Frozen Dinners

Options
85Cardinals
85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
So with the hectic nature of modern life, sometimes you can't cook a reasonable dinner. Or maybe you just can't cook a lick, no judgments here. The classic frozen "tv dinner" can sometimes be a solution.

What frozen dinners do y'all like? I've been eating a lot of Marie Callender's dinners lately. They've been on sale for 2 dollars lately, and that's a steal for how good they are and how much food you get. They're all around 400-500 calories, roughly speaking. And they've always got decent servings and decent sides. The same can't be said of the Lean Cuisines in my experience. Yes, the LC will be 300 calories, but they barely give you any food. LIterally low content!

Here are my Marie Callender faves:
Roasted Garlic Chicken
Grilled Chicken Alfredo Bake
Salisbury Steak
Boneless Pork

Another type of frozen dinner I like are the Stouffer's lasagnas. You get a whole lotta food for $2.8x in the large size. The Lasagna Italiano and the regular Meat Lasagna are the best imo. And they each only have around 600 calories. Hell, I make 2 meals out of them. And they taste great too.

So what are some frozen foods you use? I'd be especially interested in Trader Joe's products since they've recently arrived here in San Antonio. I've heard great things about them.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Amy's-- I pick up some of those meals once in a while. The Mexican Casserole is good.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've had good experiences with Amy's. They're a little more expensive though.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Michelina's Buffalo Chicken bites things.
    Boca Burger Cheeseburger
    Boca Burger Chicken Burger
    Boca Crumbles
    Morning Star Crumbles

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When I used to eat them, Stouffer's were my favorite. Also Banquet Salisbury steaks, which I know everyone hates, nobody has to tell me that they think those are gross. Heard it before.

Now, it all tastes like salt to me. I just cannot get past the saltiness.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I actually really like the "Smart Ones" meals, I've been getting those pretty often. I only like the pasta ones & I don't like the meats they put in any frozen food so I don't get anything with meat. They're all under 300 calories & they give you a decent amount of food.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I will eat pretty much anything that wont kill me, and I've tried quite a few of them. If I had to grab one today for a meal, which brand I chose would be based on what I was trying to accomplish. Some brands are more suited for "bargin fill ups", while others have better nutrition profiles.

I would make 3 recommendations/comments:
    1) Don't buy the low fat/fat free specialty types, they replace the lost flavor with additives like HFCS, huge amounts of sodium, etc.
    2) Make sure to check the nutrients, most have a neutral to bad carb to protein ratio, which can make it difficult to hit protein macro requirements.
    3) Batch cooking and freezing for re-heat later gives you much more control over the nutrition profile and portion sizes.
    Kalikel wrote: »
    ... Also Banquet Salisbury steaks, which I know everyone hates, nobody has to tell me that they think those are gross. Heard it before.

Now, it all tastes like salt to me. I just cannot get past the saltiness.

Family 6 pack, eat 2-3 for the meal, scrape off the gunk from the rest, and use as sandwich meat for lunches.

Grew up eating those. The chicken parm ones were ok too, if you didn't overcook and dry them out.

• lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My husband and I tend to get the Stouffer's Lasagne if we're doing our shop at the regular grcoery store, and I like to have the Marie Callender's Chicken Pot Pie once in a while. We love Trader Joe's because their frozen meals tend to be a good size for two people to get a large meal out of, sometimes with leftovers. Their potstickers, Thai meals, Indian curries (some are a full tray of curry, others are curry+rice), and Mexican dishes have all been solid. They also have more vegetarian/vegan options than a lot of places. We like to buy the Thai Vegetable Gyoza (potstickers), the Orange Chicken, the Kung Pao Chicken, the Palak Paneer, the Channa Masala, the Pizza Parlanno, and their family style or roasted vegetable Lasagnes. The balsamic vegetable medley is also good, as are many of their veggie varieties. We usually pair the potstickers or chicken dishes with the Asian Vegetable Blend or the Beijing Style Vegetables.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I don't do frozen dinners anymore. I got rid of my microwave, so I'm not waiting 45-60 minutes for them to cook in the oven. In that amount of time, I could cook a real meal.

My advice? Learn to cook SOMETHING. Anyone can learn to cook one simple thing.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I eat a Banquet dinner almost every day as part of my lunch. They cost $.89 each at Save-a-lot.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite is Lean Cuisine Mac and Cheese. It's amazeballs.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    too much sodium in all of them. I cook big batches and freeze portions. No excuse to not eat a from scratch meal in my house, there's always something to toss into a pan or microwave.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease so I'm limited to the gluten free options. I enjoy several of the Amy's meals. The Indian varieties especially. I know they are small but I think the Lean Cuisine Chicken Fried Rice and the Korean Beef are really good. I just add something to them to round out the meal.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like the 300 calorie meals. It gives my room for a side salad (or something). None of the frozen meal have enough veggies.

Lean Cuisine Chicken Alfredo ....I stir in some broccoli

Lean Cuisine Apple Cranberry Chicken

Lean Cuisine Chicken A L'Orange
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    I cook big batches and freeze portions.

That's what I do too. I don't ever have to cook during the week if I don't want to, and prefer to just cook and freeze things on weekends.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options

So what are some frozen foods you use? I'd be especially interested in Trader Joe's products since they've recently arrived here in San Antonio.

Good Food Made Simple mixed berry oatmeal. I tried it because it was on sale and was surprised how good it was. The berries are plump, not hard and dried up.

Morningstar Farms veggie meatballs. I'm not a vegetarian but I can have more of these than meat ones. And they aren't bad. And black bean burgers.

Sea Cuisine Mediterranean salmon. It's amazing! Even my husband will eat it and that's a miracle.

Frozen yogurt.

Broccoli!

We don't have a Trader Joe's here. Closest one is hours away. That isn't worth it to me.

• mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Amy's spinach and feta "hot pocket" thingies, Newman's Own frozen pizzas and the Stouffer panini type sandwiches. I wish we had TJ's in my area!
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I usually only do the frozen lunches and only a couple times a week if there are no leftovers. I like many of the Lean Cuisines.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Amy's Mac & Cheese is one of the most delicious meals ever. Also love the Evol brand chicken quesadillas.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I often eat the smaller microwave meals, 200 - 250 calories, but then I add something else, such as a piece of fruit, a yogurt cup, some nuts, raw veggies, etc. That makes up the calorie difference, and also helps me get the rest of my micronutrients.
  • MusicalMelanie11
    MusicalMelanie11 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I looove the Fit Kitchen ones. Most of them have a pretty good amount of protein!

Next to those, I like Healthy Choice Steamers!