how to calculate body fat percentage?

Options
How?

Replies

• Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The best way to do it is with the water submergence test. Super expensive and impractical.

Second best way is to use fat calipers and using something like this to figure out what the measurements mean. http://www.linear-software.com/online.html
    the problem with calipers is that you need someone else to help you and if you don't do it right then you get a bad read.

The 3rd way is to do tape measurements. I am using this site:http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator

Finally you can buy a scale that sends an electric charge through your feet and measures how long it takes to make a complete circuit. The longer it takes the more fat you have.

Hope this helps!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You could get a DEXA scan or go get dunked. Otherwise, it's really just guesswork. In gyms, they'll tell people the calipers can do it. They say a lot of things in gyms, lol.

I had a DEXA scan. At the time, I had no interest in my body fat percentage, lol, but it was one of the easier tests.

If you really, really want to know, go get a test. :)
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You could get a DEXA scan or go get dunked. Otherwise, it's really just guesswork. In gyms, they'll tell people the calipers can do it. They say a lot of things in gyms, lol.

I had a DEXA scan. At the time, I had no interest in my body fat percentage, lol, but it was one of the easier tests.

although most accurate DEXA is pretty expensive to get done..besides you will be needing it multiple times to track your bf..just go with the everyday fat callipers or the anthropometry estimation and keep a watch on the change in bf..go here

http://www.weightrainer.net/bodycalc.html

ooo new website
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Seems like a random number generator with a range of 20-40 is just as accurate.

Scales apparently have large errors. Calipers depend entirely on the user.

I use scales but more of a trend number rather than an accurate measurement.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to know?

If it's to work out your macros use the bodyweight guideline minimums of 0.64-0.82g protein and 0.35lb fat per lb of bodyweight

If it's to work out if you need to lose more weight, strip off and jump up and down in front of a mirror nekkid, if it jiggles and isn't boobs or genitals it's body fat

If you want to say it ..try the army or navy calculators online which work from measurements round neck, waist, wrist etc ...they are as good as any other way

Never believe any bio impedance scale in terms of absolute

Rarely believe calipers unless in expert hands

Otherwise go with merkevar's random number generator ...seems justifiable :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

although most accurate DEXA is pretty expensive to get done..besides you will be needing it multiple times to track your bf..just go with the everyday fat callipers or the anthropometry estimation and keep a watch on the change in bf..go here

http://www.weightrainer.net/bodycalc.html

Ooo....where did s/he get these breakdowns from ...can anyone source these for accuracy?

Typical Natural Bodybuilder: For every 3 lbs of fat lost I will lose 1 lb of lean body mass (LBM loss = 25%)
    Optimistic: I only have a few lbs to lose and will diet only mildly (LBM loss = 15%)
    Beginner with only a few pounds to lose: I won't lose any lean body mass (LBM loss = 0%)
    Not Good: When I diet I always lose a lot of muscle (LBM loss = 36%)
    Stupid: I will crash diet and do no form of weight training (LBM loss = 50%)