  • suzanzale
    suzanzale Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I eat only from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM (sometimes 11:00
    AM to 7:00 PM) I fast 16 hours a day. I try to eat 1100 to 1200 calories a day. I am seldom hungry doing this as I limit my carbs by avoiding sugar and starches. This has been working for me and I feel less bloated and thinner. I drink 8 glasses or more of water daily.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Split up your calories for the day in a way that works for you. If you want to eat 6 meals a day, then figure out what your calories would be for each meal and go for it. If you only want to eat 2 meals a day, then figure out what your calories would be for each meal and do that. And so on. As long as your end of day calorie count matches what your goal is, you're fine.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I like having a small breakfast, lunch, and dinner with snacks in between. You have to do what works for your body. Weight loss isn't "one size fits all", but multiple meals doesn't do anything for metabolism.