Changing setting for Period

Options
I have realised that I have realised that when I am on my period I want to eat everything that I see and end up going over my calories and once I have gone over, I just don't care and carry on.

So I was thinking of changing my setting to 0.5lbs/week instead of 1lb/week whilst I am on, therefore making it more difficult to go over and almost psychologically manipulating me not to eat as much?

What are your opinions on this? I would still be losing during that week right? Any advise would be great :smiley:

Replies

• plaffo786
    plaffo786 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I hear you! Same problem at the moment I'm wondering when hormonal does our body crave more during its period
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I play with my goals all of the time for the same reasons. Better to lose a little less that week-than start bingeing and lose control
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Seeing the numbers in red doesn't really bother me. I just eat and log. and I think this is going to be the first month that I haven't seen my weight drop on the last day (but I'm down to my last 5 pounds, after losing 65).

So far as "still losing weight that week," that has more to do with whether you're still in a deficit for the whole week or not. And remember, the scale might not drop every single week, whether you've maintained a deficit or not. Sometimes the body hangs on to weight longer than I personally feel is necessary.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like a good idea!
    I'm down to the last few kg and I don't care how long it takes me so I recently changed my MFP settings to maintenance and just strive to come in below that. Ideally I'd like to keep a 250kcal deficit for a 0.25kg loss but I find this setting psychologically healthier for me at this point.
  • J383
    J383 Posts: 4,573 Member
    Options
    I was dealing with the same issue, but I have learned to direct my attention. I keep super busy and drink tons of water. If I still have the same feeling I eat a handful of almonds. So far I am doing great at redirecting my eating habits. It is a big mental leap for sure!
  • mariedufore
    mariedufore Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One thing I found helpful was to make sure I was getting enough calcium/magnesium, vitamin C, potassium and iron. I take these supplements daily, not just during my period (except the potassium-I just eat a banana every day the week before my period and during the week of my period). I'm not saying my cravings are gone completely, but I feel better overall and I'm able to take a minute to make a healthy choice before eating 2 Lindt chocolate bars and a bag of Doritos :).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You could try it and see if it helps you. Realize that you may not see your weight go down that week due to water retention anyway even if you stick close to your calorie goal.

I would find it annoying to change the goal every month instead of just realizing I can go a couple hundred calories over and be okay.
    I generally have one or two really hungry days with my period. I am okay having a day or two that I eat at maintenance level. I still prelog my food for the day. I try to get enough protein, fat, fiber. I drink water. I take vitamins. I try to get enough sleep. I exercise. I may eat a piece of dark chocolate.

• meaghandyer
    meaghandyer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Add exercise too! Double benefit of being able to eat what you want to make up the exercised calories and for me the endorphins make my cramps SO much better.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    amyr271 wrote: »
    I have realised that I have realised that when I am on my period I want to eat everything that I see and end up going over my calories and once I have gone over, I just don't care and carry on.

So I was thinking of changing my setting to 0.5lbs/week instead of 1lb/week whilst I am on, therefore making it more difficult to go over and almost psychologically manipulating me not to eat as much?

What are your opinions on this? I would still be losing during that week right? Any advise would be great :smiley:

Sure, I think this is a great idea to prevent the "I'm over, f-it mentality."

I made some changes and pre-menstrual food cravings are much less of an issue for me these days, but due to the way I hemorrhage, I think I should get some extra calories, and have changed my settings too.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    um craving food and being hungry is two different things...

eat more protein and fat to stay fuller longer if you are actually hungry...

If you are just noshing stop....

and OP you only have 21lbs left why aren't you at 1/2lb a week now?