My first MOT

mmnv79
mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
I get short of breath by not doing anything sometimes. When I was younger I was very sporty and now I have been doing exercise and walking lots since the last summer. I started walking, then swimming, kayaking, cycling and for the past weeks also running (C25K). I have a sedentary job, I eat healthier and in the past 6 months I have lost approx 22 pounds.

Today I went to see a doctor. I did a spirometry test and had a body composition analysis. My lung function is 380 l/min and my body composition analysis as follows:

36 yrs, fem., 5'5, 12st 11.2lbs
Fat 39%
Fat Mass 4st 13.8lbs
FFM 7st 11.4lbs
Muscle Mass 7st. 5.8lbs
TBW 5st 8.3lbs
TBW % 43.6%
BMR 6376Kj, 1524 cal.
Metabolic age 51
Visceral Fat Rating 7
BMI 29.8

I'm concerned about shortness of breath, but the doctor said to don't worry, keep eating healthy and exercising and come back in 6 months for another test.

I'm wondering how can I improve my lungs condition by exercising. Are there any specific exercises that will help?

Please feel free to give me any advice that might help improve my progress. Thank you!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Did the doctor tell you the cause of the shortness of breath?

If it happens while literally "not doing anything", talk to a doctor to rule out a heart problem.
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    edited July 2015
    He said it was because I was a smoker. I stopped smoking three years ago after smoking for approx 12 years.