need advice! !!

Hi today I'm going to stated counting the calories I eat in suppose to eat 1,300 but I'm not sure what to eat can you guys give me some advice please

Also add me I need friends to motivate me

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Eat foods that you like in portion sizes that fit in your goals.

Get plenty of fat, fiber, and protein to help with hunger and health.

Eat plenty of veggies for the micronutrients.

Fill in the rest with sweets and treats if you want them.

Food choices and meal planning are so personal depending on your goals, needs, and preferences. There are so many different ways that you can structure it. The amount of food matters far more than the types of food. You can start by logging what you're eating now and make small changes.

I really like this link if you're just getting started: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Tami_H
    Tami_H Posts: 67 Member
    My advice is make those 1300 calories count so you're not hungry. Drink 8 glasses or more of water every day and stick with fruits and veggies, lean meats (seafood and chicken are best) and whole grains. Limit fats, sugar salt and alcohol. If you eat more than your daily allowance, you can earn back some calories with exercise. Allow yourself a treat now and then and don't beat yourself up when you do. The important thing is to come back and keep doing your best everyday. This is a great weight loss tool and the friends you make along the way are priceless. Feel free to add me for support.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited July 2015
    And remember the way MFP works - that 1300 goal is ONLY on the days you do no exercise and are the activity level you told MFP you were outside of exercise - perhaps Sedentary.

But on days you burn more because of exercise - you eat more.
    But you still are eating less than you burn by same amount and therefore weekly goal is met.

Accomplished by logging your exercise honestly and accurately and following the Goal that MFP gives you for eating.
  • FellyFabulous
    FellyFabulous Posts: 32 Member

^^ Don't follow this!!!!!

A treat is just that.. something you use to treat yourself for something well done or on a cheat day. If you're going to "fill in the rest" with sweets, make sure the sugar content is low! In my opinion, the sugar content counts way more than the calorie content of an item.

No offense to the author of that post.

Since I started a month or so ago, I've include a lot of fruits and veggies into my meal planning. I eat foods that are lean, but high in protein.

This is a typical day for me:

Breakfast:

One scrambled egg + one scrambled egg white, with low fat kraft single, and 100 calorie bagel thin or sandwich thin (My own version of a breakfast sandwich).

Snack:

1/2 cup low salt, low sodium, cottage cheese (It's really filling and super high in protein)
    Strawberries

Lunch:

Grilled chicken (or steak, or a protein of your choice so long as it's lean);
    Salad, summer squash, beets, etc.

Snack:

Celery sticks and a tablespoon of peanut butter

Dinner:

Any lean protein...

I include spices and / or sauces (chunky salsa, bbq sauce, etc) that are low in sugar and low in salt for flavor.. I'm always satisfied, don't go to bed hungry, and I incorporate a glass of wine a couple of times a week.

I can eat 1380 calories.

Good luck!

• lyranah
    lyranah Posts: 1 Member
    Ok girl here is some info for you.
    1st off 1300 calories sounds a little low and you should drink TONS of water to help not get hungry, aim for 3 liters a day and get a large water bottle that is 1/2 a liter and drink 6 of them a day. You might consider 1500 calories, you will loose weight on 1500 and avoid sabotaging yourself because on 1300 you might grab for cookies or something in desperation of being hungry. They KEY is to MAINTAIN a small and DOABLE caloric deficit over 6-8 weeks and be CONSISTENT! Here are some sample meal plans and my fav recipe blogs!!

http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/weight_loss_diet_plans/diet_meal_plans/5_day_1500_calorie_diet_meal_plan

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/1500-calories-meal-plan

http://www.busybuthealthy.com/recipelist/

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/weight-loss/plans/1500/eat-more-to-lose-weight-1500-calorie-summer-diet-plan/

http://www.fitnessandfuel-la.com/blog/

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I agree with "allowing" for treats.

You decide. Is this a diet - a temporary way of eating until the weight is gone. OR is this a lifestyle change? I need to learn how to manage treats now, because they are my downfall...and not something I will be giving up forever.

You do not have to limit fats. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat. Dietary fat is filling. You will find your own way.
  • FellyFabulous
    edited July 2015

TeaBea - You said it better than I did... What I meant by my comment is that you can "allow" for treats, but (In my opinion) you shouldn't allow for treats everyday.. Especially if this is a lifestyle change, learning to manage certain things is key.

My downfall is Starbucks. I haven't cut it out completely - I've adjusted my order so I can still order it all the time, but it has 1/2 the fat and 1/2 the sugar content of what I was drinking.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member

A treat is just that.. something you use to treat yourself for something well done or on a cheat day. If you're going to "fill in the rest" with sweets, make sure the sugar content is low! In my opinion, the sugar content counts way more than the calorie content of an item.

a calorie is a calorie.
    I eat ice cream nearly every day.

sugar content has nothing to do with anything unless you have a medical condition
  • FellyFabulous
    edited July 2015
    moyer566 wrote: »

a calorie is a calorie.
    I eat ice cream nearly every day.

sugar content has nothing to do with anything unless you have a medical condition

http://www.livestrong.com/article/408673-does-sugar-turn-into-fat/

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/eating-too-much-added-sugar-increases-the-risk-of-dying-with-heart-disease-201402067021

--start quote--

Naturally occurring sugar—which gives fruit, some veggies, and milk their sweet taste—is perfectly healthy. It's added sugar (sweeteners put in during processing and prep) that we need to not OD on. No need to cut out dessert: The key is to eat strategically.

--end quote--

http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20637702,00.html
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    OP, as you can see you're going to get a lot of conflicting advice when it comes to diets. Do your own research and decide what you're comfortable with and what you feel best doing.

I'll just leave this here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10197460/sugar-faq-june-2015/p1
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited July 2015
    Wow - what a jump in logic from having some "treats" that may or may not have added sugar in them

to

"we need to not OD on" them, and "schooling someone that it's ok to have diet high in sugar".

Calm down dude - none of that was actually said. Reread without emotion what those others actually said.

You might want to do some research as to how the body treats the added sugar and all the sugar in those fruits and vegetables you are talking about.
    Considering outside the comments about pop in that one blog - they don't even define how in the world you could possible tell it's added vs natural.
    Let's see, this bread has 18 g of carbs, and 8 sugar. And sugar is listed in the ingredients down the list. I wonder how much of that 8 is added, or naturally occurring?

"Added sugars include all sugars used in processed or prepared foods, such as sugar-sweetened beverages, grain-based desserts, fruit drinks, dairy desserts, candy, ready-to-eat cereals, and yeast breads, but not naturally occurring sugar, such as in fruits and fruit juices. We used 24-hour dietary recall to estimate intake of added sugar."

But all that sugar is not added to breads or desserts - the others may be mostly. But where did anyway say to make your diet mostly those things?

And in a diet - unless going hog wild, your body is slightly depleted of glucose stores in your muscles to some extent all the time - so the ability to have sugar store as fat is few and far between.
    Have more but still in a diet - and it just tops off those stores.

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    My downfall is Starbucks. I haven't cut it out completely - I've adjusted my order so I can still order it all the time, but it has 1/2 the fat and 1/2 the sugar content of what I was drinking.

I think this is point people are making about 'treats'. Technically, Starbucks isn't necessary for your body to function, but it tastes good and you've found a way to work it into your daily diet. One of my treats is the breadsticks at Olive Garden. They're pure tasty garlicy buttery carbs, and honestly, I'd probably be better off without them. But I found out that I can limit how many I eat to fit it into my daily diet on days I eat there.

OP, the point is, if there's a certain food you just crave a lot of and don't want to give up, regardless of the nutritional content, you can work it into your daily diet. That might be Starbucks or ice cream or cookies or chips or a variety of things. As long as you're meeting your body's nutritional needs, extra calories can be used for whatever you want, even if it has higher sugar. Sugar is necessary for your body to function, so long as you don't pig out and go way over the recommended amount for your body, you should be fine. I say 'for your body' because different people have different needs. Someone who's diabetic can't have as much sugar as someone who isn't. But then, they know that and adjust accordingly. There's so much differing opinions on how much of something is too much, be it sugar or salt or what-have-you, that you really have to look into the matter for yourself. Maybe talk with your doctor if you want a professional opinion.