Let's talk salads!

Options
I love eating salad but since I've started counting calories I've noticed my favorite vinaigrette isn't the best choice. I'd much rather have and apple and a banana instead of 2tbsp of dressing at 160 calories. But I also hate eating plain lettuce, It makes me feel like a dinosaur.

How do ya'll dress up your salad? I really hate fruit or sweet dressing in my salads. More of a veggie/protein kinda gal. Gimme ideas please :)

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil. It's too plain for some people, but it gives me just enough.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bolthouse dressings! 30-45 calories 2 tbls and really really good. refrigerator section. i will also dress with grapefruit or other fruits.

eta oops didn't read whole post so missed the "you dont like fruit" sorry
  • LynnSullivan1
    LynnSullivan1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Today I tried some Walden Farm's Thousand Island since it has the best star rating. It tasted decent on a spinach salad. It has no calories. I figured it was worth a try. I'd order it again.
  • steelwill7us
    steelwill7us Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    whalden farms has a few no calorie dressings, try those
  • Mrj183
    Mrj183 Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    i dnt use dressing. Just have a *kitten* load of veges...beetroot and feta is usually enough of a flavor add
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms all the way, they have quite a few flavors and zero calorie.
  • ItsCraash
    ItsCraash Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I will check the no calorie dressings! I just always assumed it they would taste like socks. Worth a try though. Thanks!

How did I not think to put feta in my salad?
  • ItsCraash
    ItsCraash Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Will also try just olive oil!
  • cilleriania
    cilleriania Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Mrj183 wrote: »
    i dnt use dressing. Just have a *kitten* load of veges...beetroot and feta is usually enough of a flavor add
    That +/- lemon juice and herbs
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I make all kind of oil or vinegar's dressings myself ( like balsamic) + spices and herbs
    Indeed Bolthouse farm dressings
    Just some mustard with water (or oil/vinegar) and spices and herbs can make some very nice dressing too
    And lemon juice also.

Just use your imagination :)

Even a bit of water with all kind of spices and herbs can be nice.
    And i sometimes make a kinda avocado mousse with spices. i thin it with water or lemon juice and poor it over my salad.
  • JenileeFinley
    JenileeFinley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Braggs liquid aminos add good flavor and lemon juice and salt
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I love a salad with chicken breast and crumbled feta. I'm normally a ranch kind of girl but it just isn't worth the calories so I tried wishbone zesty Italian dressing, 80 cals for 2 tablespoons and it tastes incredible!
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    Salad with meat, it can tuna, grilled chicken, grilled talapia, steak. I also put siracha hot sauce instead of salad dressing. My salad is a kitchen sink style of salad which is every vegetable I can find.
  • pineapple_pizza
    pineapple_pizza Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I make all kind of oil or vinegar's dressings myself ( like balsamic) + spices and herbs
    Indeed Bolthouse farm dressings
    Just some mustard with water (or oil/vinegar) and spices and herbs can make some very nice dressing too
    And lemon juice also.

Just use your imagination :)

Even a bit of water with all kind of spices and herbs can be nice.
    And i sometimes make a kinda avocado mousse with spices. i thin it with water or lemon juice and poor it over my salad.

Yum, I love the idea of an avocado dressing!

I usually make vinaigrettes at home too. Vinegar (rice & balsamic are my favorite), olive oil, mustard, some sweet component (honey, jam/preserves), and s&p. I've also been meaning to try adding minced shallots for a more savory dressing.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    balsamic vingear
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I like different vinegars, balsamic, red wine, white wine etc. A little olive oil also goes a long way and some of the infused ones are amazing. I sometimes make dressings with a mix of oil, vinegar, mustard and lemon juice - deliciously zesty. None of these things tend to come in over 50 cals a serve.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Kens Light Northern Italian has 45 cals for 2 Tbsp. I've actually gotten to where 1 Tbsp is enough for me, especially with the thinner dressings and using strong flavors in the salad itself (well seasoned meat, onion, fresh herbs, a good feta).
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Add flavorsome ingredients like feta or goat cheese, sundried tomatoes, olives, beetroot, artichoke hearts, meat/poultry/fish/egg etc. Then spice it up with fresh herbs. If you find your salad too dry: add 2tbsp of cottage cheese. Want a dressing? Try harrisa+OJ, lemon juice+mustard, buttermilk+fresh herbs, buttermilk+horseradish, balsamic vinegar (no oil).
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    make your own dressing: olive oil, salt, mint and lemon juice YUMMY!! Also, check newman's own balsamic. i think it has 90 cal per 2tbsp
    I'm currently obsessed with "mexican" salad; mixed greens, black beans, corn, tomatoes, black olives and salsa-- no dressing needed on this one
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I agree with the flavorful ingredients. And avocado will give you a creamy texture. I like to use pico de gallo with either extra lime juice or balsamic vinegar. In a pinch I use my favorite salsa.