Hypothyroidism or laziness?

Options
Hello everyone!
I'm recently back on MFP again after many failed attempts at losing weight. Every time I make a weight loss goal I always end up giving up after seeing no results. Recently my doctor recommended I get my blood checked for hypothyroidism after complaining to her I was feeling depressed. My problem is my medical coverage recently expired and I have no way of getting coverage or paying medical bills until september. Basically what I am asking is does it sound like I have a thryoid issue or am I just not trying hard enough?

Back story:
I've always been a chubbier girl (I'm 22 now) but not until I turned 18 did I begin gaining as quickly. I put on 30-40 pounds over a year but I just chalked it up to poor diet and low activity levels. It wasn't until I began dieting that I realized something was off. I tried every caloric restriction but no matter what I'd never lose more that 5-8 pounds. This would be great if I wasn't 80 pounds overweight. Along with having a hard time losing weight I also have noticed my hair becoming extremely thin, I started getting adult acne, my skin is dry, and I'm always tired and depressed.

Thanks for any input and feel free to add me as a friend, my dash has been looking pretty dead lately!

Replies

• Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    It could be a thyroid issue but only a blood test could tell you for sure. You really should have the test done as soon as you can though since it's not good to let this go untreated. However, in the meantime, focus on accurate logging (weigh your solids, measure liquids), eat your exercise calories but maybe only half if you don't have an HRM/fitness tracker, maybe take a multivitamin with iron and vitamin d as these can cause many of the same symptoms.
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. Your symptoms could be hypo, but they could also be caused by any number of other things. In order to either confirm or rule out this illness you will need to see a doctor. I've been without insurance in the past and know how frustrating and frightening that can be, but no one here can accurately diagnose an illness online. Do you have a planned parenthood clinic nearby (depending on the location they offer far more than BC related treatment) or a free clinic of some sort? They may be able to help you while you wait for your new insurance to kick in.

Weight gain is only one possible symptom of this illness. Everyone is different, but in my case, I also suffered from frequent periods of extreme fatigue, depression, stomach problems, diffuse chronic hairloss, very dry skin, my nails had a tendency to easily chip or crack. The illness made weight loss more difficult, but not impossible. I have been losing weight eating at a deficit.

Starting May 1st I began walking more (I aim for 12,000 steps a day, but don't always complete that number), exercising moderately (mainly cardio) at least 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes to an hour, and eating at a deficit (between 1600 and 1880 calories a day). I started weighing my food. I've also started including a few IF days each month. While I'm eating more fruit and vegetables, I'm not eating a special or "clean" diet of any sort. Everything in moderation is my motto. So far, I have lost 15 pounds. I'm 5ft 6in, my starting weight was 191 (the heaviest I've ever been). My weight is now 176. I have an additional 40-50 pounds to lose, and it could take me ten months or more to lose it, which can be frustrating, but I feel like I'm making steady progress.

If you do turn out to be hypo, don't give up hope. It is possible to lose weight with hypo, you just have to be diligent.You don't sound lazy, just discouraged. It is difficult to find the motivation to eat right and exercise when you feel ill and depressed. I know from personal experience, but exercise can help ease the depression. It's not a miracle cure, but over time, it helps. Also, as I have started making progress, meeting small monthly goals, it has increased my motivation to continue.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any way right now to medically know if you're hypothyroid, it's best to focus on what you can know and control. Which is what you eat and how you exercise.

Personally, it was harder for me to lose weight after my thyroid went wacky. I think it is less common to be a lifelong condition--and it is often accompianed by other symptoms (hair loss, dry skin, constantly feeling cold, constipation, depression, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, pre-diabetes/hypoglycemic are among them).

But it is possible to lose weight with the condition. It just takes more time and effort and patience.

I would really be tight with your logging and underestimate your exercise burn. Before MFP, I would swear I was eating at a deficit. Yeah ... I wasn't. Before my fitness tracker, I would swear I was exercising intensely. Yeah ... I wasn't.

My best bottom-line advice is, if you really think you are hypothyroid, find the money to get yourself checked. My blood pressure and previously always enviable cholesterol skyrocketed to dangerously high levels. And the hypoglycemia I developed was no picnic, either. I'm all good now, though.

The About.com thyroid boards used to have a list of the best thyroid docs by state. Couldn't hurt to talk to a few docs and explain your situation, maybe someone will reduce their fees. Also not sure about your Affordable Care Act status, but there are some good plans here in CA. I know people enrolled who go to Kaiser like I do. Couldn't hurt to look at that as well, if you haven't already.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My doctor recommended I get my blood checked for hypothyroidism after complaining to her I was feeling depressed. I have no way of getting medical coverage or paying medical bills until September.

I'd never lose more than 5-8 pounds. This would be great if I wasn't 80 pounds overweight.

I also have noticed my hair becoming extremely thin, I started getting adult acne, my skin is dry, and I'm always tired and depressed.

Get your thyroid blood tests in September—and see a therapist for your depression. In the meantime, learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Thyroid meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But they had zero effect on my weight. I still kept gaining until I started eating fewer calories than I burn.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Both the blood test and thyroid pills are pretty cheap.

It's worth paying for out-of-pocket.

Please don't conflate metabolic disease and laziness. Get a real diagnosis and go from there.
  • HelloImKelsey
    HelloImKelsey Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information everyone! I checked with my boss today and they're able to help me out with work benefits. Hopefully I should be able to get checked earlier than September but until then I'll take everyones advice and log as accurately as possible!
    Thanks again everyone!!
  • vasumodi
    vasumodi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should get checked. I have been hypo - weight gain, depression and dry skin were all a part of it. Also, if you are starting on a fitness plan - important to exercise as well as cut calories. I have managed to bring my TSH levels down to within range without medication. None of the doctors believe me but a month of daily brisk walking brought my TSH down from 6.67 to 2.86. It has to go down further but this was without medication and in just one month.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    vasumodi wrote: »
    None of the doctors believe me but a month of daily brisk walking brought my TSH down from 6.67 to 2.86. It has to go down further but this was without medication and in just one month.

Correlation is not causation. TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is produced by the pituitary gland in the brain when there aren't enough thyroid hormones in the blood. Thyroid levels fluctuate for all sorts of reasons—but not from walking briskly.

For example, Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease) is caused by antibodies attacking the thyroid. Sometimes the thyroid responds by overproducing T4 & T3; often it doesn't produce enough.

Your anectdata could be seen as a recommendation for people to go off their meds & take a walk. That would be extremely dangerous.

I should be able to get checked earlier than September, but until then I'll take everyone's advice and log as accurately as possible!

Great news, OP!
  • porterparkermom
    porterparkermom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information everyone! I checked with my boss today and they're able to help me out with work benefits. Hopefully I should be able to get checked earlier than September but until then I'll take everyones advice and log as accurately as possible!
    Thanks again everyone!!

• vasumodi
    vasumodi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    vasumodi wrote: »
    None of the doctors believe me but a month of daily brisk walking brought my TSH down from 6.67 to 2.86. It has to go down further but this was without medication and in just one month.

Correlation is not causation. TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is produced by the pituitary gland in the brain when there aren't enough thyroid hormones in the blood. Thyroid levels fluctuate for all sorts of reasons—but not from walking briskly.

For example, Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease) is caused by antibodies attacking the thyroid. Sometimes the thyroid responds by overproducing T4 & T3; often it doesn't produce enough.

Your anectdata could be seen as a recommendation for people to go off their meds & take a walk. That would be extremely dangerous.

I should be able to get checked earlier than September, but until then I'll take everyone's advice and log as accurately as possible!

Great news, OP!

Hi there, I don't see how I recmmended to the OP or anyone that they get off thyroid medication! I suggested OP go get it checked! All I did was recommend exercise in addition to cuting calories.

Further, there has indeed been medical research showing a correlation between thyroid function and yes - exercise: http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/04/23/exercise-and-effect-on-thyroid-hormone/

Even my doctor, a trained MD, told me that a 10% reduction in TSH levels could be expected with exercise - it's the beyond 10% in my case, that he couldn't figure out.