This post is going to be a downer...

Options
13»

Replies

• nashiyashi
    nashiyashi Posts: 17
    Options
    My plan is to not give myself enough rope to hang myself with...that is, all I have to do is weigh myself at least weekly and nip anything in the bud if I start slacking on my portion sizes and see a weight gain outside of a preset range. I have failed at maintenance before and I am not going back there. :explode:

This was going to be my suggestion, once you are at your goal weight, give yourself a "range" of maybe 10 pounds that you would like to stay within and weigh yourself maybe once or twice a week. That way you can go about your life and allow yourself treats here and there, but as soon as you notice your weight creeping up you can get it under control and you will only have a few pounds to lose as opposed to 30 + pounds to deal with. Good luck!
  • Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I plan on logging my food every day for the rest of my life. And I plan on brushing my teeth every day for the rest of my life. I don't have to be obsessive, but for me it's like checking your bank account before you buy groceries...

I think for some of us, that's just what we will have to do.

^^^^^
    This.

I know I enjoy feeling better, having a goal, knowing that what I eat is good for me now.
    I treat this whole thing like a hobby.
    Once you find what works, run with it.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Can you tell me about something that does not take you thinking about it for everything to go right?
  • Siegel15
    Options
    After being able to hold on this time to my loss - for over six years - I think another poster already said it best. One day at a time. When you start thinking about "the rest of your life," that's when it gets to you. If I think about having to shower, put on make-up, pay bills, laundry, ANYTHING, for the REST OF MY LIFE, I just want to go back to bed and never get out. Every day will have its challenges. Some have less, some more. Once it becomes a lifestyle, you'll do it. Every day? Nope. Once in a while I don't take a shower. But I sure do take one the next day.

Focus on the now. And the healthy. Do your best. Will you fail sometimes? Yes. Get up again. It is worth it.

Good luck!!!

Very well put.
  • Siegel15
    Options
    Thanks- the part that depresses me is these new habits seem so good when I'm motivated, it seems impossible to go back to my old self. But somehow, it just happens. :/ I've stuck with this for almost a year, twice, and that still wasn't enough to entrench it into myself. When I'm doing it, I can't imagine going back to being lazy, but it happens without me even being conscious of it.

It really is a lifestyle change...and not just what you eat. A lot of us eat during times of boredom, stress, emotional times, as a form of entertainment, etc. Changing your lifestyle might meant that instead of family celebrations always being food related at a restaurant, they can be activity related like a picnic, rafting, going to a park, etc. They can also mean that you get a hobby to keep you busy so you're not bored and constantly eating.

Yes yes yes! This is what we need to do.
    For example, I will now only allow myself an apple or a proper meal in front of the lap top.
    No more 1 liter box of chocolate ice cream.
    And, I do not wait to exercise later in the day.
    Too possible to skip it.
    I do it first thing after morning coffee.
    Little permanent changes.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else annoyed that weight loss has to be something you will always have to think about? When I'm paying attention, focused, logging my food, I can get myself to a decent, healthy weight. The minute I get distracted it all comes piling back on. I'm so frustrated and feel like there's something wrong with me. I feel like I have an eating disorder, I have to think about food all the time to keep in control. I'm kind of depressed about the whole situation tonight, for the last 20 years this has been a struggle for me. I've lost 20 pounds a couple of times, 50 twice, but every time it comes back, even when I think to myself this is the last time!
    Yes, I do get annoyed sometimes - frustrated, bored, envious of people who don't have to think about this stuff. Sometimes I get the "it's not fair" blues, but you know what? It is what it is, and it's not the worst thing in the world. We all have our crosses to bear, and I know that I just have to accept that weight management is one of mine. Compared to many struggles in life, it's really not that big a deal. I wish I could maintain a healthy weight and not have to think about how much I'm eating every day, but I can't. That's a fact. I think that once I let go of the expectation/hope that it could be any different, it got a lot easier.

I still struggle sometimes. I also struggle with depression & anxiety, and am a dyed-in-the-wool emotional eater, so believe me there are some days when I just don't care about meeting my calorie goal. Sometimes I just have to rebel, but I have made a commitment to maintaining my weight, so if I let go of that control, I make sure it's only for a day or two at the most, and then I'm right back on it. Like someone said above me, "Once in a while I don't take a shower. But I sure do take one the next day. " - that's exactly it. You just have to get to know your own boundaries and how far you're comfortable letting go a bit. You also have to be sure that you'll still remain committed, and learn to trust yourself.