kholrabi anyone?

Options
xonophone
xonophone Posts: 474 Member
I got some from my CSA today and don't know what to do with it. Does anyone have any good recipes they care to share?

Replies

• swade32
    swade32 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Peel, slice and boil.
    I found a recipe that looked good today, leek, kholrabi, onion tart. And actually pretty easy.
  • swade32
    Options
    http://www.denverpost.com/food/ci_12032159

Here is a link for that recipe.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I grew up with kohlrabi, my favorite way to eat it is raw, sliced semi thin. I peel and slice them, put them in a bowl of cold salted water. They last pretty good in the fridge just like that (keep in the water to retain moisture and crunch)

It's also great in soups, my fav. or baked.. great potato replacement just like rutebaga!
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.. I dont know what it is.:huh:
  • xonophone
    Options
    http://www.denverpost.com/food/ci_12032159

Here is a link for that recipe.

That does sound good, thanks!

Also, does anyone know how to prepare the leaves? Can I just saute them in garlic & olive oil and drizzle with lemon juice, like I would with kale, spinach or any other greens? Or are they too bitter/tough/not tasty enough to bother?
  • swade32
    Options
    I will have to try that too. I don't really know different ways to eat them.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that kholrabi leaves are too tasty. I've never heard of anyone eating them! Compost pile? Or maybe could use in making a stock?
  • xonophone
    Options
    Actually I sauteed the leaves tonight in olive oil & garlic, added to whole wheat pasta and sqeezed a lemon over the whole thing. Tasted very healthy. And after googling last night, I think the leaves do make an excellent addition to chicken soup!:smile: