How do I make my dream a reality?

Options
I am trying very hard to lose 60 pounds in 6 months before my wedding in December. I am eating healthy foods and working out everyday. I am very scared that in a month from now I am going to take a break and put the weight back on like I always do. I am wondering does anyone have any advice on how to lose 60 pounds in 6 months and how to keep myself on track without giving up? Thanks! :-)

Replies

• mellers
    mellers Posts: 8
    Options
    I was using the south beach diet...worked really well for me, I lost 36 lbs in 3 months. You could give that a try

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/food_list.html
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I was using the south beach diet...worked really well for me, I lost 36 lbs in 3 months. You could give that a try

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/food_list.html

Ditto. SBD is awesome! I'm in Phase 1 at the moment, and my energy is so high. It's a bit rough at first if you're a sugar junkie, because it detoxes you, but when it's all said and done any sugar cravings pretty much go away. And it's an extremely healthy way to eat.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I will tell you what worked for me, but everyone is different; and key to this was that I just finally arrived at a mental place that was tired of looking and feeling like I did. FIRST: I contacted 6 women friends and confided in them my mission (spelling out my goals regarding pounds to lose and what I was committing to exercise each week), and they all agreed to be my encouragers so I emailed them once a week after weight to report on my past week and they would respond with encouragement or suggestions on how to quit doing whatever I was doing to saboutage myself! TWO, I emptied my house of unhealthy foods! THREE: I created a chart on my bathroom mirror with a square for each week of my journey to record my weigh-ins (using dry erase markers). This chart took up OVER half of my wall size mirror so it greeted me every morning! FOUR: At the beginning of my chart, I tacked up a photo of my mother who is obese and ridden with physical ailments; and the end of the chart (24 weeks worth), I posted a picture of a healthy 40 something female (not a super model mind you, just a woman from a post card that I had seen that looked healthy). FIVE: I gave up white flour and white sugar, in general. SIX: I gave up alcohol for 4-6 weeks. SEVEN: I ate and still do, eat the perimeter of the grocery store - pretty much fresh items ONLY, though occasionally have something from the freezer section or the canned goods.
    I have to say that once I lost the first 19 pounds, I went out and bought a new pair of jeans and was shocked that I had dropped 3 sizes and wore those jeans everywhere. People were stopping me to comment on my weight loss and asking "how did you do it?" like I had found the magic pill! I never knew how much I need those positive accolades, but they are what have kept me going!!!!!!!! I am 1.5 pounds away from my goal and then will be dealing with the maintenance phase. I hope something I wrote will be helpful, but remember you have to find what motivates/encourages you. I do believe that a picture of something that makes you think of your wedding posted to your closet door, bathroom mirror, refrigerator and pantry would be reminders that should help to keep you on target! Good luck and post those wedding pictures in 6 months!
  • h_eloise86
    h_eloise86 Posts: 124
    Options
    Like Holton said, everyone is different.
    For me, I use this site and my husband to keep me accountable. He is always telling people about my progress and I am always on this site. So I have a network of people that know how I am trying to change my health and appearance. Keeps me motivated to stay on track. Also, I get cardio in six days a week and I do weights two to four times a week. It keeps my energy levels up. It makes me feel strong, like I can take on the world. Lastly, (and I think it's probably the most important) I eat. I eat three meals and one snack a day. I'm all about veggies, with a sprinkle of fruits here and there. I give myself treats every now and then so I do not binge but I try to feed my body right for the most part. Again, this also keeps my energy levels up and make me feel clean, fresh and strong. Sounds corny but I do feel a lot better than I did when I started this journey. I hope you can find a way to reach your goals that fits you perfectly. Feel free to add me :) Good luck on your journey!
  • Alda
    Alda Posts: 4
    Options
    I managed to lose 60 pounds in 7 months and just reached my goal. I kept no food in the house that I would want to snack on ie; bread,pasta, peanut butter, cookies etc. I planned my meals in advance, ate 3 a day. Good breakfast, ALWAYS, heaviest meal around noon, very very light at dinner. Drank lots of H2O and green tea. Brushed teeth after each meal and put myself to bed darn early if necessary, far away from the kitchen. Many a time I found myself in bed just waiting for the sun to set. Take it one meal at a time. I did not snack, even healthy snacks, because I was fearful it could cause a binge. Keep busy, find an addictive game on your computer and use that to waste time. I do Poppit at Club Pogo. Free. That really helped too. so I wasn't sitting and thinking about what I could put in my mouth next. Good Luck!! You CAN/WILL do this! The payoff is well well worth it. Alda
  • bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I know I need to find my own way but reading other peoples advice is helpful. Those of you who are making the changes in your life I applaud you for your effort and motivation. I cannot wait to see the pounds fall off. I am going to take your advice and run with it. Thank you! I will post pictures of my wedding in 6 months!! I am soo excited! Size 10 wedding dress here I come!!