Shocking discovery

Options
2»

Replies

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    madkcole wrote: »
    Thanks everyone but honestly I'm more confused than ever. All I wanted to do was find a way to track calories burned and calories consumed and based on what I've learned so far nothing is really accurate. LOL. Thought MFP would help with that but now I'm not so sure. I want to be accurate which is why I signed up with MFP and bought a heart monitor but it seems like there is no true way to know what's right! #feelingfrustrated

Pick a method, stick with it. After a month evaluate whether you're losing faster, slower or pretty much on plan. If faster, then you're underestimating, if slower you're overestimating. Adjust as required to keep on plan.

No method is accurate in all circumstances, as long as it's consistently wrong then you can work with that and mitigate the error over time.

That's how I do it. SO many variables, who knows the exact number
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    My elliptical overestimates my burn by about 250 calories more than what my HRM tells me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone but honestly I'm more confused than ever. All I wanted to do was find a way to track calories burned and calories consumed and based on what I've learned so far nothing is really accurate. LOL. Thought MFP would help with that but now I'm not so sure. I want to be accurate which is why I signed up with MFP and bought a heart monitor but it seems like there is no true way to know what's right! #feelingfrustrated
    Switch to TDEE and then you won't have to worry about it so much.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    how do you know that your hrm reading was accurate?

If I have to put my faith in something, especially for steady-state, it will always be my well programmed hrm.
    DavPul wrote: »
    how do you know that your hrm reading was accurate?

If I have to put my faith in something, especially for steady-state, it will always be my well programmed hrm.

Whelp. That settles that.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Pick a method, stick with it. After a month evaluate whether you're losing faster, slower or pretty much on plan. If faster, then you're underestimating, if slower you're overestimating. Adjust as required to keep on plan.

No method is accurate in all circumstances, as long as it's consistently wrong then you can work with that and mitigate the error over time.

This x 100.

/thread