new to night shift and all i want to do is eat!

Options
rmcm774
rmcm774 Posts: 2 Member
I just started night shift at my hospital. I'm new to the 12 hour shift thing anyway and I am not a night person so I am using food (and soda) to keep myself awake. Then I come home and because I'm a morning person I have trouble sleeping so I grab a snack... Any tips on how to get on a good eating schedule for working nights?

Replies

• thetoughequus
    thetoughequus Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It takes a little bit of figuring out, I've been on night shift for about a year now.
    Pack yourself a lot of healthy snacks, try to balance some proteins/fats to keep you full, and combine slow release and quick release carbs (fruits and grains) to keep your energy up without grabbing for candies and caffeine.
    I'm also a morning person and find it easiest to fall asleep if I close the door/blinds to make it very dark. I actually ended up buying extra curtains to block out even more light for the day.
    Other than that, it'll just be an adjustment period where you'll need some extra diligence, but I promise it gets easier!
  • mjenkins74mj
    mjenkins74mj Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've been on swing shift for about 19yrs and I still don't have it figured out. One of my problems is I don't eat at all except for Dinner and then at Midnight.
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    my hubby works night shifts a lot and eats to help keep him awake. he stopped bringing meals and started bringing healthy foods to snack on so he could graze throughout the night. he brings stuff like carrot sticks, mini bell peppers, an apple, orange, and banana. sometimes tuna with crackers. he's been losing weight :-)
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Ive been working night shift for almost 4 years again. The key is bringing lots of healthy snacks. Big meals make me Very sleepy. I space my snacks 1 1/2-2 hours apart and about 100-200 calories each.
    Chicken/turkey breast
    String cheese
    Fresh fruits
    Fresh veggies chopped (i use a lttle low fat sour cream with dill) for flavor sometimes.
    Granola bars
    Popcorn