Show us your failed meals!

Options

Replies

• Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Can show you, but I made a quiche 2 nights ago, but used a round cake tin with a removable bottom instead of a quiche dish. 1/2 the mixture leaked out, to the bottom of the oven. What was left tasted good, I bought a quiche dish this afternoon.

I had a major fail with a cheesecake using one of those tins not long ago! they can be quite tricky!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    vegetable omelettes!!! WHY do I always stuff them up?!?! How the f do you make them successfully!

This is way i have scrambled eggs for breakfast i gave up on trying to make Omelettes :laugh:

HAHAH i don't even go THAT far! Ends up being poached eggs! I can poach but not omelette haha. Seriously everytime I try doing it and doing that flip thing it turns to mush hahah maybe a bit too many veggies

Hot tip :tongue: Use a non stick pan that has low sides. Cook it all your stuff, then add the eggs last. Cook on medium heat. When you think it's about done but the top is still moist, take it off the stove and put it under the grill. Leave the plastic handle out! You can probably turn it 90 deg to get it evenly cooked. Then you just need to get a spatula around the edges and then further to the middle. Angle pan and just let it slide out onto the plate. That is the method I use and I make omelettes that are the size of a large plate :smile:

Thanks for that Ill have to give it a try, And try remember to leave the handle out ...I'm good at burning/melting things as well as not being able to work a crockpot :laugh: :laugh:
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Also melb_alex I suck at omelettes too lol, I think I try to put too many things in them! Always turns into scrambled eggs.

Same! I have once successfully made an omelette and now I struggle every time.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    Also melb_alex I suck at omelettes too lol, I think I try to put too many things in them! Always turns into scrambled eggs.

It the first thing i learnt to cook when i was year 7 in school! i was pro for ages but i cannot for the life of me remember how to do it!
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I was too mad to even think about taking a picture of my ruined turkey burgers today. Burned on the outside and raw on the inside. It was my first attempt on the Foreman grill. I threw it away, what a waste of money.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    They either undercook or burn those things! i could never figure out how to use it right
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    The only thing I could ever grill right on the Foreman was a Panini, everything else burned :grumble:
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    The only thing I could ever grill right on the Foreman was a Panini, everything else burned :grumble:

:laugh: :laugh:
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using a zip lock bag in the microwave to make an 'omlette', instead of frypan?
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Whenever I put ziplocs in the microwave they melt away to nothing... doesn't seem very healthy...
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    One fully functional buckwheat pancake, and one, erm, seamonster

2012-02-18092853_zpsfffe2061.jpg
  • astrylian
    astrylian Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Ever tried filling the skillet with the egg mixture, putting a plate over the top while it cooks on low heat, then adding the veggies to one side and flipping the side over? Always works for me, no problem.
  • amy1612
    Options
    I'm pretty awesome at omelette,lol. I either cook off the things Im adding, remove, cook eggs on one side, pour in filling and flip one side over. Or cook filling, pour eggs over. Cook bottom and pop under the grill until done
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    vegetable omelettes!!! WHY do I always stuff them up?!?! How the f do you make them successfully!

Omelets I do well! I usually use leftover veggies from some meal before. If I don't have any then I cook my vegetables first. I make them on cast iron usually but sometimes use my non-stick pan. Of course, preheat your pan with either a spray of non-stick spray or about a teaspoon of oil spread around. It should be hot enough so it makes a drop of water sizzle. Too much egg and it will break when you go to flip it. I either use 2 whole eggs or 1 whole egg and 2-3 egg whites. Scramble them well with a fork (in a separate bowl) then dump into the pan. Tip the pan back and forth, as needed, to get even coverage on the pan. It should be at a medium low - medium heat. Season. I use salt, pepper, chives, and cilantro. Now you can put a lid on your pan right now to cook it faster. You want it to almost cook through before you flip it. If using cast iron, or an older non-stick pan, you'll want to make sure you loosen the egg where it may be stuck to the pan. Flip with your spatula. As soon as I flip it I turn it to low heat. Next put on your cheese, if you are using cheese.. it'll be closer to the heat and melt faster. Then throw on your veggies. If you are like me, and totally overstuff your omelet, then you may just want to remove the egg flat before adding the veggies.. because transfer from pan to plate can be a mess otherwise. So you'll want your veggies already hot/warm if you do that.

My FIL makes omletes differently. He'll put the egg in the pan then start throwing veggies in. Which will leave your egg raw and gooey in the middle. I hate gooey egg whites. So if we're eating breakfast there and he's making omeletes I throw them in the microwave for about a minutes.. say I'm in the mood for something super hot that morning. But then it's cooked through and I'm not looking green trying to eat the uncooked egg.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    Have you tried using a zip lock bag in the microwave to make an 'omlette', instead of frypan?

I don't have a microwave!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options

Ever tried filling the skillet with the egg mixture, putting a plate over the top while it cooks on low heat, then adding the veggies to one side and flipping the side over? Always works for me, no problem.

I think i need a new pan i tried again this morning....didn't end well! was going to take a photo but i was to ashamed haha :laugh: :laugh:
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options

Think the pics to big to see the other one, that one is perfect tho good job
  • amy1612
    Options

Think the pics to big to see the other one, that one is perfect tho good job

Apologies. I have no idea how to resize.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options

Turn the heat way down and then patiently wait until the top of the omelet starts to look cooked (do not touch it before).
    Then, rather than flipping it with utensils, slide it onto a plate and flip the plate upside down above the pan.
    Then don't really cook it for that much longer, just give it a bit of color on the other side as well.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    my crockpot has 2 settings, interior of a volcano and surface of the sun. Anything left in it for more than 3 or 4 hours turns into a lump of burnt, I really need to just pitch the thing and get a better one. The lump of burn lasagna was the best one to try and chip out of the pot :P