Visco-supplementation (rooster comb) injections

Options
Calliope610
Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
I had knee arthroscopy to remove/clean up a torn menicus 8 weeks ago and started visco-supplementation injections last Tuesday (07/07/15). I has my 2nd of 3 injections this past Tuesday. I have experienced some discomfort in the injection spot, kinda a full, swollen, achy feeling, after each injection lasting 2-3 days.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

thanks

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I had cortisone shots in my knee. Usually the injection site and the joint hurt for a few days. My knee often feels squishy/full and achy for a while as well (probably because they shove a huge needle between the bones to fill the space with liquid).
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    did you get synvisc?? I had the same experience (and can't say the shots did any good in the end for me sadly)

edited to add - I found the synvisc shots waaaaaay more painful in the aftermath than the cortisone shots - I think the synvisc they dig in there deeper than the cortisone - could move around fine after cortisone but could barely limp around for the rest of the day after synvisc.
  • LynnMOlson50
    LynnMOlson50 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the synvisc shots several times in both knees and there is a period of a few days where it feels slightly swollen and achy. (exactly as the above poster states-- large needle filling the space with liquid!!) However, this fades in about a week and then the cushioning effect is there without the discomfort. I ended up with an allergic reaction to them after getting the shots for several years. I was very unhappy about not being able to continue getting them as the relief was wonderful for several months to a year following the shots. I ended up going to cortisone injections which were helpful but didn't last nearly as long. I have now progressed to total knee replacements. Left one was Jan 2013 and right scheduled for Dec 2015.