Eating back exercise calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    When I'm hungrier, I eat more. In general, I don't eat the exercise calories because I can't lose if I do. If I could eat them, I would eat them.

But I don't sit around going hungry. On hungrier days, I eat more and if it means exceeding my limit, so be it. There are days where I'm under and it mostly balances out.

• Keith3481
    Keith3481 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I eat back my exercise calories because MFP and my actual weight loss seem to agree on what my daily calorie deficit is. I do trend analysis on my weight loss and keep track of my calorie deficit using a spreadsheet. Over the course of 40 day stretches, they match up within about +/- 50 calories/day or so, so I figure my logging abilities and exercise burn are fairly accurate.

I stationary bike using a bicycle hooked up to a trainer, which has more resistance than a typical stationary bike. I use the MFP burn rate for a stationary bike and it seems to be fairly accurate. My heart rate tends to run about 140 bpm, sometimes as high as 160 bpm so I'm putting out the effort. Other forms of exercise may not have as accurate numbers in MFP, from what I've heard anyway. A lot of users here advocate eating back only 1/2 or even 1/4 of the MFP burn rates. I don't really have any experience with the other calorie burns in MFP, just stationary biking on a trainer.
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I used to.

Now I use the TDEE method and include them in my goal, which is simply a different form of eating them back that doesn't require logging.

IF you log accurately and are keeping an aggressive deficit and work out vigorously on top of that without eating more, that's a bad idea. The plans that don't involve eating back are different, as they should be based on an estimate of your overall activity already (or a less aggressive deficit).

This is what I do. I estimated how much exercise I get each week and then set my activity lever to lightly active. I actually qualify for moderately active, but I worry that the fitbit may be overestimating the number of calories burned. Since the exercise calories are already included in my daily limit, I never eat anything back unless I average over 15,000 steps. Even then I only eat back some of the calories (less than half) if I'm really hungry. This may change, though, as I continue to lose weight and my TDEE decreases.

89322926.png
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories unless I've gone over my 1200 calories in food which is rare. Once in a while, I have to jump on the exerbike to get me out of the red, but that only happens maybe once a month or so.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I eat most of mine back, I don't eat them all to try and make up for inaccurate logging or items I haven't logged in my diary. I've been a bit slack lately in not adding a chocolate biscuit here or a row of chocolate there :flushed:

But when I'm on point with my logging then I do usually eat them all back.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    Options
    I eat most of mine back, I don't eat them all to try and make up for inaccurate logging or items I haven't logged in my diary. I've been a bit slack lately in not adding a chocolate biscuit here or a row of chocolate there :flushed:

Shattered myth-conceptions!

I was holding up your diary as the seminal ouevre of a consummate professional, and now I find out that CHOCOLATE was hidden in the side-lines!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    For all the people here who say " I dont eat them back i do TDEE"

You all eat them back TDEE is included exercise calories.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

I was holding up your diary as the seminal ouevre of a consummate professional, and now I find out that CHOCOLATE was hidden in the side-lines!

Haha its only been for the last couple of weeks. I've been back on track since Monday, Every single thing has been accounted for in my diary since then. :+1:

I just got a slight case of diet fatigue and rebelled man :tongue:

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    When I exercise a lot, I leave hundreds of calories on the table at the end of the day, so I'm clearly not eating them all back, but I haven't bothered to figure out the percentage. Should my weight loss stall, I'll revisit this. But since my goal is to lose a pound a week, and I am losing a pound per week, I haven't fine tuned this.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Haha its only been for the last couple of weeks. I've been back on track since Monday, Every single thing has been accounted for in my diary since then. :+1:

I just got a slight case of diet fatigue and rebelled man :tongue:
    Happens to the best of us!

You can only weigh and log every little bite for so long before you need a break.

So much better to take a little break and then get back to it, all refreshed. :)