Deficit, Still Not Getting It

Hey,

I have asked before, but I still can just not wrap my head around how to calculate my deficit. I googled it... Not sure if I'm understanding this, but am I supposed to come up with what my maintenance level for my current weight is, then subtract the actual calories I try to get (1,210), THEN add on my exercise calories?

Or do I just look at my calories burned minus the calories I ate? For example, I have consumed around 1,123 calories and have only burned 1,712, so I have a 589 deficit? Someone dumb this ALL the way down for me. The more simple you can make it, the better... Neither of these seem right.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Just enter your info into MFP and it does the rest. :)
  • starbritee
    starbritee Posts: 3 Member
    The goal is to burn more than you consume (if you're trying to lose weight) personally, I try to burn about 500 more calories than I consume.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    You were right with the 1st one sort of. I would just use the tools on this site and it will tell you how much to eat by calculating your BMR, how much weight you want to lose a week ( I recommend no more than 1 lbs) and then log your exercise or link your activity tracker like a fit bit. MFP will tell you how much to eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    the reason you add exercise with MFP is because you don't account for that activity in your activity level...you have to account for that activity somewhere...most calculators will include some estimate in your activity level and you will get a higher calorie target built in...but MFP just takes your day to day as your activity level.

Just put your numbers in the calculator and let the calculator calculate it...that's what it does...it will give you your target which includes your weight loss deficit...it's a calculator...that's what it does.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    If only there were an app or website that would provide a person with a caloric goal with the deficit already factored in ... maybe one day ....
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    MFP does the calculations for you. Your goal at the end of the day is to have 0 calories remaining.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    But how is the deficit already factored in? Is that the extra calories that it gives me a day, with my exercise? I only see my calorie goal, I don't see a deficit on here.
  • Kimegatron
    Can anyone give me the equation that you use to determine your deficit?
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Your deficit is already factored into your calorie goal.
  • brianpperkins
    Kimegatron wrote: »

MFP calculates your resting metabolic rate based on your age, gender, height, weight, and activity level. From there it subtracts 500 calories per day for every pound you tell it you want to lose per week ... your deficit.

Just accurately log and eat what it tells you to.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    But how is the deficit already factored in? Is that the extra calories that it gives me a day, with my exercise? I only see my calorie goal, I don't see a deficit on here.

No. Your calorie goal has the deficit built in. MFP took your total daily energy expenditure and subtracted the appropriate number of calories for weight loss based on what you entered.
  • Kimegatron
    How do I find out what my resting metabolic rate is?
  • brianpperkins
    edited July 2015
    How do I find out what my resting metabolic rate is?

THE PROGRAM CALCULATED IT FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you really want to do the math ... here's the Mifflin St.Jeor equation.

(female)={10W+6.25H-5A-161}*SF

• Kimegatron
    I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IT IS FOR MYSELF
  • Kimegatron
    I like to show my work for math problems when I'm taking classes, too. While it's a requirement in school, I actually like doing it. I like to know things.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IT IS FOR MYSELF

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Kimegatron
    Thank you, @kkenseth !!!
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Here, this will let you put in the numbers and it breaks it all down for you: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/#projectedweightloss
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    How many calories did mfp give you? That's how many you should be eating to lose weight. Assuming you entered the correct info.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member

Just put yourself to maintenance on MFP to see your "base" calories. Then put in your desired rate of loss to see your calorie goal. Subtract the difference-that is your deficit. Or do the math yourself.

When you exercise, Mfp gives you more calories bc it is not factored into the way it decides your calorie goal. Eat back about half of these as they are often inflated.

The reason you get so many answers online is bc there are a bunch of different calculations one can use-and a lot of *kitten* also, bc, ya know-the internet. There is no definitive answer-they are all estimates. Some include exercise, some do not. Put your numbers into MFP and add back some exercise-and relax. You're making this way more difficult than necessary.