How long does it take? (Water retention + )

Options
I had a little binge yesterday with some excess calories (probably a tad over my maitnance) and a ton of sodium. I was having tortilla chips with salt like they were celery sticks. I didn't drink an excessive amount of water to counter it, but I did excercise a little more than normal.
I was surprised when I got on the scale this morning and was up just .4 lbs from yesterday's weigh in - well within a normal fluctuation.
So I'm wondering how long that salty cheat day is going to take to catch up to me. Or did I somehow avoid it?
Usually it takes about a week to come down from a sodium / water retention high, but I guess I had figured it would raise to that high weight pretty much immediately....

Replies

• dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Time needed to shed sodium based water retention? For me not so much. I can 86 those 4 lbs in a 30-35 min run (it's a bit warm out). Carb-based (glycogen) water retention usually takes a couple days to a week.
  • Aussie_in_PA
    Aussie_in_PA Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If I am on a rest day. about 24-36 hours after my next workout. Like dpwellman said about sodium, if I exercise and sweat a lot, very quickly (within the 24 hour period).